The Student Room Group

Official Oxford Applicants 2015 Entry, including Interview Chat

Greetings folks, I have not noticed a thread for prospective oxford students of 2015... So I decided to make one now!
This is specifically for those who are submitting their application during October 2014. (In which you would get your reply in 2015)
:smile:
Feel free to share details!
Course:
College:
GCSEs:
A Level Subjects:
Anything else relevant:
Home/International Candidate

Connect to Oxford stalking pages here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there! How about we start with sharing our details? :biggrin:

Course:
College:
GCSEs:
A Level Subjects:
Anything else relevant:
Home/International Candidate:

As for me:
Course: Engineering
College: st catherines
GCSEs: 9A* 1A
A Level Subjects: Chemistry Physics Biology Mathematics Accounting Computing (AAAAA in AS)
Anything else relevant: accelerated mathematics, A received. Computing taken this year.
Home/International Candidate: International Candidate
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Course: Medicine
College: (Not sure yet, going to go to a few open days to decide whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge)
GCSEs: 7A*2A2B
A Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English Lit
Home Candidate
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by me11
Hey there! How about we start with sharing our details? :biggrin:

Course:
College:
GCSEs:
A Level Subjects:
Anything else relevant:
Home/International Candidate:

As for me:
Course: Engineering
College: st catherines
GCSEs: 9A* 1A
A Level Subjects: Chemistry Physics Biology Mathematics Accounting Computing (AAAAA in AS)
Anything else relevant: accelerated mathematics, A received. Computing taken this year.
Home/International Candidate: International Candidate

Repped you for college choice :smile: I'm at Catz fresher so feel free to ask any questions.
Reply 4
Original post by x__justmyluck
Repped you for college choice :smile: I'm at Catz fresher so feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you so much! ^_^ well how is catz for engineering? :biggrin: how far is it from the engineering department? :biggrin: (lol although i haven't visited uk, google earth comes in handy to memorize the routes to and from my favourite college ^_^ haha) I'm mostly in love with its architecture ^_^ Any Internationals there? :biggrin:
Original post by me11
Thank you so much! ^_^ well how is catz for engineering? :biggrin: how far is it from the engineering department? :biggrin: (lol although i haven't visited uk, google earth comes in handy to memorize the routes to and from my favourite college ^_^ haha) I'm mostly in love with its architecture ^_^ Any Internationals there? :biggrin:

I know a couple of engineers but have no idea where the engineering department is :tongue: if it's in the university science area then it's pretty close. I'm not the biggest fan of the architecture but there are definite benefits of going to a newer college, like good heating :tongue:. Catz has the largest number of undergrads so yes we have lots of international students :smile:, it's a very fun college.
Hello!

Course: PPE
College: Wadham
GCSEs: 11A*s
A Level Subjects: Maths, English Literature, French and Further Maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I know a couple of engineers but have no idea where the engineering department is :tongue: if it's in the university science area then it's pretty close. I'm not the biggest fan of the architecture but there are definite benefits of going to a newer college, like good heating :tongue:. Catz has the largest number of undergrads so yes we have lots of international students :smile:, it's a very fun college.

Thanks for the reply :biggrin: there aren't many newer colleges at oxford huh? (the Victorian style buildings kinda scares me :3 especially at night *faints* , like the ones shown in dracula movies and stuff :v ) do any students do their own cooking at Catz? :smile: could u post a picture of a room?(there aren't too many picture of the interior available online and i don't think it would be possible for me to visit oxford) :3 if it does not cause a problem to you of course! I'm really curious(and nervous) about how its going to be like living there.
Original post by me11
Thanks for the reply :biggrin: there aren't many newer colleges at oxford huh? (the Victorian style buildings kinda scares me :3 especially at night *faints* , like the ones shown in dracula movies and stuff :v ) do any students do their own cooking at Catz? :smile: could u post a picture of a room?(there aren't too many picture of the interior available online and i don't think it would be possible for me to visit oxford) :3 if it does not cause a problem to you of course! I'm really curious(and nervous) about how its going to be like living there.

Victorian? Really?

Try Middle Ages to Renaissance for most ..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lucilou101
Victorian? Really?

Try Middle Ages to Renaissance for most ..

Most of the buildings are not as old as they look. Oxford was still building real gothic when Horace Walpole was building Gothick Strawberry Hill.
Original post by Cantabcyte
Greetings folks, I have not noticed a thread for prospective oxford students of 2015... So I decided to make one now!
This is specifically for those who are submitting their application during October 2014. (In which you would get your reply in 2015)
:smile:
Feel free to share details!
Course:
College:
GCSEs:
A Level Subjects:
Anything else relevant:
Home/International Candidate

Oh my goodness guys, you've got such good grades..
Anyway I want to take Medicine along with French in Oxford Uni.
And I've only arrived here in England 1 1/2 years ago and did all my GCSEs in one year.. I got 3As, 3Bs and a C.
I feel demotivated but I'm actually doing pretty well in my As..
Original post by 3-methylbutane
Oh my goodness guys, you've got such good grades..
Anyway I want to take Medicine along with French in Oxford Uni.
And I've only arrived here in England 1 1/2 years ago and did all my GCSEs in one year.. I got 3As, 3Bs and a C.
I feel demotivated but I'm actually doing pretty well in my As..

As in a joint course? You can't do joint honours medicine.

Despite your extenuating circumstances I think you will be at a serious disadvantage when applying for medicine as number of A*s at GCSE is important in choosing which candidates to interview.
Original post by 3-methylbutane

Just to further this here is the graph showing the number of candidates who got interviews and offers according to their proportion of A*s at GCSE.
Attachment not found

As you can see having 0 A*s means it's likely a wasted application.
And as mentioned it is impossible to do medicine and French.
Probably not the right thread, but I'm wondering when I should be applying if I want to go for a DPhil starting 2015? I will be starting my MSc at Oxford this October.

With my DPhil I'll need some funding as well. Is it possible for a non-European education student to get funding for a DPhil? Do I need to be exceptional in my MSc? (I'm not poor by the way, so I won't be able to show that I have a financial need. But I mean obviously I can't eat off my parents forever!)
Just to further this here is the graph showing the number of candidates who got interviews and offers according to their proportion of A*s at GCSE.
Attachment not found

As you can see having 0 A*s means it's likely a wasted application.
And as mentioned it is impossible to do medicine and French.

Your attachment doesn't work :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by clh_hilary
Probably not the right thread, but I'm wondering when I should be applying if I want to go for a DPhil starting 2015? I will be starting my MSc at Oxford this October.

With my DPhil I'll need some funding as well. Is it possible for a non-European education student to get funding for a DPhil? Do I need to be exceptional in my MSc? (I'm not poor by the way, so I won't be able to show that I have a financial need. But I mean obviously I can't eat off my parents forever!)

http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/prospectivegrad/scholarships/
try this :biggrin:
Oxford muso here, feel free to PM with questions about music or Woosta (which is the best college by far :smug: ) :yep:

Thanks. I did read this earlier and I found that I'm only eligible for one of them, and that one does consider financial needs. So there are no other ones?
Original post by jadoreétudier
Your attachment doesn't work :smile:

It's just a photo and it's working for me? How strange.

Here's the link anyway - http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/
It's just a photo and it's working for me? How strange.

Here's the link anyway - http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/

That is weird! Thanks, those statistics are scary!

Latest