The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Im from Notts. You don't need a PG key

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phew! Thank you!
Does anyone have any contacts for placements in west yorkshire?? Greatly apprrciated :smile:
Original post by evaeveeva0
Three As!!!! so pleased and relieved -- going to glasgow!!! when is the english exam results date???

In which subjects? Trying to pick the right ones for a level...
Original post by studentlife444
How many people here who got offers for vet school did an Extended project qualification too? Thank you☺️

I did it! I did mine on the economic implications of Bovine TB and if the badger cull is the best policy to tackle it from an exonomic perspective. I really enjoyed doing it and it was great to talk about at interview but it was difficult and took a lot of time management
Original post by Lizziefickling
It's just as hard to get in as it is for someone coming from school just finishing A-levels. You still need to get a 2:1 or above in your degree, and you are interviewed in the same way as all the other candidates. Saying that, it's NOT impossible, and there's plenty of spaces available for grad students.
I didn't get in as soon as I finished my degree (I did bioveterinary science) but I took a year, got even more work experience, worked on my confidence and I got in a year later, along with a lot of other graduate students. I'm not doing the graduate 4 year degree, I'm on the 5 year course at Liverpool, but all students are treated the same, just RVC may interview graduate students separately for the accelerated 4 year course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask how you managed to afford a second degree? I'm worried I might have to go down that route and I'm not sure how I'll be able to get the funds together
I'm legitimately concerned that I'm going to have to turn my offer down because I can't find anywhere to stay :redface:

If anyone knows Notts students I am desperate for accommodation 😩
Original post by Selinah5
I'm legitimately concerned that I'm going to have to turn my offer down because I can't find anywhere to stay :redface:

That's terrible :lolwut:

Maybe make a post in the student accommodation forum? There's bound to be some Facebook groups for this sort of thing too, if you haven't looked there already.

I really hope you find somewhere soon, that must be so stressful :frown:

Have you tried halls? There's always room...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm starting in Bristol in a couple of weeks. The laptop I have currently is almost dead and seriously needs replacing but I don't know what laptop to get next. Is someone able to advise on how much you used your laptop for the vet med course, what sort of things you used it for, do you take yours to uni everyday with you, did you use it for note taking etc? Thanks!
I have some brand new vet kit and vet kit that has only been used a few times for sale if anyone wants to save some money! All in excellent condition I had to leave the course after a few weeks. Looking to sell for cheap to help you out a bit-PM me if interested :smile:

Do you have Facebook, if so are you part of the "vet med" chat that notts year 1 vet med students are in, you might find someone there or on the Nottingham vets freshers 2016 page
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by w0nderlanddream
Hey, I'm starting in Bristol in a couple of weeks. The laptop I have currently is almost dead and seriously needs replacing but I don't know what laptop to get next. Is someone able to advise on how much you used your laptop for the vet med course, what sort of things you used it for, do you take yours to uni everyday with you, did you use it for note taking etc? Thanks!

Depends on how you learn/take notes. I take my laptop to uni every day and annotate the lecture notes on it, saves me printing off pages of notes and wasting tons of paper and having to file it and keeps me alert in lectures writing on the notes on the laptop. I have a MacBook Air and it's really light to take into uni every day which is why I went for it - normally I wouldn't go for a MacBook because they're expensive but it's definitely been worth the money. I also use it for writing any assignments/my dissertation on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use mine everyday. I use Microsoft One Note :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't bring my laptop into uni, I prefer to print out lecture notes in the library and annotate those in lectures and will use Vet Revise to make flashcards on the computers in uni in between lectures or after. I hardly ever use my laptop to work from home as I prefer to stay late in uni and work then just chill when I get home.
Hi guys, I got a place at long last. My issue was that I won't leave my pets behind.

@amie1997 I have Facebook but I'm not part of that chat! I'd love to join but I'm a prelim year student, can I in that case? Also how do I?
Hi guys, I got a place at long last. My issue was that I won't leave my pets behind.

@amie1997 I have Facebook but I'm not part of that chat! I'd love to join but I'm a prelim year student, can I in that case? Also how do I?

Congrats! Same about the pets :frown: not sure what I'll do :redface:
Original post by Treen98
Congrats! Same about the pets :frown: not sure what I'll do :redface:

Borrow someone else's pet at uni haha! I've had several requests for people to come sit with my dogs 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a page called Nottingham vet school freshers 2016, if you request to enter it, one of the vet doc members will accept (may take a few days) then just comment on a recent post or put up a post asking to be added into the chat, can't see why there'd be a problem, hopefully hear from you soon😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A.Francis
May I ask how you managed to afford a second degree? I'm worried I might have to go down that route and I'm not sure how I'll be able to get the funds together

Didn't see your post there sorry! I'm lucky in the fact my parents help me fund it, I have a maintenance loan from student finance which helps with living costs but my mum pays my fees for me. There is no funding available for a second degree unfortunately, but it can be done. My best friend pays for hers by being extremely tight with money, a small donation from family, and she works during holidays and saves up to pay for each instalment. We have to pay £9000 a year for fees at Liverpool, Edinburgh would have been out of the question as a graduate.

My advice would be to avoid that route unless it's a last last resort, if you have exams which you haven't done so well in, resit them first, exhaust every other option before you consider doing the graduate route as its not only awkward to fund, but it's a long way to go and having been at university now for 5 years it is exhausting and I do have to remind myself why I wanted to do this in the first place to keep myself going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
I use mine everyday. I use Microsoft One Note :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm new to using One Note, have you got any advice/tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending