The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

If homosexuals can get married... Then men should be able to be legally raped.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Darien
So why not make a positive contribution to the debate and admit that if the woman was absolutely filthy in terms of looks/had an STD/got pregnant from raping you ... you would care.

Even that is rather a pointless addition to the debate: of course men care about being raped. But UK law still wouldn't call it rape, even though you do care.

(You almost certainly would care greatly if she got pregnant from raping you - which is a major motivator of female-on-male rape - since by law you would then become liable for the child's upbringing.)

I would care greatly if I got raped by a man, but being raped by a woman just isn't the same thing.

That's my contribution to the debate - A penis entering you is obtrusive. If you don't want it, it is an invasion of your body, highly damaging and highly emotionally distressing.

Being raped by a woman I really don't think would carry that same weight.

The reason I'd only care if the woman was ugly/had an STD/got pregnant is because of the effects and results those factors would then bring to my life.

Being raped by a male (whether you're a male or female) is awful enough, if the rapist had a disease, that would be awful ON TOP of having been raped.

Being raped by a woman just isn't the same thing. I think deep down, most people know that which is why it isn't so exhaustively investigated/charged than male rape.
Reply 101
Original post by Steezy
I would care greatly if I got raped by a man, but being raped by a woman just isn't the same thing.

Being raped by a woman just isn't the same thing. I think deep down, most people know that which is why it isn't so exhaustively investigated/charged than male rape.

It sounds like you have never been raped by either a man or a woman.

In which case, your opinion on the comparison is rather empty.
Original post by Darien
You are wrong.

Under the Sexual Offences Act, penetration has to be with a penis for it to be rape. A woman can shove whatever she likes into a man - or a woman - and it still won't be rape.

'Statutory rape' is an American legal term not applicable to UK law.

In the US you can also be raped with an object I think so that's probably where I was getting confused.
Reply 103
Original post by Darien
It sounds like you have never been raped by either a man or a woman.

In which case, your opinion on the comparison is rather empty.

So have you been raped?
Reply 104
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Sorry mummy. Yes, rape is serious.. I just find it somewhat confusing as men can only get penetrated up their bum and women don't have the appropriate body parts and have (on average) less physical strength.

Lol re calling me mummy, but I don't care because I'm just glad you responded seriously :smile: Confusion is quite legitimate as male rape is still a very taboo subject and is riddled with stigma.

Like a say, if a man is forced to penetrate something/someone, while it does not fit into the legal definition of rape, it is rape. Think about it - if a penis entering a vagina is considered intercourse for the female party, then the entering of the penis is intercourse for, well, the male party. When a man has sex, that's what he does - he penetrates. Thus, if a man is forced to have sex, why should his being forced to penetrate someone else or something else *not* be considered forced intercourse?

I don't know very much about male rape either - I just know it's wrong, and I know more awareness needs to be raised. Female rape survivors go through hell - but at least it's recognised by some and at least there is legal action they could take (even if the justice system is badly flawed in this area). Whereas the male rape survivor is left with nothing, and go through the same hell, with probably double the social stigma because it is socially acceptable for a woman to be overpowered, but it is not socially acceptable for a man to be overpowered. When a man is overpowered, he is mocked. Hence, double the social stigma, I'd imagine.

My impression is there's probably, likely, heavy emotional and mental abuse/manipulation at play for male rape to happen. Somehow, the man feels unable and/or powerless to say no. So though he might be physically strong enough to resist, he is paralysed. I would liken this with women who feel powerless to leave their abusive husbands, for example, or children and university students who go through sexual abuse in the hands of their relatives/friends/tutors. In essence, there're many more things than just physical strength in question.
Original post by redferry
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure if she then penetrated his are with a dildo that would be considered rape?

It would be "assault by penetration", though I support changing the law so that the term rape encompasses assault by penetration.

And a woman can rape a boy in terms of statutory rape?

There is no such term in English law.
Reply 106
Original post by Secretnerd123
Females can rape males you know..
rape just shouldn't happen regardless of which gender is getting raped. I do agree with you in the sense that male rapists are treated far more severely than their female counterparts..

Legally you must use a penis to penetrate another person for it to be rape so women can't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending