The Student Room Group

Does England get a say in Scottish independance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mstone12
would Scottish independence affect people south of the border if so why shouldn't they have a say

So if the UK were to decide if we should leave the EU you'd want all other EU countries to decide if we could...?
Reply 21
Original post by Quady
So if the UK were to decide if we should leave the EU you'd want all other EU countries to decide if we could...?

well other eu countries economy isn't connected like the uk
Reply 22
well other eu countries economy isn't connected like the uk

No, no...
lol
Reply 23
Original post by Quady
No, no...
lol

ok so lets say tomorrow Scotland was independence who would benefit and who would lose out from it ?
Reply 24
ok so lets say tomorrow Scotland was independence who would benefit and who would lose out from it ?

Depends on your viewpoint of 'benefit'.

Economically in the short term Scotland and the rUK would suffer.

Naturally it'd be more on the Scottish side since total Scottish GDP is 12% that of the rUK so naturally the amount of trade between the two is a larger %age for Scotland than it is rUK.

Over time as oil revenues reduce the rUK would become relatively better off.
Reply 25
We have no business interfering with other countries.
If the rUK decided it would rather ditch Scotland, I'd say they should be allowed to, yes. But democracy says if the Scots want to go, they go regardless of what rUK says.
Reply 27
Original post by Quady
Depends on your viewpoint of 'benefit'.

Economically in the short term Scotland and the rUK would suffer.

Naturally it'd be more on the Scottish side since total Scottish GDP is 12% that of the rUK so naturally the amount of trade between the two is a larger %age for Scotland than it is rUK.

Over time as oil revenues reduce the rUK would become relatively better off.

would it affect oil price for the average user would it be less taxed etc
Reply 28
Well I suppose from the SNP's perspective it'd be like giving a sadistic husband (England) a veto over his battered wife's attempts to finally divorce him.
I do, as I go to uni here. Don't think I'd be able to if I didn't though.
Reply 30
would it affect oil price for the average user would it be less taxed etc

No... why would it be? :s-smilie:

Edit
If anything tax in iScotland would go up, although thats unlikely to be on fuel.
Original post by Joeman560
We should but we won't, the reason being, we're English.

What right does England have to tell the Scots whether or not they remain in the UK?
Reply 32
No they don't.

I'm not in favour of independence. I probably won't vote at all but I do think David Cameron should take up Alex Salmond's offer of a debate. However, I think he's well aware that there is no way he could come out of that in a positive light as Salmond is probably Britain's best debater.
Original post by Zürich
What right does England have to tell the Scots whether or not they remain in the UK?

None, but we should have the right to decide whether we want to join a currency union.
Original post by Joeman560
None, but we should have the right to decide whether we want to join a currency union.

agree 100% then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending