The Student Room Group

tricky differentiation question help

"a hollow right circular cone has a height 18cm and base radius 12cm. It is held vertex downwards beneath a tap leaking at a rate of 2cm^3s-1. Find the rate of rise of water level when the depth is 6cm.

Ok so

dv/dt=2

and we have to find dh/dt (h=height)

so dv/dt = dv/dh x dh/dt

to find dv/dh i found the radius of the cone a 6cm from the vertex by using direct proportion and i got it to be 4cm. I then used v=1/3 pi r^2 h and substituted my new value of r (4cm) and differentiated to get dv/dh= (16/3)pi

I then did 2=(16/3)pi x dh/dt and rearranged to find dh/dt which is the rate of change of the height of the water when the radius=4 i.e the height=6... but i dont get the right answer

is my method wrong? thanks
Original post by Mr Tall
"a hollow right circular cone has a height 18cm and base radius 12cm. It is held vertex downwards beneath a tap leaking at a rate of 2cm^3s-1. Find the rate of rise of water level when the depth is 6cm.

Ok so

dv/dt=2

and we have to find dh/dt (h=height)

so dv/dt = dv/dh x dh/dt

to find dv/dh i found the radius of the cone a 6cm from the vertex by using direct proportion and i got it to be 4cm. I then used v=1/3 pi r^2 h and substituted my new value of r (4cm) and differentiated to get dv/dh= (16/3)pi

I then did 2=(16/3)pi x dh/dt and rearranged to find dh/dt which is the rate of change of the height of the water when the radius=4 i.e the height=6... but i dont get the right answer

is my method wrong? thanks

I think so. You need V in terms of h only before finding dV/dh
so you should be differentiating V=4π27h3V= \frac{4\pi}{27}h^3
Reply 2
Original post by brianeverit

do you not just differentate the equation for the volume of a cone and insert the value of the radius? where do you get that equation?
Original post by Mr Tall
do you not just differentate the equation for the volume of a cone and insert the value of the radius? where do you get that equation?

You can only differentiate something if it is a function of a single variable, so use the constraints you have been given in the question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by majmuh24
You can only differentiate something if it is a function of a single variable, so use the constraints you have been given in the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

please explain....im so lost
Original post by Mr Tall
please explain....im so lost

Use the constraints given in the question to express the volume of the cone in terms of it's height (Hint: use the formula for volume of a cone)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Use the constraints given in the question to express the volume of the cone in terms of it's height (Hint: use the formula for volume of a cone)

Posted from TSR Mobile

but the volume of a cone is 13πr2h\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h ?
Original post by Mr Tall
but the volume of a cone is 13πr2h\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h ?

And you need to find a way to get that formula in terms of a single variable (in this case h) before you can differentiate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
And you need to find a way to get that formula in terms of a single variable (in this case h) before you can differentiate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why can we just h=6?
Original post by Mr Tall
why can we just h=6?

You need to differentiate first, then you can substitute in the h=6, or equivalant, into the derivative. Although you're evaluating the derivative at a specific value of h, h is not a constant in the formula, it varies as r varies.
Reply 10
Original post by ghostwalker
You need to differentiate first, then you can substitute in the h=6, or equivalant, into the derivative. Although you're evaluating the derivative at a specific value of h, h is not a constant in the formula, it varies as r varies.

ok so i guess i use Pythagoras theorem to find the slope of the cone the sub r^2 into the formula for the volume?
Reply 11
Original post by brianeverit

how exactly do you get this? :frown: iv tried everything and i cannot get it!:frown:
Original post by Mr Tall
ok so i guess i use Pythagoras theorem to find the slope of the cone the sub r^2 into the formula for the volume?

Don't know what Pythagoras has to do with it. It should be clear that the r is proportional to h, and since you know r=12 when h=18, the relationship between the two is....
Reply 13
Original post by ghostwalker
Don't know what Pythagoras has to do with it. It should be clear that the r is proportional to h, and since you know r=12 when h=18, the relationship between the two is....

yea r = 4 when h =6?
Original post by Mr Tall
yea r = 4 when h =6?

Do you know what proportionality is?

R=kH, so when you know the values of R and H you can sub to find k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Tall
how exactly do you get this? :frown: iv tried everything and i cannot get it!:frown:

The height and radius are in the ration 3:2 so substitute r=(2h)/3 in pl;ace of r in the volume formula.

Quick Reply

Latest