The Student Room Group

ACCA apprenticeship or Economics degree

Hi!
i have applied to study economics at Warwick, Exeter, York, Surrey and Newcastle. Have offers Fromm the latter three, waiting for decisions from the other two.

i have also applied for am apprenticeship where I would gain an AAT qualification and the progress with the company to ACCA.

i was just wondering, I want to go into accounting (possible management accountancy) which would be a better route. Also which would employers prefer?
Reply 1
I would imagine that if you had a degree in Economics from Warwick (that's the best/most employable course you mentioned above, imo, in case you were wondering) then you'll probably have more opportunities presented to you on the basis of your CV alone. But I don't think not having a degree will hold you back if your in an open minded crowd. I'd be surprised if you would ever be worse off financially, given your swapping 27k course fees for c. 50k earnings in your first 3 years.
Reply 2
Original post by jj193
I would imagine that if you had a degree in Economics from Warwick (that's the best/most employable course you mentioned above, imo, in case you were wondering) then you'll probably have more opportunities presented to you on the basis of your CV alone. But I don't think not having a degree will hold you back if your in an open minded crowd. I'd be surprised if you would ever be worse off financially, given your swapping 27k course fees for c. 50k earnings in your first 3 years.

Debatable. Outside of very specific roles, I don't see how a degree is more employable than three years experience and a professional qualification?

That said, uni does offer good opportunities.
Reply 3
Original post by jj193

Original post by M1011
Debatable. Outside of very specific roles, I don't see how a degree is more employable than three years experience and a professional qualification?

That said, uni does offer good opportunities.

at the moment I think I am going to do ACCA unless I get an offer from Warwick.
however I was wondering if doing ACCA and not having a degree may limit my options in the future or not.
i don't want to waste three years doing an unnecessary degree or qualification.
anymore thoughts or advice?
Reply 4
Original post by Economics567
at the moment I think I am going to do ACCA unless I get an offer from Warwick.
however I was wondering if doing ACCA and not having a degree may limit my options in the future or not.
i don't want to waste three years doing an unnecessary degree or qualification.
anymore thoughts or advice?

No choice is perfect, there's definitely pros and cons to both. Degrees do open up doors, no doubt. However, on balance, is it worth three years of your precious time and all that debt? In this day and age from a pure employability perspective, probably not. At the end of the day you could do the degree and in three years time find yourself searching for a similar training contract and in no better position than you are now!

All that said, there are other reasons to choose uni. Many thoroughly enjoy their student years and it gives you the opportunity to maybe try different things (internships, societies etc) so you may come out the other end with a better idea of what you want to do. So there isn't a right choice really, unfortunately it just isn't that easy.
Reply 5
Just would like to know that did you do ACCA or went to uni? Would you say you are happy with the chiice you made?
I'm not the OP but had similar options, I personally went for the AAT/ACCA apprenticeship route and am happy with my choice, it was the most logical in my opinion. The only thing I really missed out on by doing this was the social aspect. After getting a degree you still have to do ACCA/ACA/CIMA anyway. Also if you do ACCA you have the option of getting Bsc from Oxford Brookes alongside it.
Reply 7
I also was contemplating an apprenticeship vs degree and went for a degree in Economics. For me, it was the best decision because I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to be an accountant, I was also contemplating other roles such as banking, economist, actuary etc. so I thought a degree would give me more options. I also think going to university offers more than an education, it's a place to gain a bit of independence and find yourself which I think I did. I also do think a degree adds more to your CV and opens you up to other opportunities after you qualify.

The con of going to university is that it takes longer than an apprenticeship so it's going to take me a total of 6 years to become a chartered accountant when I could have done it in 3/4 years. Another con is the student loan debt which I have to pay, if you take an apprenticeship you'll not only get the education for free but you'll also be earning money for the first 3 years instead of racking up debt like you do at uni.

Overall, it's a personal decision, there is no right or wrong decision, just go with whatever feels right for you and you won't regret it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending