The Student Room Group

Pharmacy then medicine?

Is it possible to transfer to medicine after the first year of a pharmacy degree. If not is there anybody at any pharmacy school (LSOP preferably, cos i'm going there) going into graduate entry medicine after pharmacy. I so deperately wanted to do medicine but couldn't get a place (after two tries), that i will try and get into medicine after my pharmacy degree via the graduate entry route. even though i'll be 24-25yrs old by the time i qualify as a pharmacist.
I don't think you can transfer from a pharmacy degree to a medicine degree without finishing the pharmacy degree first.
Reply 2
I'd like to know if you have to do the Pre-Reg year to get your degree. I know you won't be qualified as a pharmacist, but you still get your masters degree, right? I too am thinking about applying to medicine once I've got my pharmacy degree.
JayEm
I'd like to know if you have to do the Pre-Reg year to get your degree. I know you won't be qualified as a pharmacist, but you still get your masters degree, right? I too am thinking about applying to medicine once I've got my pharmacy degree.

Yeah you'll still get your MPharm but if you want to fund yourself through med school and are not overly worried about the extra year of your life then it's advisible to qualify and then you can locum at the weekend.
Reply 4
-Emmz-
Yeah you'll still get your MPharm but if you want to fund yourself through med school and are not overly worried about the extra year of your life then it's advisible to qualify and then you can locum at the weekend.

Thanks for the info, Emmz. I've still got a few years to think it over so we'll see how it goes. :smile:
Reply 5
Ive just realised that I like biology more then chemistry, and ive had second thoughts about doing pharmacy and applying for medicine. If i dont like the 1st year of pharmacy then could i transfer to medicine?
Reply 6
JayEm

My advice would be to do your pre-reg year. I have two close friends on my course who are qualified pharmacists and earn in the region of £50 an hour locuming in their spare time...
Reply 7
papad
Ive just realised that I like biology more then chemistry, and ive had second thoughts about doing pharmacy and applying for medicine. If i dont like the 1st year of pharmacy then could i transfer to medicine?

No. You could drop out and apply to med school to start from the beginning, but I'm not aware of anywhere that actually allows transfers anymore... (although some will say they do to attract students...)

Latest

Trending

Trending