The Student Room Group

Integral

Trying to solve this integral, It's been years since I learnt how to do it and I can't really remember what to do

Unparseable latex formula:

\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{Zx}e^{-x} \, dx $

I've simplified it to

Unparseable latex formula:

\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{(Z-1)x}\diff dx\)

Integrate to get

[1Z1(e(Z1)x)][\frac{1}{Z-1} (e^{(Z-1)x})]_{-\infty}^\infty

Now where do I go from here?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
How far have you got ?
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
How far have you got ?

Sorry I posted it too early, had problems with the latex. I've updated it with my progress, I just don't know where to go after integrating the function.
Reply 3
what happens when you put in the limits ?
Reply 4
what happens when you put in the limits ?

Maybe I'm missing something but i can't see how it converges.
Reply 5
is it for an undergraduate course ?
Reply 6
is it for an undergraduate course ?

Yes, I'm calculating the moment generating function of an exponentially distributed random variable X with parameter 1.

It's just a review of probability theory but it's been a while since I studied it... And even longer since i studied a calculus course.
Reply 7
are you sure the lower limit is not zero ?
Reply 8
are you sure the lower limit is not zero ?

In the notes we were given, E[h(x)] = Integral between plus and minus infinity (h(x)fx(x)dx)

So in this case h(x) = e^Zx and fx(x) = e^-x

Unless there is a reason to use 0 as the lower limit in this case, perhaps because an exponential rv is strictly non negative?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Carpetman
In the notes we were given, E[h(x)] = Integral between plus and minus infinity (h(x)fx(x)dx)

Unless there is a reason to use 0 as the lower limit in this case, perhaps because an exponential rv is strictly positive?

i looked for it on a well-known search engine...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BakFPFwrCfsC&pg=PA139&lpg=PA139&dq=%22moment+generating+function+of+an+exponentially+distributed+random+variable+%22&source=bl&ots=WzE8QxrGTS&sig=aIIxfZ8V3brQGmGz8WwUGY9tEw8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=EPjrUt3DAsixhAfJkAE&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22moment%20generating%20function%20of%20an%20exponentially%20distributed%20random%20variable%20%22&f=false

and they are starting at zero
Reply 11

Unless there is a reason to use 0 as the lower limit in this case, perhaps because an exponential rv is strictly non negative?

Your integral as you've written it can't possibly converge because if Z-1 is positive it will diverge at one end of the integration range and if Z-1 is negative it will diverge at the other :smile:

You need to re-check your definition of the distribution or the valid values on which it is defined.
Reply 12
You're right, I assume that is because of the nature of an exponential rv, but now even using 0 instead of minus infinity, it still does not converge :confused:

i will hand over to the experts.... TENOFTHEM !!! DAVROS !!!!
Reply 13
Original post by davros
Your integral as you've written it can't possibly converge because if Z-1 is positive it will diverge at one end of the integration range and if Z-1 is negative it will diverge at the other :smile:

You need to re-check your definition of the distribution or the valid values on which it is defined.

Problem solved, I missed the fact that z < 1 and therefore z-1 is negative.

The lower limit is infact 0 and not minus infinity as the exponential function is non negative.

Answer is 1/(1-Z)

Thanks to both of you!
Reply 14
Problem solved, I missed the fact that z < 1 and therefore z-1 is negative.

The lower limit is infact 0 and not minus infinity as the exponential function is non negative.

Answer is 1/(1-Z)

Thanks to both of you!

No problem - glad you got it sorted :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest