The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Unless you go to a uni in London like south bank, or move abroad, practically every uni in the UK is going to have a 'white majority', I don't understand why so many people find this so suprising or unappealing. This is Britain for god sake! I know a girl from my college in South London who told me how shocked and put off she was that there were 'so many white people' when she visited campuses outside London as our college was 75 % ethnic minorities, she was obviously used to that. I know of so many people in South London who believe that the rest of the country is like South London and I find that odd.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
zoea85
Unless you go to a uni in London like south bank, or move abroad, practically every uni in the UK is going to have a 'white majority', I don't understand why so many people find this so suprising or unappealing. This is Britain for god sake! I know a girl from my college in South London who told me how shocked and put off she was that there were 'so many white people' when she visited campuses outside London as our college was 75 % ethnic minorities, she was obviously used to that. I know of so many people in South London who believe that the rest of the country is like South London and I find that odd.

Yeh, quite. Bath has a large white majority and so i didnt find sussex strange when i came to visit!.. would seem a bit odd being in a class where 75% were ethnic minorities!
OMG ur so racist!!!!!!!1 :wink:
Reply 23
zoea85

my mom was actually the exact same when i went to campuses, becuase i'm from Inner city birmingham i remeber doing a project in yr 9 and found out my part of town is like 80% ethnic but i go to a grammar school and have been the only black guy in my class and one of two in my yr so it did not bother me at all.

lol in fact when i wnet to visit sussex i happened upon quite an ethnic flat in east slope which kept my mom quiet for a while but in all honesty i cant say i noticed lol thers like 15 black guys in my whole school and i'mnot ure stereotypical black guy who lvoes rap/hiphgo/rnb, i actually cant stand it (well kind rnb) i love rock music and while there are quite a few indian guys at school 90% of my friends are white.

In fact that little indian 'corner shop' in the middle ofcampus was so surreal to go into becuase i was just not expectign that to be there when i was a tthe open day, the last place i expected to see Mr. Singh was in the middle of sussex campus lol took me back to my childhood days in handsworth, lol i now live in Sutton Coldfield in Brum whichis like 94%white lol.
Reply 24
zoea85
Unless you go to a uni in London like south bank, or move abroad, practically every uni in the UK is going to have a 'white majority', I don't understand why so many people find this so suprising or unappealing.

With me, when I came to Sussex, I wasn't surprised at how many white people were there, it was just an adjustment coming from such a mixed environment. But I have to say that I can see why people would find it unappealing to go to some uni's with a vastly white majority - in Sussex, most people come from areas where there are a mixture of cultures and so it is no big deal to them to see an ethnic minority wandering around campus BUT in other universities such as York, some people have literally never seen a black person in real life (one of my best friends goes here and told me this so I can say it in confidence - she is white btw) and this would be the kind of uni that would be "unappealing" to me - one where I would be stared at for being black. Obv I know that this is not racism, its just not being used to ethnics, but I'd still rather not go to a uni like that and I don't see what's so hard to understand about that...
Reply 25
yeh that is understandable i'd hate to be in that situation where your like the first black person someone has ever met in real life lol.

but remember the UK is only 7.85% black and Asian, and only sumthing like 1.89million people are black i say atleast 1million if not slghtly more live in Birmingham,London and Manchester probs lol then its just a bit sparse lol.
Reply 26
I'm from a very middle class white town but even i noticed that sussex is very very white, there are very few ethnic minorities. It doesn't really matter, but it does surprise me a bit what with it having such a reputation for being very laid back. Also because so many people come from london, and south london in particular i've found... just an observation though!

Also, I agree about the rent - 2nd and 3rd years aren't going to be cheaper than 1st, unless perhaps if you were in phase II, although i know halls rent is going up and i don't know new prices. But average in town is £72 i reckon, excluding bills. Ours is discounted over the summer and some of my friends have leases that start in september (although i wanted ours to be able to pop down over the holidays!) but also remember you're going to be paying to get the train/bus into uni as well.
Reply 27
As mentioned above, this is entirely relative to where you're coming from and what your previous experiences with diversity have been.

I suppose you might find a more multiethnic student body at some institutions, but if you think Sussex is 'overwhelmingly white' I can take you for a trip into the midwestern United States and you can see what white campuses really look like. Sussex is quite diverse on the global scale.
Reply 28
lol :p:
Reply 29
redluc
Sorry - I've been given misguiding information in regards to housing. I will be paying £76 per week in Kent houses and i also forgot about 12 month housing contract. Thanks for giving the original poster correct info.

£76 a week in kent house?! Jesus, it was only 66 last year. Damn rent increases!
Reply 30
mtbab

In fact that little indian 'corner shop' in the middle ofcampus was so surreal to go into becuase i was just not expectign that to be there when i was a tthe open day, the last place i expected to see Mr. Singh was in the middle of sussex campus lol took me back to my childhood days in handsworth, lol i now live in Sutton Coldfield in Brum whichis like 94%white lol.

I hate Sutton Coldfield. It has all the best charity shops but it's two buses from me. Gits.
Reply 31
For some reason, I was under the impression that some of East Sussex was a bit retrospective, as in not very fond of ethnic diversity. But someone I know who lives there says that this is completely untrue. So, I really dunno where I got the idea from.
Reply 32
rach13
£76 a week in kent house?! Jesus, it was only 66 last year. Damn rent increases!

I feel robbed.
Reply 33
Kura1984
For some reason, I was under the impression that some of East Sussex was a bit retrospective, as in not very fond of ethnic diversity. But someone I know who lives there says that this is completely untrue. So, I really dunno where I got the idea from.

Some of East Sussex is a little, um, closed minded in that respect (go to the Lewes bonfire thing and see the rather dubious effigy-burning that goes on...hmm...) But Brighton is kinda like a separate little world in the middle of the countryside, It has the cosmopolitan-ness of a big city, probably because loads of people move there from London or something.
Can't be as bad as Hertfordshire. I was in Oxfam at the weekend and they were selling a Golliwog in the toy section. Tsk.
Reply 35
ladyportacabin
Can't be as bad as Hertfordshire. I was in Oxfam at the weekend and they were selling a Golliwog in the toy section. Tsk.

tbh despite all the connatations that exist behind them, they are collectors items lol and some people do collec tthem without being racist in any way lol.
Brighton is pretty diverse, most cities are. It isn't as ethnically diverse as where I'm from, but then I live in London. Brighton is hardly segregated. It's also world renowned for it's laid back and open culture. All kinds of people about in Brighton.

As for the uni, well, it's a university. University as an instition is pretty white middle class, let's face it. But beyond that, Sussex is still diverse and accepting enough, I think, though that is coming from a white girl. I wouldn't really know of any specific prejudice really.

So yeah, I reckon you'd like it if you're an open minded type. :biggrin:

EDIT: My friend has a small collection of gollywogs. They're worth hundreds. It's like the Soviet propaganda at the Tate Modern, I guess. Not saying 'woo, Stalin!', more 'this is an interesting bit of the past that we should probably remember'.
Reply 37
dogtanian

EDIT: My friend has a small collection of gollywogs. They're worth hundreds. It's like the Societ propaganda at the Tate Modern, I guess. Not saying 'woo, Stalin!', more 'this is an interesting bit of the past that we should probably remember'.

As does a friend of mine who's Jamaican. I asked her why she'd like and buy something with such racist connotations. I think she told me to 'lighten up', or something to that effect.
Old propoganda is cool. The movies are just hilarious to watch. Old cigarette ads are brilliantly disturbing too.

Worth hundreds? Wish i'd brought the thing now!
The collection is worth hundreds, but mostly because it has an unusual one there.

But they're probably worth more than the few pounds or so it'd probably be in the charity shop, hehe.

Latest

Trending

Trending