The Student Room Group

Sitting 6 A-level Maths exams in the summer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Frieza
I'm gonna be sitting 5, I got an E in mechanics and not retaking it TROLOLOLOL.

never pick m1, NEVER PICK MOTHER ****ER 1

I HEAR IT IN MY DREAMS, M1 M1, PLS, NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Lmaooooo, and I though S1 was bad! M1 sounds like hell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChrisTMH
If you're sitting more than 2 maths exams, prepare your will.

My will was compiled when I first began my A-level studies. I've got allllll bases covered

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
But that's when I do my A2 revision/homework lol. I'm not as organised as you :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do A2 revision after college? Just sacrifice these 2 year's then party hard at uni lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
My will was compiled when I first began my A-level studies. I've got allllll bases covered

Posted from TSR Mobile

As for the question, tell me exactly how many units you've done? (C1, C2, C3 probably?)
insha'Allah! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too :smile: just stay organised with your revision and all should go well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to be sitting all of my A-level Maths exams (C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and S2) in the summer and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed at the prospect.

Any tips on how I should try and balance my AS & A2 revision? Also, is anyone else in this situation?

Edit: I'm not doing FM, I'm doing AS & A2 Maths in one year

Nice, trust me you have enough time to get it done. I was in a similar situation last year, though I had 9 exams in total till march when I picked up 7 extra exams. It was fun I must say.
Original post by Lord Frieza
As for the question, tell me exactly how many units you've done? (C1, C2, C3 probably?)

Well I did C1 and C2 last year and haven't really looked at them since. So far this year I've done C3 and S2. Haven't touched S1 or C4 yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Well I did C1 and C2 last year and haven't really looked at them since. So far this year I've done C3 and S2. Haven't touched S1 or C4 yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Start now!

I have A2 and As classes but done 0 revision at home for AS but still doing well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
Start now!

I have A2 and As classes but done 0 revision at home for AS but still doing well

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have my A2 mocks soon and lots of coursework to focus on so I don't know how I'll be able to find time for AS revision :s It's too late for me to join the AS classes I think
I have my A2 mocks soon and lots of coursework to focus on so I don't know how I'll be able to find time for AS revision :s It's too late for me to join the AS classes I think

You really don't need to spend much time on the core modules, but i would advice looking at S1 and D1 (if that's the ones you are doing)
Original post by Username1818
You really don't need to spend much time on the core modules, but i would advice looking at S1 and D1 (if that's the ones you are doing)

Yeah that makes sense, I think I will (only S1 though,I'm not doing D1)
Reply 71
I've started doing past papers now. 8 c3, all of AS chemistry, 4 on biol4, 2 on f334, 2 of biol 1+2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Jesus Christ, best of luck! Don't underestimate C3, make sure you know trig inside out :smile: Try keep your revision focused at the high end, so all your units have been learnt to an A2 standard :wink:
Reply 73
I'm going to be sitting all of my A-level Maths exams (C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and S2) in the summer and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed at the prospect.

Any tips on how I should try and balance my AS & A2 revision? Also, is anyone else in this situation?

Edit: I'm not doing FM, I'm doing AS & A2 Maths in one year

I did the same last year and I would just say not to feel overwhelmed, because you have lots of time in between the AS and A2 modules to revise. I was confident with C1 and C2 (and M1) which were before the half term so I didn't really prepare much during the exam period (I spent that time on my other subjects), but I found the A2 modules (C3, C4 and M2) harder to I spent the whole half-term working on past papers.

Make sure that you're in a position where before exam period, you can easily do past papers and get 65-70+ every time. If you can do that, then the exams are just a formality really and there is no need to get nervous.

Edit: I didn't bother with much of the questions in the book to be honest. Once I found that I had a general understanding of all the chapters, I just started doing past papers with my exercise and textbook and then graduated to timed, exam condition past papers. It was a very effective method.

I'm doing 7 maths exams this year (FP1-3 and S1-4)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PG593
Jesus Christ, best of luck! Don't underestimate C3, make sure you know trig inside out :smile: Try keep your revision focused at the high end, so all your units have been learnt to an A2 standard :wink:

Thank you very much - I'll need it! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Giant
I did the same last year and I would just say not to feel overwhelmed, because you have lots of time in between the AS and A2 modules to revise. I was confident with C1 and C2 (and M1) which were before the half term so I didn't really prepare much during the exam period (I spent that time on my other subjects), but I found the A2 modules (C3, C4 and M2) harder to I spent the whole half-term working on past papers.

Make sure that you're in a position where before exam period, you can easily do past papers and get 65-70+ every time. If you can do that, then the exams are just a formality really and there is no need to get nervous.

Edit: I didn't bother with much of the questions in the book to be honest. Once I found that I had a general understanding of all the chapters, I just started doing past papers with my exercise and textbook and then graduated to timed, exam condition past papers. It was a very effective method.

I'm doing 7 maths exams this year (FP1-3 and S1-4)

I think this is the best advice I've gotten on this thread - thank you! I'll try not to get overwhelmed, which is difficult considering I'm up to my eyeballs in coursework at the moment and have no idea when I'll be able to start revising for Maths in earnest. By when do you think I should have learnt all the content completely?
Reply 76
I think this is the best advice I've gotten on this thread - thank you! I'll try not to get overwhelmed, which is difficult considering I'm up to my eyeballs in coursework at the moment and have no idea when I'll be able to start revising for Maths in earnest. By when do you think I should have learnt all the content completely?

No problem :smile:

I would advise trying to get into the habit of doing maths as something you do in your spare time or in between your coursework etc. for other subjects. Had enough of history/english/whatever coursework? Well wind down by doing a maths question, or by watching an examsolutions video for a chapter that you're unsure on. This way, you can make the chapters that you're weakest in (e.g. I hated C4 Vectors) into your strengths and something that you look forward to answering on an exam paper.

The method of cramming doesn't really work for maths as well as it does for other subjects, it tends to be something that slowly sinks in over time.

Try to have all the content done for all modules except C4 over before Easter and spend your Easter holidays consolidating that knowledge for the other modules via past papers and learning C4 (and revising other subjects). The reason I say except C4 is because some people panic and think they should learn it as soon as possible, and end up rushing ahead but not fully understanding it. C4 Integration is a massive chapter, you need to go through it patiently in class before you can completely understand it.

Obviously feel free to do what works best for you, but this is just what worked well for me last year.
I mean I'm only doing 3 modules this year and my teacher has us doing 4 past papers a week XD.
I did my AS maths last year in year 11 and this year doing c3-4 and m1. There is a lot to remember for c4 but personally I think it's a lot easier. Like sure the maths and processes are harder than c3 but c3 does sometimes have some really horrible problems and things to trip you up. C4 is like 80% vectors and integration but c3 has loads of topics. What I'm trying to get at is that core 4 literally tells you how to do each question but c3 expects you to be able to spot a bit more with stuff like trig.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending