The Student Room Group

York or Bristol?

Hello!
I know that Bristol is a higher in the league tables for maths but york is higher overall. I've visited Bristol and loved it but I like the idea of a campus in York so I can't decide!

Can anyone give me some advice about which one to chose? Which is more internationally recognised/best for future jobs?
Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by frenchoib
Hello!
I know that Bristol is a higher in the league tables for maths but york is higher overall. I've visited Bristol and loved it but I like the idea of a campus in York so I can't decide!

Can anyone give me some advice about which one to chose? Which is more internationally recognised/best for future jobs?
Thanks!

First question: Why do you care what the league tables say?

I would have thought Bristol would be better on balance, but it probably depends on which region of the UK you're trying to get a job in. For most big employers, it will make negligible difference. More important will be your marks during the degree and the other skills you can pick up while there.

If I was picking on the basis of career prospects, I'd pick the one whose course I prefer, whose assessment style suits me better and which has a wider variety of opportunities for engaging in societies and taking on positions of responsibility. If employers from your chosen field tend to visit one campus and not the other then that might also tell you something, but that's assuming you have a chosen field.
go and visit them both... the difference is negligible - both are great universities.

Quick Reply