The Student Room Group

What is your favourite charity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by majmuh24
It may not seem complicated to you but there may be a lot of factors involved that make this more complicated.

Have you not noticed the lack of interest on this poll and how no one has actually supported this idea yet?

Seriously? I created this poll like half an hour ago... :rolleyes: sheesh.

Original post by nivvy21
Haha, thanks for the support though :tongue:

I think we should speak to someone about the possibility of it first?

Sure. :smile:
Got 9 users to vote in 28 mins! We're doing alright!
Original post by nivvy21
I understand its fairly complicated and it hasn't been an hour yet, no need to be rude!

It's not being rude, just stating a fact. Tell me, out of all the people who have actually posted, how many of them support this or think it will actually succeed?

You haven't even spoken to anyone about it yet and expect to barge in without doing any planning.

Nice idea and interesting concept, but it's been executed badly and I doubt it will work.
Original post by chocolatesauce
Isn't this similar to what L'evil fish tried a few moths ago but I don't think it worked, maybe you will be more lucky :smile:

I don't know, possibly. Better luck this time hopefully! :biggrin:
Original post by chocolatesauce
Isn't this similar to what L'evil fish tried a few moths ago but I don't think it worked, maybe you will be more lucky :smile:

Could you possibly link me to his thread please and thanks for letting us know!
Original post by nivvy21
Haha, thanks for the support though :tongue:

I think we should speak to someone about the possibility of it first?

So you've made a thread but you haven't actually spoken to anyone?

Right. Good luck.
Original post by CJG21
So you've made a thread but you haven't actually spoken to anyone?

Right. Good luck.

Well, we thought we'd petition first, because the petition is meant to persuade people, right?
Original post by StarvingAutist
Seriously? I created this poll like half an hour ago... :rolleyes: sheesh.

Sure. :smile:

The poll doesn't matter, even I voted and I don't support this idea.

The question is, out of all the people that have posted regarding this (on either thread) how many of them actually support it? It would help if you could give an actual numerical value.
It's good of you to try and do something like this, I respect your want to help make a difference. However, majumuh is correct with what he is saying.
It's not being rude, just stating a fact. Tell me, out of all the people who have actually posted, how many of them support this or think it will actually succeed?

You haven't even spoken to anyone about it yet and expect to barge in without doing any planning.

Nice idea and interesting concept, but it's been executed badly and I doubt it will work.

9 people who have voted vs 3 people who voiced negative opinions.

Perhaps the supporters just felt no need to comment.
Original post by CJG21
It's good of you to try and do something like this, I respect your want to help make a difference. However, majumuh is correct with what he is saying.

I still think it's worth a try.
Reply 31
Not really familiar with all UK charities, but I think that since TSR is fundamentally an education-based website, the charity should be one that supports/aids in the education of disadvantaged children, UK or abroad.
Original post by CJG21

Precisely it, I have nothing personally against this idea and would be nice if it worked, but the hard truth is that it won't happen.

I myself am helping out with a local charity event and understand the effort and planning that goes into it, and that was just at a small local school.

Sorry guys, but this idea has been badly set up and planned and just won't work.
Original post by geodawson
Not really familiar with all UK charities, but I think that since TSR is fundamentally an education-based website, the charity should be one that supports/aids in the education of disadvantaged children, UK or abroad.

Excellent point.
Original post by StarvingAutist
9 people who have voted vs 3 people who voiced negative opinions.

Perhaps the supporters just felt no need to comment.

I'm not talking about the poll, even people who don't think it will work (like me) have voted on there so that is not accurate.

My question is, on both this thread and the other, how many people have actually supported this and how many people have voiced negative opinions (through their posts)
Reply 35
I generally don't support any charity unless it is a local one that supports local issues.

Not interested in what's happening to African kids in Africa when there are plenty of issues locally that charity can help solve. I never support any that sends out fundraisers either as if I give 50000NOK then I want to see 50000NOK going to a very good cause not paying someone's wages.
Original post by geodawson

Ooh, interesting! Thank you! :h:

I'm not talking about the poll, even people who don't think it will work (like me) have voted on there so that is not accurate.

My question is, on both this thread and the other, how many people have actually supported this and how many people have voiced negative opinions (through their posts)

Does it matter?
Original post by nivvy21
Well, we thought we'd petition first, because the petition is meant to persuade people, right?

Also, I believe L'Evil Fish tried a similar idea to this (which was much better planned out) and even that failed, which is another reason why I doubt this will work.
Original post by Alfissti
I generally don't support any charity unless it is a local one that supports local issues.

Not interested in what's happening to African kids in Africa when there are plenty of issues locally that charity can help solve. I never support any that sends out fundraisers either as if I give 50000NOK then I want to see 50000NOK going to a very good cause not paying someone's wages.

Oh, I see, so you want a charity that shows you where your money is going?

More people are in support than are against. (of this particular idea)

Original post by Alfissti

Well, that's fair enough - is there a charity you'd like to suggest for the poll? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending