The Student Room Group

is A level maths or physics harder?

I want to study veterinary medicine at uni after sixth form and I will hopefully get into Cambridge. at A level I want to take biology, chemistry, English literature and either maths or physics, but which one is harder? Cambridge requires either maths or physics so i will have no chance of getting in if i don't take at least one of them. I am not the best at maths, in my GCSE mock I got a high B but I had a maths tutor once/twice a week (my school teacher never showed up!) I got an A* in core physics (4 marks off full marks) and I am predicted an A at additional and triple physics.

i'm not sure which one to take and considering i'm going to have a massive workload anyway, which one is easiest? I think I will struggle if I take maths but I find physics draining and I don't feel comfortable taking a subject at A level that I hate. what should I do?

(I am predicted 10 A's/A*'s and 1 B at GCSE if that helps)
Reply 1
Physics is much harder.
Maths is generally easier to get your head around. It also allows for any career-plan changes you may have (and you will doubt what you want to do a lot in these next few years) as Maths is a very versatile A-level that's good to have.
Plus it doesn't really matter what you got at GCSE- we have people who did the worst in the class at GCSE getting top grades now.
I've also found the workload easier for Maths.
Reply 3
My advice is take maths. You wont get as much out of physics if you are not into the maths i.e. you wont really have an in depth understanding if you cant appreciate the mathematics also maths can arguably take you more places on its own. Both probably the most respected A levels on the technical side of things. (I am doing both at A2)
I did bio, chem, physics and maths at AS. YOUR subject set is very solid in my opinion. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you hate Physics, don't take it. The subject you enjoy is always easier than the one you don't.
I'd say physics is harder. The AS Maths modules aren't too difficult.
Reply 6
Lot of option choices in maths in terms of modules. Makes it seem easier and puts you more in control.
Reply 7
Physics is harder, Physics is applied maths. :redface:
Reply 8
Physics is waaaaay harder than maths, and as you have already seen the majority of replies you got say physics is harder as well, so yea take maths!!!
Maths is much more versatile and I'm also finding it quite enjoyable at A-Level...on the other hand Physics makes me want to spoon my eyeballs out.

Take Maths.
Original post by livvyjones
I want to study veterinary medicine at uni after sixth form and I will hopefully get into Cambridge. at A level I want to take biology, chemistry, English literature and either maths or physics, but which one is harder? Cambridge requires either maths or physics so i will have no chance of getting in if i don't take at least one of them. I am not the best at maths, in my GCSE mock I got a high B but I had a maths tutor once/twice a week (my school teacher never showed up!) I got an A* in core physics (4 marks off full marks) and I am predicted an A at additional and triple physics.

i'm not sure which one to take and considering i'm going to have a massive workload anyway, which one is easiest? I think I will struggle if I take maths but I find physics draining and I don't feel comfortable taking a subject at A level that I hate. what should I do?

It depends how confident you are at Maths, especially as Cambridge place a lot of importance on AS UMS. If you are confident at both, then I would say that Maths is a lot easier to get a high grade in.

How would you rate your ability at Maths?
Reply 11
out of ten I would say my ability is at around 7 or 8, in year 10 I got straight D's because our teacher never turned up for the lesson! but now i'm in year 11 i'm getting B's and A's. I would say I am slightly more confident with physics, I just got an A in my additional physics GCSE mock, whereas I got a B in my maths mock.
Reply 12
Maths concepts are generally easy to get your head round if you have a solid foundation such as a good grade in your GCSE, while physics can have certain concepts that are very mind bending and require brute force to get through and understand. All in all i would say physics gets the edge in the 'which is harder' Debate, although beware of C4 A2 maths :biggrin:
Why not drop English Lit and do both Maths and Physics?:tongue: Maths and Physics do compliment one another, particularly if you do mechanics modules in Maths. Why would you pick English lit if your applying to do a vet med course?
Original post by livvyjones

My GCSE mocks I got a B in maths and an A* in physics...in the end got A*s in both but there is no way on God's earth that i'd be able to handle AND do well in physics A -Level.... no offence to you at all, but GCSE science is not hard at all...all I did was past papers to remember the answer, a lot of the actual science I never bothered to understand as I didn't need to to get the A*, I knew it wouldn't be the same at A Level and I was so much more passionate about the subjects I did chose( HISTORY <3 )

so...yeah, don't be at all swayed by GCSE mock results... plus, revising for maths is a lot more straight forward. My friends who do both always say how much they hate going to physics, how hard it is etc etc yet all enjoy maths, not necessarily love, but enjoy :smile:

For Vet school I'd do maths anyway. Hope this helped!
Even though I did better in GCSE Physics than maths, I did much better in AS level maths than Physics, but my brother is the opposite.

I think Physics is harder, but it depends on the university you apply to - Will you be applying to any of the others?
As Cambridge would be more grade based, whereas Liverpool look upon the amount of experience (and grades too, obviously!) But I think it's Bristol that says if you have a B in GCSE maths you have to offer it at AS/A level. It's worth checking what the other universities ask for as they all have different requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest