The Student Room Group

Ethnic minority pupils overtaking White Brits

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can get them to work harder?
Reply 2
Hey I used to go to Kumon as a kid, forgot much of it now, if I was presented with the equations I had to do at 10 now....:eek::eek::eek:

But anyway, I think it's a cultural issue, we do not seem to value education/learning/intelligence like some cultures mentioned in the article do.
Is it a problem? I don't understand the issue.
I'd agree its cultural. You only have to look at the difference between blacks. Black African's are doing substantially better than Black Caribbean's. Its not to do with race, schooling or government assistance. Its the lack of the recent immigrant parental push that often occurs. Parents who are recent immigrants often see their kids succeeding as an essential part of their successful transition and push them harder and do things like extra tuition.
Reply 5
White working class pupils have been falling behind in a number of areas, where as those from ethnic minorities have been improving. Extra support could be provided in school, but that'll only go so far.
Reply 6
Prolific breeding, poor parenting and a benefit culture allied to a complete lack of personal responsibility and lack of respect for institutions (eg: schools) and authority figures (eg: teachers). These are the social inclinations of a large portion of our population.
Work ethic. All through my life I've been pushed to achieve my very best in everything I did. My very best just happened to be quite good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like they are becoming more and more priveleged.
Reply 9
Give them the slipper, it'll help them work harder
Most likely pushed by their parents. Oh how I wished my parents pushed me further :cry2:. Most ethnic minorities don't care about the law against child beating.. because it works.
This is news? :erm:

Not surprising, considering the way certain cultures value education.

This, for example, is EXACTLY like my dad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbPgD66oLU

:bhangra:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

This, for example, is EXACTLY like my dad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbPgD66oLU

Lol so true from people I know. I think sometimes parents like that can have a negative impact, my cousin is a classic example, but too many parents don't have an interest in their childs grades/progress as long as they're not getting into trouble. You need a happy medium, not forcing them to do what you want and criticizing them for the tiniest failure, which can end up in them both resenting you and burning out then crashing. But trying to encourage them as much as possible and explain to them the importance of doing well, rewarding them for it etc, is what you need.
Original post by joey11223
Lol so true from people I know. I think sometimes parents like that can have a negative impact, my cousin is a classic example, but too many parents don't have an interest in their childs grades/progress as long as they're not getting into trouble. You need a happy medium, not forcing them to do what you want and criticizing them for the tiniest failure, which can end up in them both resenting you and burning out then crashing. But trying to encourage them as much as possible and explain to them the importance of doing well, rewarding them for it etc, is what you need.

Very true. Unfortunately have repped too many people today, so can't rep you :sad:
Very true. Unfortunately have repped too many people today, so can't rep you :sad:

I shan't hold it against you. :tongue:
How do they know ??? It's very odd they would know the ethnicity of who was taking each test.

Could just be a load of made up nonsense to make ethnic minorities feel better with their inferiority complexes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I go to a school thats in a 'deprived area' the ethnic minority population accounts for 1% in that school. The majority population by far being White British. The results are not terrible but not great either and they are getting worse in some areas, the amount of people claiming benefits is high and a lot of parents do not work and have never worked or worked for a short period of time, this combined with inadequate parenting means that the children are not interested in the slightest, bad and disruptive behaviour and extremely poor attitudes leads to (as expected) a poor level of progress. This is not the case for everyone but I would say for the majority. I have experienced it first hand, It is not easy for teachers in this environment, trying to engage children whose life goals are to 'go on the dole' (this phrase is said a lot during any given school day)
Reply 17
Unfortunately poor white people do not have the race card to hide behind, and so the government simply ignores them.

Labour MP Richard burden for example has called for more celebration of white identity to help poor white children and give the a sense of confidence which they now lack.
Reply 18

Thank god our parents push us hard :turban:
Reply 19
Original post by democracyforum
How do they know ??? It's very odd they would know the ethnicity of who was taking each test.

Could just be a load of made up nonsense to make ethnic minorities feel better with their inferiority complexes.

Actually they do. Your ethnicity and the grades you get for each test (official ones) are usually used for data analysis. Most schools have info about their student's ethnicities and results so it's not that difficult for people to find out what ethnicities are doing the best.

Why don't you get over your superiority complex it's probably whats making you lag behind, you expect everything to be handed to you just because you're British, you don't want to work hard but get angry when other people who work hard get further than you.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending