The Student Room Group

Maths or economics degree/CertHE?

Poll

Maths or economics degree/CertHE for investment banking?

As far as entry into investment banking is concerned, I'm readily aware that your place of study plays an important role with regards to your chances of securing a place at a respectable firm. However, hypothetically speaking;

Imagine you were a recruiter for an investment bank (or any financial organisation for that matter), which degree/CertHE would you favour? Maths or economics?

Again, I know that there's a greater emphasis on the university than the course itself, but surely, a grad from Oxford Brookes with a 1:1 in mathematics would be a better candidate (on paper, regardless of A-levels) than a grad from Oxford with a 2:1 in music. Etc..
To be honest, an A* in A-Level Further Maths would be equivalent to a '1:1' from Oxford Brookes. :lol:

Also, they wouldn't care, as long as you went to Oxbridge/Durham/Imperial.
Reply 2
Original post by genuinelydense
To be honest, an A* in A-Level Further Maths would be equivalent to a '1:1' from Oxford Brookes. :lol:

Interesting
Reply 3

Actually, it's Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL, Warwick.
Original post by Mike_123
Actually, it's Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL, Warwick.

Interdasting... I'll take your word for it, but why? Durham trumps UCL in all subjects and Warwick in everything but mathematics.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Interdasting... I'll take your word for it, but why? Durham trumps UCL in all subjects and Warwick in everything but mathematics.

Do you go to Durham, by any chance?

UCL > Durham in Maths, Law, Economics, Medicine, Politics, Languages, Computer Science, etc...

Warwick > Durham in Maths, Economics, A&F, PPE, Computer Science, etc...

Let's be honest, Durham is a poor man's Oxbridge.
Do you go to Durham, by any chance?

UCL > Durham in Maths, Law, Economics, Medicine, Politics, Languages, Computer Science, etc...

Warwick > Durham in Maths, Economics, A&F, PPE, Computer Science, etc...

Let's be honest, Durham is a poor man's Oxbridge.

i hold offers from oxford and durham. i didnt apply to ucl because their halls looked scummy.

durhams better overall, good day.
Are you mad bro!?!?!?!?

2:1 or 1:1 economics or maths from oxbridge lse warwick imperial (maths or engineering) = Instant job offer (more so london unis and cambridge)

razza out
Reply 8
i hold offers from oxford and durham. i didnt apply to ucl because their halls looked scummy.

durhams better overall, good day.

I don't like UCL either, but it is better than Durham. Relating this back to the thread, that's why it's a target uni, and Durham is not. It's close, but it's not good enough.

Oh, so you hold an offer from Oxford? At least don't BS.

I don't like UCL either, but it is better than Durham. Relating this back to the thread, that's why it's a target uni, and Durham is not. It's close, but it's not good enough.

Oh, so you hold an offer from Oxford? At least don't BS.

that woz my cousin
Reply 10
that woz my cousin

k.
Reply 11
it doesnt really matter, the uni is more important
lol, durham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending