The Student Room Group

Teacher with limitless ability. DESPERATELY NEED HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bshrestha
But its not just that. He can solve any problem within minutes. Even my other teachers are shocked at the way his brain works. I honestly can't explain it. It's not just that he is clever... but he is supernaturally gifted. But, I want to know how is that possible... could I EVER be like him if I tried really hard?

Do remember you are talking about any maths problem, which he has studied for many many years. Many mathematical degree students are able to solve A-level mathematics problems within minutes. Yes you can be like that!
Reply 21
Original post by Freier._.lance
Do remember you are talking about any maths problem, which he has studied for many many years. Many mathematical degree students are able to solve A-level mathematics problems within minutes. Yes you can be like that!

No, I don't mean only "maths" problems, I mean any problems in general e.g problem solving, thinking skills assessment, 3d shapes, almost anything. I mean he got all A's in his GCSE and alevels (they didnt have A* grades back in the day) and everything just seems to come so naturally to him. I mean I have this other teacher who also did a degree in maths and is deputy head and he is very good at maths but I wouldnt say he is a genius because he cant solve EVERY problem within minutes and he makes mistakes sometimes (like all of us). But, the harvard teacher is just I cant explain it ... I am in awe. There was this question (c3/c4)where you had to rearrange the values, use identities, then draw graph to find the values, then put it into the equation etc and he did all of that in his head in 1 min (including doing the trig inverse without a calculator). Sorry for going on and on but I am just confused as to how he could be this supernatural... is it the way his brain is structured or something?
Original post by benplumley
Are you sure you don't mean 4D? Apparently only a few of the cleverest mathematicians in the world can imagine 4+ spatial dimensions (ie not including time, temperature etc) but I think everyone can imagine 3D. I mean, imagine a table. There, you just imagined in 3D.

You want to imagine a 4D "object"? Try to imagine something whose shadow cast by a light creates a 3D shadow.

From there it's not nearly as difficult as it seems.
Original post by Apologetic Cube
Being able to mentally incorporate time as a spatial dimension doesn't necessarily mean you're one of the brightest mathematicians. I suspect it's something you either can or can't do and not something you can do through practice.

I mean, Edward Witten, arguably one of the best physicists alive today, who works on String Theory, which requires one to comprehend as many as 10 spatial dimensions, has admitted he is unable to imagine these extra dimensions. Doesn't make him any worse of a physicist, though.

It would be pretty cool if you could, though :tongue:.

I agree that there's not necessarily any causality between the two; I would contest the suggestion implication that there's no correlation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by benplumley
Are you sure you don't mean 4D? Apparently only a few of the cleverest mathematicians in the world can imagine 4+ spatial dimensions (ie not including time, temperature etc) but I think everyone can imagine 3D. I mean, imagine a table. There, you just imagined in 3D.

Lol yeah I probably mean 4D shapes. Of course I can imagine a table hahahaha, but I mean like I can't unfold a cube in my head or turn a cube with pictures around and know the direction of the pictures and where they end up if you get me...
Original post by n00bfi
You want to imagine a 4D "object"? Try to imagine something whose shadow cast by a light creates a 3D shadow.

From there it's not nearly as difficult as it seems.

I understand where you're coming from, that if a 3D object casts a 2D shadow then a 4D one would cast a shadow in 3D, but I'm afraid I'm no closer to being able to imagine this object :s-smilie: can you elaborate?
Okay, I know hard work can get you a long way in life, but it is true that some people are born naturally with the abilities. I don't think that the work you put into something determines the outcomes of it. I mean I know many people in my school who work their butt off, day and night and can't scrape anything higher than a C/B. Whereas, others could get an A* with minimum effort.

I have this teacher, for example. He did maths at Oxford then went on to graduate from Harvard and he is insanely clever. He is like Bradley Cooper from limitless. I mean I don't mean because he is good at maths and because he can solve every single problem, but the speed and power of his brain just blows me away every time. He can do trig inverses in his head. Also, I went to ask him for help at a topic he had never learnt/taught before and he literally read the book for 2 minutes and could teach me the whole syllables... whereas, other teachers who have been teaching that module for years still get stuck. I mean once he looks at question, he remembers the numbers and does not need to look at it twice. And, he can also think and imagine in a three dimensional way. I mean I am just so blown away by the speed and accuracy of his brain,

I really want to be like him. However, I am only good at memorising textbooks and following rules. I cant imagine 3D shapes in my head, and I am really slow with new concepts and I score really badly at IQ tests no matter how hard I try. Does anybody have any suggestions? I want to improve my natural ability to an extent where I also blow people away.

What's a Harvard postgrad doing teaching in a secondary school? Just curious
Reply 27
No, I don't mean only "maths" problems, I mean any problems in general e.g problem solving, thinking skills assessment, 3d shapes, almost anything. I mean he got all A's in his GCSE and alevels (they didnt have A* grades back in the day) and everything just seems to come so naturally to him. I mean I have this other teacher who also did a degree in maths and is deputy head and he is very good at maths but I wouldnt say he is a genius because he cant solve EVERY problem within minutes and he makes mistakes sometimes (like all of us). But, the harvard teacher is just I cant explain it ... I am in awe. There was this question (c3/c4)where you had to rearrange the values, use identities, then draw graph to find the values, then put it into the equation etc and he did all of that in his head in 1 min (including doing the trig inverse without a calculator). Sorry for going on and on but I am just confused as to how he could be this supernatural... is it the way his brain is structured or something?

He's got that quick and accurate at mental calculations through his vast experience and many difficult tricks which very good mathematicians and (physicists) can do. There are many many people at his standard but I expect those others teach at universities or are in research. To an accomplished and experienced mathematician and physicist, A Level Maths is like basic arithmetic.
Reply 28
Original post by ParetoOptimum

Exactly. If he is that good he easily capable of teaching degree-level maths. I suspect the OP has exaggerated her teachers proficiency.
Reply 29
Lol yeah I probably mean 4D shapes. Of course I can imagine a table hahahaha, but I mean like I can't unfold a cube in my head or turn a cube with pictures around and know the direction of the pictures and where they end up if you get me...

1. You definitely don't mean 4D shapes. Do you actually study maths?

2. I sounds to me as if your just one of those people who have poor spatial awareness. I know many people who both struggle and excel at unfolding cubes (and similar actions) inside their head. Do you have to use tracing paper when rotating and mirroring shapes?

3. Maybe if you practice imagining shapes and continue to practice maths, you may improve.
Reply 30
Original post by ParetoOptimum

Whats wrong with teaching in a secondary school? Thats his choice...
Reply 31
Original post by KingKumar
Exactly. If he is that good he easily capable of teaching degree-level maths. I suspect the OP has exaggerated her teachers proficiency.

Dont forget you need a phd to teach at degree level maths and he only did masters. And why would I exaggerate it... it's not like I am going to benefit from exaggerating my teacher's abilities :s wtf...
Meh, I could tell you the answer to a big question using mental arithmetic so :tongue:

And I can revolve shapes in my head and such so I don't think it's extraordinary :lol:
Whats wrong with teaching in a secondary school? Thats his choice...

Never said there was anything wrong with it. It just seems quite unusual. There is no need for graduate study to become a secondary school teacher. And it's especially unusual as he did his postgrad at Harvard. I can confidently say that most Harvard maths postgrads will go into careers in academia and business rather than secondary school teaching.
Reply 34
Dont forget you need a phd to teach at degree level maths and he only did masters. And why would I exaggerate it... it's not like I am going to benefit from exaggerating my teacher's abilities :s wtf...

I never sad you intentionally exaggerated it. I think you've just never known or heard of someone that is that smart so your reaction is way over the top.
Okay, I know hard work can get you a long way in life, but it is true that some people are born naturally with the abilities. I don't think that the work you put into something determines the outcomes of it. I mean I know many people in my school who work their butt off, day and night and can't scrape anything higher than a C/B. Whereas, others could get an A* with minimum effort.

I have this teacher, for example. He did maths at Oxford then went on to graduate from Harvard and he is insanely clever. He is like Bradley Cooper from limitless. I mean I don't mean because he is good at maths and because he can solve every single problem, but the speed and power of his brain just blows me away every time. He can do trig inverses in his head. Also, I went to ask him for help at a topic he had never learnt/taught before and he literally read the book for 2 minutes and could teach me the whole syllables... whereas, other teachers who have been teaching that module for years still get stuck. I mean once he looks at question, he remembers the numbers and does not need to look at it twice. And, he can also think and imagine in a three dimensional way. I mean I am just so blown away by the speed and accuracy of his brain,

I really want to be like him. However, I am only good at memorising textbooks and following rules. I cant imagine 3D shapes in my head, and I am really slow with new concepts and I score really badly at IQ tests no matter how hard I try. Does anybody have any suggestions? I want to improve my natural ability to an extent where I also blow people away.

I have a teacher who did Economics at Oxford and he is a genius. No joke. He also teaches History and wrote down the whole royal family tree from memory with all of the birthdays and stuff. He can speak Latin and French and Spanish and maybe even more. He can do Maths really quickly and is really well read. He is so clever and I am kind of jealous but also in awe of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending