The Student Room Group

Do you get to pick your teachers in college?

By college I mean sixth form.

I just had my college interview and got offered a place, which I accepted. The interviewer was one of the maths teachers at the college, and I got along so well with him! I'd love if he was my maths teacher when I start... Is it possible to pick your teachers or do you get a mix of all of them?

No student in the UK gets to pick and choose their teacher/lecturer. Sorry :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Secretnerd123
No student in the UK gets to pick and choose their teacher/lecturer. Sorry :smile:

That's a pretty sweeping statement. How do you know this?
Reply 3
Original post by Secretnerd123

I did. (at a state sixth form college)

Original post by KingKumar
That's a pretty sweeping statement. How do you know this?

She doesn't. It's not true.
No sorry, my maths teacher was a boring sweaty, pedophilic man who ultimately failed the school. Got fired pronto ^_^
I have heard of some Sixth forms that do let you choose your teachers (most of them are independent schools) but the vast majority do not.
Not really. I was given a maths teacher I didn't want at the start of the year, and just asked to change classes, and I was allowed.

Worked for the best because I get away with murder with this teacher.
Reply 7
Original post by alow

She doesn't. It's not true.

Hehe, I know. :biggrin: You can sometimes choose teachers at my sixth form. I was planning on her either admitting her foolishness or standing by her statement,allowing me to rip it down. <-------- wow, I sound so cruel!

How did you yourself go about choosing your teachers?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hehe, I know. :biggrin: You can sometimes choose teachers at my sixth form. I was planning on her either admitting her foolishness or standing by her statement,allowing me to rip it down. <-------- wow, I sound so cruel!

How did you yourself go about choosing your teachers?

I picked the heads of departments. My personal tutor liked me so she let me pick, nobody else I know did.
Reply 9
Original post by CJG21

I was thinking about doing this if I end up with a bad teacher but how do you talk/act with this rejected teacher when you have to. They can't be happy that you thought they were a bad teacher.
I think it might be possible to switch classes but I don't think you'll be able to straight choose your teacher.
This is my plan for A2 if I don't get the teacher I would like. :smile:
I was thinking about doing this if I end up with a bad teacher but how do you talk/act with this rejected teacher when you have to. They can't be happy that you thought they were a bad teacher.

I wanted the teacher I had last year, that's why I changed.

They honestly wouldn't care. They have bigger things to worry about.
Reply 12
No
Reply 13
Well thanks guys :smile: I'll have a talk with the college, or the teacher personally, and ask if I can be in his class.
I couldn't :s-smilie:
Original post by lianaist
By college I mean sixth form.

I just had my college interview and got offered a place, which I accepted. The interviewer was one of the maths teachers at the college, and I got along so well with him! I'd love if he was my maths teacher when I start... Is it possible to pick your teachers or do you get a mix of all of them?

Most 6th forms dont let you choose which teachers you get. You just get whichever teacher is timetabled to teach your class. If all 6th forms did that- there could be problems with different students in the class wanting different teachers. And you can imagine the chaos that would cause. It might be worth asking to see if your 6th form does let you choose which teachers you get, but i think that very few would do this.
No, I don't think so, I've never heard of anyone being able to pick their teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending