The Student Room Group

Why do a lot of people get upset when they're "cheated" on?

Why do most people get upset when their boyfriend/girlfriend cheats on them when they were never in a relationship in the first place?

There are no relationships outside of marriage. Boyfriend/girlfriend is just a fancy word for friends with benefits. When a guy asks a girl out on a "date" and pays for the food and the girl gives him sex that's called prostitution. When a guy asks the girl to be his girlfriend (vice versa) what they're really saying is can we be friends with benefits. Everyone outside of marriage is single.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Being a boyfriend/girlfriend is a social agreement. "Cheating" breaks that agreement.
Reply 2
haha oh god this character again
Because it's a betrayal of trust?
Original post by SarahWorksout
Why do most people get upset when their boyfriend/girlfriend cheats on them when they were never in a relationship in the first place?

There are no relationships outside of marriage. Boyfriend/girlfriend is just a fancy word for friends with benefits. When a guy asks a girl out on a "date" and pays for the food and the girl gives him sex that's called prostitution. When a guy asks the girl to be his girlfriend (vice versa) what they're really saying is can we be friends with benefits. Everyone outside of marriage is single.

That may be your opinion. Whether or not it's actually true, most people act as though it is not. They treat a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship as, among other things, an agreement not to be sexually active with anyone else outside the relationship. When a member of such a relationship breaks that agreement, the other partner naturally is upset. While your opinion as stated above would make that disappointment unfounded, you may well be the only one that holds that opinion. Try to see it from everyone else's point of view, not just your own.
Reply 5
Original post by Robbie242
haha oh god this character again

I once got over 60 + reps for telling her she was going to hell for being so judgmental.

OP, stop being so judgmental, God would not approve.
Because being boyfriend and girlfriend is sort of like a union, cheating is a betrayal of trust. Of course there are relationships outside marriage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marriage is just a piece of paper and a party in an old stone building with a plus sign on the front.
It's highly unlikely fornication will lead to a virtuous relationship. OP, I totally agree.
Reply 9
Original post by paradoxicalme
Marriage is just a piece of paper and a party in an old stone building with a plus sign on the front.

Don't even need the plus sign, my parents got married in a registry office

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
It's highly unlikely fornication will lead to a virtuous relationship. OP, I totally agree.

Putting aside whether I agree with that statement or not, boyfriends/girlfriends don't have to be 'fornicating' and you can cheat without having sex with someone else.
OP cannot be serious. All of your post is opinion, and an opinion lacking any logical argument.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Where to start.....

I give up explaining.
Because you are stabbing them in the back and betraying their trust in you. Can't tell if you're being serious or not, but I suggest staying offline when you're angry
Reply 14

For some reason I don't know why I agree:laugh:. If you take a step back and just think about, thats what it is.
Reply 15
I don't think you quite understand the definition of 'relationship' :smile: bless you
Reply 16
Did you take this from "Make up a troll thread title" or something?
Reply 17
Good luck reaching the point of getting married with the 'I'll shag who I like until there's a ring on it' attitude.

Also, surely you can be engaged, which is legally acknowledged in a few statutes?

I'm guessing it's histrionic personality disorder?

What you've been diagnosed with, that is.

Quick Reply

Latest