The Student Room Group

What should I choose?

I'm in Y11 and I've got my options booklet coming up for A-Levels and I have also got my GCSE's coming up.
But, I don't have a clue what to choose. I have no idea about the difficulty of the subjects and I have no clue about the workload. So, for these subjects ( the ones I am considering), could you answer the my queries- in order of preference:
(1)Economics
(2)History/Physics/Maths/Psychology/Sociology
(3) Chemistry/Philosophy/Government and Politics/ Law
How likely am I likely to get AAA from these subjects as I want to study Law at Oxford.
Original post by GlennWilly
I'm in Y11 and I've got my options booklet coming up for A-Levels and I have also got my GCSE's coming up.
But, I don't have a clue what to choose. I have no idea about the difficulty of the subjects and I have no clue about the workload. So, for these subjects ( the ones I am considering), could you answer the my queries- in order of preference:
(1)Economics
How likely am I likely to get AAA from these subjects as I want to study Law at Oxford.

I'm currently doing A2 History and I'd really recommend it, it's a great subject to do for Law and is very respected! The workload is tough at times; you obviously have to do plenty of essays and there's so much you need to know, it's ridiculous! :tongue: but if you enjoy the subject as much as I do, you won't find it too bad! It's absolutely fascinating, teaches great skills and is very rewarding :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Right I'm in Year 13 and I took geography, maths, psychology and sociology for AS, got A's in all of them and have a place at Cambridge to study psychology (A*AA).
Psychology and sociology are a lot to remember, if you're good at writing essays then these are the one's for you. Both are interesting and the workload is quite low for both (in comparison to say geography)
Maths is a hard subject. I am finding it a bit of a struggle at A2 although it was ok at AS. The workload for maths depends on what school you go to, I'd ask around there.
All in all, to do a subject like law you'll be looking to do more 'facilitating subjects'. These are subjects which universities like the look of because they're not easy options. Maths is facilitating, as is geography (so this may apply to history) and any science subject.
Reply 3
Original post by GlennWilly
(1)Economics

Hey:smile: well im currently doing A2 economics and trust me, you have to be good with graphs and remembering them all. Theres at least 35 in the unit3! Also good maths skills are preferred, mine are terrible which is why im only on track for a B at the minute! But if you can do this i think you should go for it because its very rewarding and plus universities LOVE economics. Also it could really help with your law as much as you may think the subjects dont relate. UNIS LOVE ECONOMICS. Also the sciences are extremely difficult, mainly chemistry but ive heard biology is a bit easier, but not the easiest. I know you want 3 A's and it would be easy to choose three of the easiest subjects like business, leisure etc but if you want to apply to oxford then you cant do this and need good a level subjects that can relate. Psychology is a well admired a level more than sociology(which im taking) and not overly difficult, just a lot of remembering. Government and politics would go very well for doing Law for sure.

This you may jot believe but i have been told this countless times but maybe your uni is different. Unis want people for law courses who havent studied it. I was going to apply for law and read this quite a lot. Maybe its because they have to teach you the basics anyway so prefer you to come without the knowledge?

Traditional unis like oxford like traditional subjects such as maths, english, science but i think they've become a lot more open. But sorry for the long reply, i think you should go for psychology, government and politics and economics because theyre good subjects and also allow you to get an A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest