The Student Room Group

Dating 2 people?

I've recently ventured into online dating after not having much luck in the real world. I've been chatting to a guy I quite like for a few days now and we're going for drinks on Friday. However there's another guy who also seems quite nice who's suggested going out next week.

Is it bad form to keep my options open and go on a date with each of them and see who I like more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
This is completely normal in the online dating world. 4-5 people at once isn't unusual.
Reply 2
Original post by mathsmathsmaths
What you're suggesting doesn't sound that bad. But it probably depends how well you know them and how much they have invested in the relationship.

Could you let them know that you plan to do this?

Obviously neither of them has any right to you, but it seems a bit mean to two time somebody who really likes you (rather than breaking it off with them or going out with them exclusively).

I didn't think it would be two-timing since I've never met either of them in real life and I've not made any form of commitment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, you haven't met them yet so there is nothing wrong with meeting both of them and deciding which one, if any, you would like to pursue further.
Reply 4
Original post by Odd socks
I've recently ventured into online dating after not having much luck in the real world. I've been chatting to a guy I quite like for a few days now and we're going for drinks on Friday. However there's another guy who also seems quite nice who's suggested going out next week.

Is it bad form to keep my options open and go on a date with each of them and see who I like more?

Initially, sure

However, if Friday seems nice and asks you out again before the next date then I think you should cancel the second guy
Reply 5
You're probably a better judge than me of the situation.

Are they both just in the stage of "seeing how it goes", or does either of them seem to really like you and seem heavily invested in you?

Rather than considering whether they should get hurt, I'd look at whether they will. If either of them will get hurt, you should probably either go with them exclusively or break it off with them.

Unless you could be sneaky and see them both, then if you don't like one or both of them, break it off with them without telling them you saw the other guy :tongue:

Friday guy seems more invested than the other guy, he gave me his mobile number and we've been texting, whereas the other guy it's just been a couple of messages on the website.

I'm just not used to dating so I've no idea about etiquette :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
Initially, sure

However, if Friday seems nice and asks you out again before the next date then I think you should cancel the second guy

I think the soonest I'd be able to see the second guy is Wednesday (he's busy all weekend and I'm busy Monday and Tuesday), if I decided I liked Friday, would that be enough notice to cancel? I wouldn't know what to say, I'm very inexperienced when it comes to any sort of dating haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not going out with anyone so it's fine to date around a little, but you will sorta need to be able to chose one and cut the other off once you feel a relationship is on the cards, or drop both of them quickly and painlessly should neither interest you for a relationship.

Also if it comes up whatever you do, don't lie about the fact you are keeping your options open in a pro-active manner.
Reply 8
I think the soonest I'd be able to see the second guy is Wednesday (he's busy all weekend and I'm busy Monday and Tuesday), if I decided I liked Friday, would that be enough notice to cancel? I wouldn't know what to say, I'm very inexperienced when it comes to any sort of dating haha :tongue:

Online dating is tough

It is likely that they are also considering a number of girls from the site

If Friday seems nice when you meet him, contact Next Week on Saturday and say that you are sorry but need to cancel

He will be disappointed but not surprised
Reply 9
I have no experience of dating, so I probably shouldn't even be advising you.

You should listen to the others, if anyone.

I just have some experience of feeling crappy when somebody I like strings me along while going out with other people...

Haha the blind leading the blind :lol:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do that to someone, that's why I'm torn :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
You're not going out with anyone so it's fine to date around a little, but you will sorta need to be able to chose one and cut the other off once you feel a relationship is on the cards, or drop both of them quickly and painlessly should neither interest you for a relationship.

Also if it comes up whatever you do, don't lie about the fact you are keeping your options open in a pro-active manner.

I think that's what worries me, I'm pretty shy and I don't like confrontations or anything, so I wouldn't know how to 'drop' one without feeling bad and awkward about it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Online dating is tough

It is likely that they are also considering a number of girls from the site

If Friday seems nice when you meet him, contact Next Week on Saturday and say that you are sorry but need to cancel

He will be disappointed but not surprised

Yeah :yep:

That's what I figured, I know men generally play a numbers game when it comes to online dating, so it's likely I'm not the only one he's speaking to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah :yep:

That's what I figured, I know men generally play a numbers game when it comes to online dating, so it's likely I'm not the only one he's speaking to.

I would say that if you see Friday and then you do see Next Week then, imo, seeing Friday again would be a bit tacky

But that is just my opinion

It could be that they are both into casual initially
Reply 13
Quite normal for Internet dating. But also one of the reasons why it is confusing and ultimately frustrating..
Reply 14
I would say that if you see Friday and then you do see Next Week then, imo, seeing Friday again would be a bit tacky

But that is just my opinion

It could be that they are both into casual initially

No I agree, if I was interested in Friday (god I better not accidentally call him that now :tongue:) and I wanted to see him again then I wouldn't meet Next Week, I just don't know how id explain cancelling :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I agree, if I was interested in Friday (god I better not accidentally call him that now :tongue:) and I wanted to see him again then I wouldn't meet Next Week, I just don't know how id explain cancelling :redface:

Just say thanks but you have decided to see someone else - he will be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree with the others - nothing wrong with seeing them both then deciding, as long as it's only one date with both. You don't meet someone for the very first time vas necessarily immediately completely commit yourself to them - what if Friday was nice but Next Week was your soulmate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending