The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
You can do :smile: Most people that I know of who do 5 AS subjects are only planning on dropping one, but you could definitely drop two if you wanted to. Try not to underestimate the workload, though. At my school only four people still do five AS subjects, and a lot of them (I can think of about ten off the top of my head) only do three AS because four was too much for them. At my school you can only do five if you take further maths, but several of my friends at another school started with five and dropped back down to four within about two weeks. I don't think there is any benefit in doing five, but if you want to then go for it :smile:

I don't think I want to actually do five, but was just wondering :smile:
Original post by beccac94
Never too early to look at unis I think :biggrin:

Aha, okay! :tongue:
Hello. I'm in year 11 at the moment and I've wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember. I've been volunteering at an animal charity for two years and I do every Tuesday after school or for full days at a vets practice by me. I have a week at a farm vets and I was just wondering if that would class as large animal vets practice, farming or both?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by AnimalLover97
Hello. I'm in year 11 at the moment and I've wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember. I've been volunteering at an animal charity for two years and I do every Tuesday after school or for full days at a vets practice by me. I have a week at a farm vets and I was just wondering if that would class as large animal vets practice, farming or both?
Thank you :smile:

Large animal vets counts as large animal vets only

You need to get some farm work experience on a dairy farm. Work at a stables, pig farm, kennels and lambing in the spring are other things you should consider getting experience in as well :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber

You need to get some farm work experience on a dairy farm. Work at a stables, pig farm, kennels and lambing in the spring are other things you should consider getting experience in as well :smile:

Hi, thank you so much! I've got a few weeks next year at farms but I hadn't considered a pig farm. I'll see if I can find one somewhere :smile:
Hi guys,
Sorry I am new to SR so i apologise if my etiquette isnt up to scratch... I need some advise...
I recently changed my mind on what i wanted to do at uni.. I was thinking biochemistry, and was pretty set on it, open days booked and so on... But i now was to do vet med... But i have NO work experience.... I really do want to do it, and am happy to use my whole summer getting experience... I just want to know your views...

Thanks so much in advance!!!!!
Original post by lorien123
Hi guys,
Sorry I am new to SR so i apologise if my etiquette isnt up to scratch... I need some advise...
I recently changed my mind on what i wanted to do at uni.. I was thinking biochemistry, and was pretty set on it, open days booked and so on... But i now was to do vet med... But i have NO work experience.... I really do want to do it, and am happy to use my whole summer getting experience... I just want to know your views...

Er.. tricky situation

You need as much w/e as you can get

Dairy and stable work are a must for at least a week preferably 2 weeks each. Then you need some vet w/e at a vets... for at least one week. Other work to look into getting would be kennel work, pig farm.

You've left it really late but if you get at least 6 weeks work experience then you're applicable to all the uni's from memory.

Best of luck! :smile:
Er.. tricky situation

You need as much w/e as you can get

Dairy and stable work are a must for at least a week preferably 2 weeks each. Then you need some vet w/e at a vets... for at least one week. Other work to look into getting would be kennel work, pig farm.

You've left it really late but if you get at least 6 weeks work experience then you're applicable to all the uni's from memory.

Best of luck! :smile:

lorien123

x

Apart from Liverpool - so don't apply there as they need a minimum of 10 weeks but place a lot of value on it so ideally you want 15+ weeks for Liverpool.

I agree with Angry Cucumber - you need to really knuckle down and use all your available holidays and even weekends to get some solid work experience under you belt. There is a useful thread on the main forum all about work exp. - take a look at it there for some ideas.

Good luck!

I live in south west Essex and I'm seriously finding no farms (anywhere)
Any help
Original post by lorien123
Hi guys,

Most vets I know have a solid 2+ years work experience.
Tbh, a becoming a vet is a lifetime commitment. From the age of 13 you need to be volunteering.
You could always apply and see how you do. If you want it badly enough you could apply until you get a place.
Original post by pphilip99
Tbh, a becoming a vet is a lifetime commitment. From the age of 13 you need to be volunteering.
You could always apply and see how you do. If you want it badly enough you could apply until you get a place.

I disagree, I don't think you need to be volunteering from the age of 13 and I doubt many places would take you at that age! I only started when I was 16/17 and got interviews everywhere I applied (click on my profile to see what work experience I did etc.). I know people who got in with fewer weeks than I had as well so not all lost is hope if you only decide to be a vet later in life. :smile:
Reply 91
Was just wondering if anyone knows of any veterinary-related courses that do not require Chemistry past GCSE? I know Nottingham offer a preliminary year, but any other info would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I disagree, I don't think you need to be volunteering from the age of 13 and I doubt many places would take you at that age! I only started when I was 16/17 and got interviews everywhere I applied (click on my profile to see what work experience I did etc.). I know people who got in with fewer weeks than I had as well so not all lost is hope if you only decide to be a vet later in life. :smile:

I started when I was 13.
Ok

Hardly anywhere would accept a 13 year old on work experience, I got most of mine aged 16+
Hardly anywhere would accept a 13 year old on work experience, I got most of mine aged 16+

Really? Loads in my area do it for 13 year olds, but there aren't many farms near me.
Can I ask, all of you 16+ plus that do work experience now, do you have a part-time job?
:smile:
Can I ask, all of you 16+ plus that do work experience now, do you have a part-time job?

I had a a part time job at mcdonalds and worked 8 hours saturday and 8 hours sunday.
Original post by skatealexia
I had a a part time job at mcdonalds and worked 8 hours saturday and 8 hours sunday.

Were you still doing your work experience at that time?
Reply 98

I have a part time job working in a kennels and cattery and have done for the past 2 years.
Original post by Lily17
I have a part time job working in a kennels and cattery and have done for the past 2 years.

Does that count towards your work experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending