The Student Room Group

Anyone else come out of their shell late?

Scroll to see replies

I'm 25 and I find I was a lot more extroverted after I left Uni and started working.

I still haven't done loads but you are never too old to have fun. I still go out, party, meet new people and just enjoy life! :smile:
Original post by LukeM90
wow, you went abroad alone? that takes some guts, I dont think id do that (but then Ive not even been abroad with anyone yet, and am not that savvy/in the know when it comes to other countries xD)

Your start sounds similar to mine, I'm glad you've made progress so far, being happier with yourself even if it isnt 100% is still exhilerating, I feel alot less stressed for it amongst other things lol.

I dont really think anyone is 100% comfortable, but any progression is better than non, life is too short to not celebrate your own identity, everyone has somthing that makes them worthwhile and unique it just takes perspective I guess,

Yeah at 18 and then again just last year at 19 :smile: It was very nerve wrecking but very enriching experiences and I feel like I've grown up a lot! Ah I see, I'm used to going abroad with family as we always used to go on holiday to visit relatives etc, so it was just a case of taking it to the next level!

Absolutely, everyone progresses at their own speed. I just think it's people who are in their late 20s and still acting like 15 year olds, with not a single responsibility and still relying on their parents for everything that need a bit of a wake up call! But you sound like you've come a long way :h:
Reply 22
Original post by LukeM90
alot of people do, just need to find them,

I find odd/strange/weired people can often make the dull things great, brings a sort of freshness to a situation that most people cant!

Yeah i do absolutely agree with everything you've said. I think i need one of those eureka moments you had.
Reply 23
Original post by ryan9900
You just have to have the right people around you and you will have no trouble becoming confident, as it's pretty natural anyway, in the right time and place!

I agree with this alot, I found one thing that always stopped me was my family and so on saying what I couldnt do, or telling me "what I'm like" or how unlikely I am to do certain things,

when really none of those people (family included) are that much like me or really know me all that well.

I've found since I took my own path I've grown loads, having people who do believe in you makes a huge difference!

I hope your application process/RAF career go well and I hope you really enjoy it!

Good luck and thanks for the post!
Reply 24
I'm the opposite - didn't give a **** in my younger years and am now plagued by anxiety and regret!
Reply 25
Original post by Lamptastic
I'm 25 and I find I was a lot more extroverted after I left Uni and started working.

I still haven't done loads but you are never too old to have fun. I still go out, party, meet new people and just enjoy life! :smile:

Glad to hear someone in a similar situation is doing well! good to hear so many of you are in a similar "boat" I felt like I was this individual who hasnt moved on

but then life is all about experiences and doing whats right for you, so party on! lol
Reply 26
Original post by Carpe Vinum
I just think it's people who are in their late 20s and still acting like 15 year olds, with not a single responsibility and still relying on their parents for everything that need a bit of a wake up call! But you sound like you've come a long way :h:

ah yeh lol, I'm nothing like that xD I have a job and other plans should I decidde I wana pursue somthing new (basicaly quite stable in those areas) but I just love having fun, exploring and meeting new people, it makes me extremly happy!
Original post by LukeM90
Thanks! thats perked me up!

really appreciate it!

No prob, and thank you for repping me (I think? lol) I have 3 gems now! :grin:
Reply 28
Original post by james1211
Yeah i do absolutely agree with everything you've said. I think i need one of those eureka moments you had.

It'l probably happen sooner than you think, I find reading stuff like the posts in this thread or "motivating" or "inspirational" things helped alot in me moving on.

Think long and hard about what you want in life and what is important to you, for me my job stuf was already in progress and moving in the right direction, so all I had to worry about was sorting my head out and being more proactive,

for others its harder and takes longer but then I feel mine took long enough!

glad you and others agree though, I hated not enjoying my life and I wouldnt wish it on others!
Reply 29
Original post by Heimdallr33
No prob, and thank you for repping me (I think? lol) I have 3 gems now! :grin:

lol nps
Original post by LukeM90
Glad to hear someone in a similar situation is doing well! good to hear so many of you are in a similar "boat" I felt like I was this individual who hasnt moved on

but then life is all about experiences and doing whats right for you, so party on! lol

Nah not at all, I'm loving life and I'm mature enough to manage my money, my personal life and start thinking logically about my career. When I was younger I cared too much about what people thought of me but I don't really care about that anymore. I'm happy being kooky and a bit random and that suits me fine. :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Steezy
I'm the opposite - didn't give a **** in my younger years and am now plagued by anxiety and regret!

Sorry to hear that, do you not have anything your glad of though as a result? I have a mate who just didnt care in his teens and hes done more exploring/travelling/mad stuff than anyone I know, and that in itself is fairly valuable in terms of experience and the stories you'l have!
Reply 32
Original post by LukeM90
It'l probably happen sooner than you think, I find reading stuff like the posts in this thread or "motivating" or "inspirational" things helped alot in me moving on.

Think long and hard about what you want in life and what is important to you, for me my job stuf was already in progress and moving in the right direction, so all I had to worry about was sorting my head out and being more proactive,

for others its harder and takes longer but then I feel mine took long enough!

glad you and others agree though, I hated not enjoying my life and I wouldnt wish it on others!

I had a similar moment of realisation in a sport i do. I used to mountain bike quite a lot and gradually my mates progressed onto doing very big and dangerous jumps and tricks and i was terrified of messing them up for years until one day i just woke up and decided i was bored of caring whether i made a mess of them and just did them. Never looked back.

I assume it's much the same thing but with a different aspect of life.
Reply 33
Original post by Lamptastic
I'm happy being kooky and a bit random and that suits me fine. :smile:

In my experience people like this are usualy the happiest lol
Reply 34
Original post by james1211

I assume it's much the same thing but with a different aspect of life.

Totally, same idea different method, and hell I dont think Id be brave enough to do that lol (basicaly not very good at balance/bikes in general)

its great you have somthing like that though, I go hiking in mountains now and then, It might not be as adrenaline fueld (which probably feels great) but the views and everything make it worth it
I feel that I'm starting to. I'm 21 and I used to be painfully shy, but especially in the past few years I've started to care less about what other people think and devote more attention to how I want to be, in my appearance and as a person. It's definitely not easy and what's quite frustrating is that when I think I'm doing well and I'm becoming even more confident, I'll suddenly have to sit next to someone I don't know, or I talk to someone I haven't spoken to since I was even more shy, and I'll crawl back into myself. What's also frustrating is that sometimes while stretching out of myself and trying to establish how I can be comfortable with myself, I feel like I can get quite annoying. I don't know why/how, and I know I'm not supposed to consider other people's judgements, but I don't want to actually bother people, especially not people I care about.
I am getting there and I do see clear changes in what I do, or how I approach things now and again but it sure is taking time to change.
Reply 36
Original post by LukeM90
Sorry to hear that, do you not have anything your glad of though as a result? I have a mate who just didnt care in his teens and hes done more exploring/travelling/mad stuff than anyone I know, and that in itself is fairly valuable in terms of experience and the stories you'l have!

No I just got wasted on various drugs and made a prat of myself. Almost ended up in prison. Actually I have got some pretty decent stories, but the type you tell to friends, not children or grandchildren... Or work colleagues.

I've started to go travelling now and I'm glad I didn't do that when I was younger as I'd have ended up in some foreign prison if I had. Loving the travelling though & am seemingly carefree when I'm outside UK.

I'm proud of what a change I've made in my life but I've gone a bit too far the other way - now caring too much what other people think to the point it makes me nervous and I can't stop thinking about it.
Reply 37
I'm 17 and I'm still in my shell, I'm assuming once I reach university I'll come out of my shell but that depends on whether people at university warm to me or hate me
Reply 38
Original post by LukeM90
Totally, same idea different method, and hell I dont think Id be brave enough to do that lol (basicaly not very good at balance/bikes in general)

its great you have somthing like that though, I go hiking in mountains now and then, It might not be as adrenaline fueld (which probably feels great) but the views and everything make it worth it

It was the first thing in my life where i truly overcame a fear that was holding me back from doing what i wanted. I spent two years not trying anything i wanted to because of being afraid of what might happen.

I get what you mean about hiking, done that a fair bit. We actually hiked out mountain bikes on our shoulders up to the summit of Helvelyn and rode down the other side once, amazing.
Reply 39
Original post by Steezy

I hope you someday stop feeling that way but its good to hear you enjoy traveling now, and yeh was probably best you didnt go especially with places so strict on drugs etc like thailand.

but then you've made mistakes, admitted them and have moved on, it might not be perfect but its a pretty giant leap in terms of your own life progression.

No one is perfect but I think it takes alot to change bad habbits/ways and move on from that than people give credit for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending