The Student Room Group

World's most power countries.

Hi!

Just would like to know your opinions about the world's most powerful countries (in terms of military and other economic factors)

LIST OF TOP 10 MOST STRONGEST ARMIES IN 2013

ADMIN · JUL 24TH, 2013 · 46 COMMENTS

A strongest army tends to be hosting the position of its country in the whole world. So, it is necessary to have a strong army for the safeguard of the state. This subjective list of top 10 most strongest armies in 2013 is basically based upon the army number, power and strength but it excludes the strength based upon the atomic power. Larger the number of the army men in a state, the stronger it will be to protect the state. Lets have a look upon which army force is hosting its state on the top list.

10. Israel

the army of Israel is also called the Israel Defense Forces. Its army enrolls its men after the age of 18. It has 565,000 reserve personnel and 187,000 active personnel. It has approximately 48 rocket projectors, 350 towed artillery pieces, 706 self-propelled guns, 1,775 armored vehicles and 3,870
tanks.

9. Turkey
Turkey also has the strongest front line to safeguard itself with its large army. Its army enrolls its men after the age of 20. Its total army headcount is 1,041,900 which is comprised of 429,000 active personnel and 612,900 active personnel. It has a well equipment of 570 helicopters, 1,512 total aircraft, 406 rocket projectors, 7,133 armored combat vehicles, 1,500 self-propelled guns and 4,460 tanks.
8. IranIran is also called the great troop strength as it has the most powerful army in the Middle East countries. Its active personnel are divided into 15 air force groups and 14 lands groups with the total of 545,000 personnel. Its army is composed of 800 helicopters, 1,858 aircraft’s, 860 rocket projectors, 310 self-propelled guns, 1,500 armored vehicles and 2,895 tanks
7. PakistanPakistan has one of the biggest armies in the world. Its front line is always active with approximately 515,500 reserve personnel and 617,000 active personnel. It has 3,197 towed artillery pieces, 1,065 self-propelled guns, 5,745 armored vehicles and 3,490 tanks in its ground force. Whereas, its naval force includes 8 submarines and 11 frigates. Furthermore its air force is composed of 589 helicopters and 1,531 aircraft’s.

6. South Korea
South Korea is the neighbor of North Korea and its army is known as the Republic of Korea Army. It takes the men of ages between 18 to 35 years and has a compulsion of 21 months service in army to every man. With 506,000 troops it has approximately 1,240,000 ground force, 5,300 artillery pieces, 30 missile systems, 2,600 armored vehicles and 2,300 tanks. It has the best military equipment which is imported as well as produced domestically.
5. North KoreaNorth Korea with its active front lines all the time is placed in the top ten list of strongest armies. It has a formidable army with 8,200,000 reserve personnel and 1,106,000 active personnel approximately in 2011. It has massive warfare resources with 1,600 rocket projectors, 3,500 towed artillery pieces, 1,600 self-propelled guns, 2,580 armored fighting vehicles and 5,400 tanks. It’s much of the military technology is outdated but still it is a threat to the world’s stability.
4. RussiaRussia’s army is known as the Ground Forces of Russian Federation. Its army is composed of men with the ages of 18 to 27 years. Its front lines are always active with 754,000 army men and 1,200,000 members. With such huge manpower on the front line, Russia has made itself secure from the threats. The military education has been made compulsory for the army personnel and it has 2,155 towed artillery pieces, 2,646 self-propelled guns, 10,720 armored vehicles and 2,867 tanks.
3. IndiaIndia is located in Asia and has the capacity to compete with the internal and external threats. It is one of theworld’s largest importers of arms. It has an approximate 1,325,000 soldier count. It spends a lot on the military. It has a well trained army and also long distance hitting missiles on earth. It has been placed in the list of the world’s strongest armies of 2013.
2. United States of AmericaUnited States of America is one of the largest and strongest armies of the world. It was found in 1775 and has 1,458,500 reserve personnel and 1,447,896 duty personnel. It is known as the second largest army in the world with 1,330 rocket projectors, 1,791 towed artillery pieces, 1,934 self-propelled guns, 18,539 armored fighting vehicles and 8,325 tanks. With its strongest nuclear power this army can come to the top of the list.
1. China

China is the most populated country of the world also has the most powerful and largest army in the world. Its army was established in 1927 which composed of the PLA Navy, PLA Ground Force, PLA Air Force, Second Artillery Corpse and Armed Police. China’s army is also the strongest army in the world with 2,285,000 personnel, 54 surface ships, 61 submarines, 4,000 fighter jets and 8,500 tanks approximately. Its manpower is between the ages of 18 to 49 years old.

http://listtoptens.com/list-of-top-10-most-strongest-armies-in-2013/

But I don't completely agree with this list. First of all I am surprised to see powerful European countries like UK, France and Germany are not there in top 10 list. Secondly even more to see DPRK (North Korea) is ranked 5th (which to some extent is unbelievable. Just because they made empty nuclear threats by fatty (also affectionately called as Kim Jong Un) and the fact that all the activities inside that country are made top secret, I don't see the reason why DPRK should come in top 10.

I found second website more reasonable http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp and I would like to know about your views on the rankings. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
That's just the armies size which is useless as an indicator.

In reality the USA and EU are by far and away the most powerful militaries with the most advanced technologies and largest navies and air forces. Not even China comes close.
Reply 2
Original post by Rakas21
That's just the armies size which is useless as an indicator.

In reality the USA and EU are by far and away the most powerful militaries with the most advanced technologies and largest navies and air forces. Not even China comes close.

No, these rankings are not only based on army size, but also on other factors like navy, air force, oil, logistics, geographic advantages etc http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=India

I feel China is quickly catching up with USA in terms on technology and as for EU I think only UK, Germany, France and Spain are powerful (in terms of military and tech) out of rest 28 EU countries and I feel most of the Asian countries like China, India, Russia, Japan are becoming more powerful day by day.
Reply 3
Original post by North Wolf
No, these rankings are not only based on army size, but also on other factors like navy, air force, oil, logistics, geographic advantages etc http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=India

I feel China is quickly catching up with USA in terms on technology and as for EU I think only UK, Germany, France and Spain are powerful (in terms of military and tech) out of rest 28 EU countries and I feel most of the Asian countries like China, India, Russia, Japan are becoming more powerful day by day.

China spends around a third of what the USA does and that's reflected by their air force being around a third of the USA and their navy being around a fifth. Also, their technology is pretty sub-par as per Russia.

Yes but combined we're still second. The technology of France-UK is also far superior, our destroyers and submarines are world class.
Silly list in my opinion, plenty of countries there have large forces, but no real ability for force projection or actual effective capability. North Korea being the most obvious example 5400 tanks yes, but how many of those can they bring to bear at once, how many of them can they maintain over any sustained period and do they have the logistical support to operate those outside of their bases? Thats the biggest reason the US military is a long way ahead of anyone elses, and why someone like the UK or France has such a high spend for seemingly so little. Same logic economically, you need to be able to wield that to class it as power. Iran has oil yes, but it didn't stop them being subject to crippling sanctions and the oil didn't stop flowing.

Surprised there is no Japan on that list either, can't see by what criteria you can include South Korea and not Japan.
Reply 5
The US Military is superior to China, and will remain that way for at least the next 20 years.
France and Britain pack a heavy punch and aren't featured on this list anywhere because they have less manpower.

Lists based on manpower are flawed when gauging the strength and capability of a country's military.
Reply 6
Okay, so I think this site is accurate: http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp Opinions on this new list :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending