The Student Room Group

What is the meaning of Life?

Scroll to see replies

Just live like you like, innit.
Reply 61
Original post by cupcakes87
Now don't get me wrong.

Im not ungrateful or fed up with life or anything because that would be really rude of me

But, sometimes I cant help but think- in the end we are all going to die anyway so what is the point of anything???

I know there will be people who say that there is afterlife and all these other things but we never know for sure what will happen to us.
(please dont be offended anyone)

anybody got any thoughts on this.

i would like to know what you think about this.

Your question starts from the assumption that life has a meaning. Your assumption has not been proved. You should ask: does life have a meaning? And you should define "life" and "meaning".
There is no meaning to life. Life is absurd. We evolved from PONDLIFE (and some might say we haven't evolved far as a species...)
Surely the meaning to life is completely relative to one's perspective?
Reply 64
Well, if your relating it to the universe and everything there is a simple answer:
42 :wink:
Everyone has a different meaning of life. The meaning of life for me is to attend Oxbridge, graduate with a first, do a master's and possibly a PhD. I have no other reason for living except to gain the best quality education in the world. knowledge is power.
Reply 66
Meaning of life

The meaning of life is a philosophical question concerning the significance of life or existence in general. It can also be expressed in different forms, such as "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", and "What is the purpose of existence?" Wikipedia

There is no 'meaning' to life. What kind of a question is that? A person's life means many different things to different people. To some you might be irritating. Some might enjoy your presence. To ask for one all-encompassing 'meaning' is futile. How can you measure 'meaning'? Can you even define it?
Meaning =/= purpose.
That should be clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by cupcakes87
Now don't get me wrong.

Im not ungrateful or fed up with life or anything because that would be really rude of me

But, sometimes I cant help but think- in the end we are all going to die anyway so what is the point of anything???

I know there will be people who say that there is afterlife and all these other things but we never know for sure what will happen to us.
(please dont be offended anyone)

anybody got any thoughts on this.

i would like to know what you think about this.

Simply to exist! Just love life - Go for it ImageUploadedByStudent Room1393032405.757401.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Whatever you want it to be.
Original post by honeywhite

Oh dear. That is the answer to 'life, the universe and everything'. Better luck next time, eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'd imagine non-existence is fairly dull.
Does life need a meaning anyway? Organisms are matter and energy, why not ask the meaning of rocks? Or light? Just because this form of being took a more elaborate route to be what it is now doesn't make it any more significant in the grand scheme of things.
Although obviously if you were more spiritually minded than I am then the above wouldn't necessarily be true, but in that case the answer to the meaning of life would lie within your respective doctrine.
Life means to frolic in your own aliveness.
To give life meaning- my friend :biggrin:
Reply 75
The meaning of life is different from person to person. For some it is to make money, for others it is family, for some a careful balance of the two.
There isn't one and there does not need to be imo.
Reply 77
Excellent question. You are a natural born philosopher! From this singularly important question, which has puzzled mankind for millenia, Philosophy was born. To ask, to search, to seek out that which will make us want to stop searching...... Some might think if we're going to die anyway why bother to stay living? Not very helpful but a valid question. Most people though, find within them a desire to seek out possible meaning. Perhaps the best way to approach the mystery of life is to ponder that mystery and explore it? I think we are here to be travellers on the journey of life. To seek out wisdom and truth, so that we can transcend our ignorance and fears and realise a wholeness that wants for nothing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78
If we stop spending our lives just working and surviving, and stop making things up (like religion), we may eventually get down to devoting enough time to looking at this seriously and actually find out.
The question assumes there is a meaning, which makes it 'question begging'. Aside from that I don't think there is any metaphysical meaning to be found - life is a naturally occurring consequence of specific localised conditions in the universe. Insofar as you might consider yourself free then I'd say you're free to make your own meaning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending