The Student Room Group

One lesson every day good idea?

Basically I've got a new job which is only like 10 minute drive from my house but the roads are pretty dangerous to cycle and theres no public transport, unless I want to walk for 30 mins and get a bus that gets me to the office 40 mins before it's open... nightmare!!

So I'm thinking of getting driving lessons to take me to work every day until I pass my test... Is this a good way to learn? I don't have a parents car to practise on as they have 4x4s and insurance is ridiculous so I feel like having my lessons closer together will help me learn better for the test?

Thoughts?

Jem x
Reply 1
or you know, get a taxi?
Reply 2
will cost the same amount as a driving lesson.....
Reply 3
Original post by Jemmelia
will cost the same amount as a driving lesson.....

10 minutes for £20 plus, what?

several problems;

1. driving instructors aren't always on time
2. they aren't likely to take 1 person everyday as it's unfair on other students
Reply 4
Original post by jusdorange
10 minutes for £20 plus, what?

several problems;

1. driving instructors aren't always on time
2. they aren't likely to take 1 person everyday as it's unfair on other students

I obviously wouldn't ask for a ten minute driving lesson, I would schedule it for an hour and a bit before I have to be at work. Hmmm... Second point could be a problem.
Reply 5
Original post by Jemmelia
I obviously wouldn't ask for a ten minute driving lesson, I would schedule it for an hour and a bit before I have to be at work. Hmmm... Second point could be a problem.

I meant the taxi

where do you live that charges £20 to go 10 minutes
You could do...

I mean I don't drive, the only foreseeable problem for me is the intake of information over a short period of time. You may and up forgetting chunks.
Reply 7
Original post by jusdorange
I meant the taxi

where do you live that charges £20 to go 10 minutes

A place where the taxi has to drive ten minutes to get to you in the first place and then ten minutes back afterwards... Yayyy love living in the middle of nowhere!

Original post by Blind Ferret
You could do...

I mean I don't drive, the only foreseeable problem for me is the intake of information over a short period of time. You may and up forgetting chunks.

I dunnoo, people do those one week intensive courses. Guess it's somewhere inbetween one of them and normal which sounds good to me.
Reply 8
It depends on what type of job you do and how intense it is.

An hour a day shouldn't be a problem if you're only working part time.

With the intensive you might be doing more hours in the car but you are not ending up at work afterwards/beforehand.
I personally did a 4 week semi-intensive, didn't regret taking this approach in the slightest. I started on 3 days a week at 2 hours per lesson, and worked up to 4 days a week at 3 hours per lesson. Surprising how quick the time goes, actually doing a 3 hour lesson meant that I was learning most things while the ball was already rolling and I'd already had time to get into the groove.

What time do you start work?

Quick Reply

Latest