The Student Room Group

Apparently it's my fault I'm an unemployed graduate...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MostUncivilised
Do they use the grocer's apostrophe too? If you're an LSE/UCL/KCL/Oxbridge graduate and you can't get a job, you're doing it wrong.

You are in a minority, the majority of graduates find work.

There's no need to be so pompous and nasty. If you're still a student, then how would you know what it's like in the job market?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by qwertyking
There's no need to be so pompous and nasty. If you're still a student, then how would you know what it's like in the job market?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It amazes me how people who have no idea what it's like being a graduate try to give advice. I'm sure when I was a student I believed if you just tried hard enough, you will get something...Ahh to be naive again :tongue:
Since when did doing a degree guarantee you a job? You need to lose this sense of entitlement you have. Not everything is going to magically fall into place after uni.
Reply 84
Original post by Silver Arrows
Since when did doing a degree guarantee you a job? You need to lose this sense of entitlement you have. Not everything is going to magically fall into place after uni.

AGAIN please read before posting, i have stated many times this is not the case at all!!
Original post by Free.Help
AGAIN please read before posting, i have stated many times this is not the case at all!!

I read the first page, I'm not going to go through all 4 & a bit pages. So you're struggling to get a job in the area of expertise in which you studied? Well yes, generally most places have a huge surplus of applicants. In fact, it's very rare to see a place actually struggle to recruit new staff. Just look at your thread title: 'Apparently it's my fault I'm an unemployed graduate...'. Yes, it is 100% you fault you are unemployed, who else can you blame? Maybe there just isn't any jobs available, that isn't your fault but there is nothing you can do about it.
Reply 86
I read the first page, I'm not going to go through all 4 & a bit pages. So you're struggling to get a job in the area of expertise in which you studied? Well yes, generally most places have a huge surplus of applicants. In fact, it's very rare to see a place actually struggle to recruit new staff. Just look at your thread title: 'Apparently it's my fault I'm an unemployed graduate...'. Yes, it is 100% you fault you are unemployed, who else can you blame? Maybe there just isn't any jobs available, that isn't your fault but there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm saying app. It's my fault due to some ignorant people trying to give patronising advice on how to apply for jobs. So like you said, it's not my fault and maybe there's nothing I can do about it. But venting helps. If you read a lot of the threads on here they say similar things, as well as the papers so if you are not going to post some actual advice and just tell me oh well its not fair what can you do? Then why bother?
I'm saying app. It's my fault due to some ignorant people trying to give patronising advice on how to apply for jobs. So like you said, it's not my fault and maybe there's nothing I can do about it. But venting helps. If you read a lot of the threads on here they say similar things, as well as the papers so if you are not going to post some actual advice and just tell me oh well its not fair what can you do? Then why bother?

With the attitude you have there is no way you'd ever get past an interview. Calm down, if you don't like what you hear then why post the thread?
Reply 88
With the attitude you have there is no way you'd ever get past an interview. Calm down, if you don't like what you hear then why post the thread?

I posted this thread for useful advice and to vent like most people do in my situation, not someone telling me incorrectly that I just expect a job solely due to having a degree, and if they read my OP would know this is not the case at all.

My attitude is fine, it's just when I'm told something that's so far from the truth, it tends to grate...
I posted this thread for useful advice and to vent like most people do in my situation, not someone telling me incorrectly that I just expect a job solely due to having a degree, and if they read my OP would know this is not the case at all.

My attitude is fine, it's just when I'm told something that's so far from the truth, it tends to grate...

*sigh*. Right, let's try again. I'll directly address the title now (which, to be clear, is written in a sarcastic tone?) if it isn't your fault you're an unemployed graduate, then who's fault is it?
Reply 90
*sigh*. Right, let's try again. I'll directly address the title now (which, to be clear, is written in a sarcastic tone?) if it isn't your fault you're an unemployed graduate, then who's fault is it?

Obviously it's due to the economic climate. But I don't really want to debate whose fault it is, I just wrote the thread to ask for advice, but more then that to vent. To let out all the frustration and nightmare that is under-employment. To feel better to talk to people who are in the same boat as me and understand the vicious cycle (I think all those people have been answering the other threads on here i.e. I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs thread).

That's why I made this thread.
Obviously it's due to the economic climate. But I don't really want to debate whose fault it is, I just wrote the thread to ask for advice, but more then that to vent. To let out all the frustration and nightmare that is under-employment. To feel better to talk to people who are in the same boat as me and understand the vicious cycle (I think all those people have been answering the other threads on here i.e. I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs thread).

That's why I made this thread.

FYI The Economy has recovered , I read it in a BBC article the other day :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by Legendairy
FYI The Economy has recovered , I read it in a BBC article the other day :smile:

My mother work's for the BBC. She told me not to believe anything they say :tongue:
My mother work's for the BBC. She told me not to believe anything they say :tongue:

Cleaner ? :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by r_u_jelly
Cleaner ? :biggrin:

Haha nice try, BBC producer and journalist :tongue:

Everyone else's, apparently. I raised the fact that the university I work for is hiring and jobs have a starting salary of £24,000; the OP called me a troll and dismissed my "patronising" attempt to assist.

I agree with your above statement, the OP would struggle in an interview. Not to put too fine a point on it, she does not sound particularly mature and I believe that would come across to an interviewer
What do you mean no jobs? The majority of graduates find work.

Is this a troll post? You've only managed two interviews?

By the way, the appropriate way to say this would be, "I've only been to" or "I've only had" rather than "I only went to 2 interviews"

Seriously, stop being so pedantic and kicking her while she's down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Seriously, stop being so pedantic and kicking her while she's down.

It's not being pedantic, it's an attempt to teach her a valuable lesson; people will judge you on the way you express yourself. This is particularly so if you're asking them for a job.
OP please ignore all the idiots on this thread, just keep trying that's all you can do really. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not being pedantic, it's an attempt to teach her a valuable lesson; people will judge you on the way you express yourself. This is particularly so if you're asking them for a job.

On TSR. Really? They judge how you type early in the morning on an anonymous student forum?

Give me a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending