The Student Room Group

Why can't they cut benefits to lower tuition fees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This thread literally depicts everything wrong about middle class Britain.
Why is it when people see 'benefits' they always think of scroungers?!
There are people who cant find work, people who cant work, and people who are disabled and deserve benefits.
I for one, dont mind my benefits going to these types of people.
Education may be a right in our country, but that's only until 16. Uni is a luxury and living off benefits is not everyone's idea of ideal. Cut benefits to lower fees??
Screw your head on.
Cut benefits to those who are learning disabled, those who are dying, those who need it? No.
Those who claim they look for a job and struggle? Can sort of see, but every time I look there's cleaner jobs, care jobs, etc. Stop being so picky and take one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Because university is everything right enough.

After dropping out of university and becoming one of those people that is paid for not studying or working, I couldn't disagree more with this ridiculous thread. I feel sorry for you as it seems that you're one of those brainwashed people that thinks university is the only path to success.
Reply 43
Original post by deviant182

Those who claim they look for a job and struggle? Can sort of see, but every time I look there's cleaner jobs, care jobs, etc. Stop being so picky and take one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For over 16 hours? The difficulty is that these jobs, besides often needing experience and qualifications, are not over 16 hours. Especially cleaning vacancies. Rather they may be a couple of hours every weekday. These doesn't get people off benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, although most of their earnings will be deducted from their benefit.

Even if working over 16 hours, but under 30, most people aren't entitled to working tax credits which are necessary to bump up income.

Also, not everyone can be a carer or support worker. Even putting experience to one side it take personal qualities that some just don't have (active listening, empathy, gentle non-judgmental nature...)
I say cut military spending!
Reply 45
Claim back what the fat cats avoid. Billions worth of untaxed goodies move off shore. No one asks why because the poor are easy targets.
Reply 46
Original post by tsnake23
Yes that is an small anomaly but the government also subsidise alternative schemes for people in this educational age group who do not take A-levels. This includes apprenticeships or skills colleges. The majority of people in this country will benefit from some form of post GCSE educational subsidy even if they don't do A-levels.

Any further education past A-level is not a universal benefit to the majority of taxpayers - it does mean the UK as a whole from having more degree educated people but overall the vast majority of the benefit is provided to the subset of the population that go to university.

The NHS is a form of public medical insurance.

One way of thinking about it: the government effectively provides you with free medical insurance for life. You may be perfectly healthy and not use it, however it does not mean you should not have medical insurance.

Yes and apprenticeships are subsidised for those starting them after A-Levels, and even those taking them at age 16 they can last four years anyway, small point.

It is pretty much a universal benefit for the majority of tax payers (ie those between 18 and 65), fees came in '98 so those from age 34 to 65 had access - ie 2/3rds of taxpayers.

If university education primarily benefits the student why:
- Do the fees only start to be paid a year after graduation and not regular in nature (if I buy a house, the repayments are fixed and start immediately)?
- Does the loan get cancelled after 30 years?
- Does the interest rate get worse the more you earn?

Sounds like very odd terms for a loan...
Why is the Govt even providing a loan? I can't get one from them for a car...
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
Oh yeah, let's take money away from the people who need it to survive because university is way more important, huh?

I don't get it. The people who go to Eton or Winchester don't steal money from the poor. They earn it themselves! There's no problem about sending their children to private schools because the parents think that they will provide better education. The Prime Minister in England graduated from Eton. Are you saying he's a thief?
Original post by purple_panther
I say cut military spending!

Whoo Hoo! Somebody's finally saying something productive. Millitary spending use up a lot of money. I say that a portion should be given to charity to help the poor!
Original post by serebro

But isn't increasing the tuition fee counter-productive, since it's putting people off going into higher education. Sure, some people can find work, but employers want education or work experience, which school leavers don't have. Some may resort to benefits, which is just costing the UK more without giving any return whatsoever (like going to uni and getting a job).

The UK society has become accustomed to benefits for decades.
if you implement a decrease in the pay-outs, there will be an uprising.
and they will riot if you tell them that the reason for this new policy is because,
they want to lower tuition fees :eek:

UK is in a mess and will continue to be unless there is a change of government.
yes, this is the decline of the British empire.
i'll name you 10 inherent problems in the UK which will never be rectified.
and I'm not even British.

1) inefficient government ministries e.g Home Ministry.
repatriation of illegal immigrants are taking ages

2) abuse of National Health Service especially by foreigners.
they fly in, give birth and leave without paying.
they fly in, seek costly medical treatment and leave without paying.

3) lousy management of hospitals, recruitment of overseas doctors with dubious qualifications.
this results in botched operations and unnecessary loss of lives.
oh someone tell me why you need a 'NHS manager' :confused:

4) corruption & racism within the police force
do a google and you'll know.

5) abuse of privilege and wastage of funds by police crime commissioners.
these dud commissioners employ their family members, give them huge pay packets while salaries of police officers are reduced and officer are cut from their jobs.

6) shortage of food in food banks
there's just too many homeless, poor people in UK who're starving while politicians take long overseas holidays and parliament continues to sit in session for shorter and shorter days per annum.

7) high rates of teen pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections

8) rampant human trafficking where girls, women & children are brought into UK and made to prostitute themselves or become slaves

9) drastic cuts to legal aid. the poor won't have their day in court or seek justice they rightly deserve

10) strikes by teachers, police, lawyers are carried out. this affects daily operations.

Original post by Drewski
It's almost as simple as: More people need benefits than need lower tuition fees.

This!
Original post by serebro
I'm no expert on this, I have little political experience and so please tell me (nicely!) if I'm wrong. :colondollar:

But isn't increasing the tuition fee counter-productive, since it's putting people off going into higher education. Sure, some people can find work, but employers want education or work experience, which school leavers don't have. Some may resort to benefits, which is just costing the UK more without giving any return whatsoever (like going to uni and getting a job).

It kind of annoys me since I personally know people who earn their living from benefits lazily. I know people genuinely need them (particularly disabled), but even some of my extended family have luxuries (iPhone, Sky, 42", Gym memberships, TV) despite living on benefits. Meanwhile, I am going to university (Great!) but I have to pay £9000 a year. Yes, there is a loan, but I'm still going to have to eventually pay around £25000 throughout my life, which is about a year's salary/amount of work.

I don't mind paying a fee, but not a huge one like that. I'm trying to the right thing for both myself and the economy (study then work), and it's going to cost me to do so, while people on benefits are 'paid' for not doing either of them.

Any thoughts on this?

The more people that have degrees the less valuable they are. The increase in tuition fees is an effort to increase the value of degrees. If less people have them they are more valuable. It is supposed to put off people. Also, the government doesn't intend you to pay the loan back. They would rather you 'pay it off' until you're dead.

The fundamental purpose of benefits is good but the overall economy results in what you have described. When jobs pay the same as benefits this is what happens. When the children of poor families fail to get out of the cycle of income deprivation this is what happens. Some people say make them work for benefits but the work they do isn't needed lol.

Anywho.....got caught up in the benefits debate bs.

1) If the government makes tuition free the value of degrees plummets. If they are expensive the value of them increases.

2) If the government cuts benefits the ramifications will be unbearable i.e. increase in crime, increase in poverty etc...

3) Blame the employers for not paying you more. Do not blame people on benefits for claiming benefits.

Peace
Original post by saayagain

The fundamental purpose of benefits is good but the overall economy results in what you have described. When jobs pay the same as benefits this is what happens. When the children of poor families fail to get out of the cycle of income deprivation this is what happens. Some people say make them work for benefits but the work they do isn't needed lol.

3) Blame the employers for not paying you more. Do not blame people on benefits for claiming benefits.

Peace

Rarely, if ever, is someone better off by claiming benefits instead of working, particularly after the introduction of Working Tax C edits. The amount of money a person is better off by may not be much, especially when things such as childcare costs are factored in (but, again, there's far more childcare support now than there has been), but it's certainly not the case that a significant number of people are worse off in employment.

With benefits at subsistence levels (if that) for most this is not surprising.
Reply 52
Original post by Maura Kat
The UK society has become accustomed to benefits for decades.
if you implement a decrease in the pay-outs, there will be an uprising.
and they will riot if you tell them that the reason for this new policy is because,
they want to lower tuition fees :eek:

UK is in a mess and will continue to be unless there is a change of government.
yes, this is the decline of the British empire.
i'll name you 10 inherent problems in the UK which will never be rectified.
and I'm not even British.

1) inefficient government ministries e.g Home Ministry.
repatriation of illegal immigrants are taking ages

2) abuse of National Health Service especially by foreigners.
they fly in, give birth and leave without paying.
they fly in, seek costly medical treatment and leave without paying.

3) lousy management of hospitals, recruitment of overseas doctors with dubious qualifications.
this results in botched operations and unnecessary loss of lives.
oh someone tell me why you need a 'NHS manager' :confused:

4) corruption & racism within the police force
do a google and you'll know.

5) abuse of privilege and wastage of funds by police crime commissioners.
these dud commissioners employ their family members, give them huge pay packets while salaries of police officers are reduced and officer are cut from their jobs.

6) shortage of food in food banks
there's just too many homeless, poor people in UK who're starving while politicians take long overseas holidays and parliament continues to sit in session for shorter and shorter days per annum.

7) high rates of teen pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections

8) rampant human trafficking where girls, women & children are brought into UK and made to prostitute themselves or become slaves

9) drastic cuts to legal aid. the poor won't have their day in court or seek justice they rightly deserve

10) strikes by teachers, police, lawyers are carried out. this affects daily operations.

This!

lol, just lol.
Original post by River85
Rarely, if ever, is someone better off by claiming benefits instead of working, particularly after the introduction of Working Tax C edits. The amount of money a person is better off by may not be much, especially when things such as childcare costs are factored in (but, again, there's far more childcare support now than there has been), but it's certainly not the case that a significant number of people are worse off in employment.

With benefits at subsistence levels (if that) for most this is not surprising.

I said the same as not worse than.

Solving this so called lazy benefit claimants issue is very simple. The labour market needs to increase pay and the amount of jobs available otherwise it will get worse. More people on benefits and in work benefits i.e WTC.

If a low skilled job paid double what benefits paid there wouldn't be an issue

Toodles
Original post by Nfergs
Because university is everything right enough.

After dropping out of university and becoming one of those people that is paid for not studying or working, I couldn't disagree more with this ridiculous thread. I feel sorry for you as it seems that you're one of those brainwashed people that thinks university is the only path to success.

When your motive is money you do not need a degree.

*high five*
Reply 55
because when you get your degree and can't find a job, you need to pay for food somehow :tongue:
I said the same as not worse than.

Well, but even so in many cases people are better off in work.

I'm single and under 35. Normally someone like me wouldn't be entitled to Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefit) beyond the Shared Accommodation rate, which for where I live is £60 a week. However, as I have a disability I am entitled to the One Bedroom rate (£91). Similarly most people are only entitled to £74 a week in JSA. However, I am entitled to £160 a week (Disability and Severe Disability Premiums on top). Then there's council tax support, worth perhaps £400 a year.

So this makes around £258 a week in income related benefits.

Even if I just take a minimum wage job at 35 hours a week, that's £211 a week in take home pay. So £47 less than I get on benefits alone. But remember that what I can potentially receive, especially in JSA, is over twice what many others receive.

Moreoever, someone working in minimum wage employment will still be entitled to some council tax and housing benefit support. In addition to this there's Working Tax Credits which can bump income by another 3k a year.

Even factoring things such as increased travel costs, someone in employment is still likely to be better off than on benefits.

Solving this so called lazy benefit claimants issue is very simple. The labour market needs to increase pay and the amount of jobs available otherwise it will get worse. More people on benefits and in work benefits i.e WTC.

Great in theory.
Original post by serebro
I'm no expert on this, I have little political experience and so please tell me (nicely!) if I'm wrong. :colondollar:

It kind of annoys me since I personally know people who earn their living from benefits lazily. I know people genuinely need them (particularly disabled), but even some of my extended family have luxuries (iPhone, Sky, 42", Gym memberships, TV) despite living on benefits. Meanwhile, I am going to university (Great!) but I have to pay £9000 a year. Yes, there is a loan, but I'm still going to have to eventually pay around £25000 throughout my life, which is about a year's salary/amount of work.

I don't mind paying a fee, but not a huge one like that. I'm trying to the right thing for both myself and the economy (study then work), and it's going to cost me to do so, while people on benefits are 'paid' for not doing either of them.

Any thoughts on this?

As someone from a middle class background

Poor people not starving to death, is of much greater importance than prissy middle class kids not having a bit of debt (which they might not even be forced to pay back) to get what is really a luxury.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by River85
Great in theory.

It's easy to make jobs. Government doesn't control the economy. That's why they do not see the simplicity of it...
Reply 59
It's easy to make jobs. Government doesn't control the economy. That's why they do not see the simplicity of it...

Could you enlighten us how it happens then?

And why we haven't seen it happen before?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending