The Student Room Group

Am I too fat for my height?

I'm 5'1 - 156 cm.. 16 y old female. My waist size is 27 inches, I wear size 10 jeans and size 8 tops and I'm 60kg.. but my friends who are 165 - 170 cm (5ft4 to 5ft6) weigh the same as me. I've been called fat before, especially when I was much younger and I had an eating disorder and I frequently relapse, it's just triggering to see the numbers that high on the scale in proportion to my height..

Scroll to see replies

If you're not happy, it's better to ask: how can I achieve a weight where I am happy?

If you are happy: stop worrying.
Reply 2
Your BMI is in the healthy range. Don't worry about what your friends weigh in comparison to you - ultimately your health, fitness and weight is what's important, and you're all likely to have different builds, muscle and fat ratio, exercise habits, etc etc.

If you've had an eating disorder and frequently relapse, the most important thing is for you to be a healthy weight for your height, which you are, and eating properly, and exercising healthily if you don't already. :smile:
Original post by wrote
I'm 5'1 - 156 cm.. 16 y old female. My waist size is 27 inches, I wear size 10 jeans and size 8 tops and I'm 60kg.

Yes, you are certainly overweight.
Original post by wrote
I'm 5'1 - 156 cm.. 16 y old female. My waist size is 27 inches, I wear size 10 jeans and size 8 tops and I'm 60kg.. but my friends who are 165 - 170 cm (5ft4 to 5ft6) weigh the same as me. I've been called fat before, especially when I was much younger and I had an eating disorder and I frequently relapse, it's just triggering to see the numbers that high on the scale in proportion to my height..

Original post by MostUncivilised

This. Stop eating junk food and eat healthy fruit and vegetables instead. The thing with fruit and veg is that you can have as much as you want and not be fat. If you don't believe me look up a guy called "durian ryder".

But lay off the junk food.
Reply 5
I'm 58kg and i'm 5ft7...
Original post by MostUncivilised

Bit harsh; her BMI is 25, that's only on the threshold between overweight and normal weight. BMI isn't very reliable, either, with teenagers. Moreover, "overweight" just means weighing more than expected for your height and sex, it isn't an intrinsically unhealthy thing - some people actually are big-boned. :tongue:
Original post by StrangeBanana
Bit harsh; her BMI is 25, that's only on the threshold between overweight and normal weight

She's certainly outside the norm in the up direction.

Moreover, "overweight" just means weighing more than expected for your height and sex

And I said she's overweight. I didn't go and call her a fatty boombalatta or a salad dodger, I simply stated it as the science calls it. NHS would say she's "at-risk" due to her weight.
Reply 8
Original post by StrangeBanana
Bit harsh; her BMI is 25, that's only on the threshold between overweight and normal weight. BMI isn't very reliable, either, with teenagers. Moreover, "overweight" just means weighing more than expected for your height and sex, it isn't an intrinsically unhealthy thing - some people actually are big-boned. :tongue:

People aren't "big boned" to that extent. If she is overweight, there is no point ignoring it, else it could become even worse.

To put it into perspective, I am a 5'10" (177.8 cm) male, with a 31 inch (78.7 cm) waist, and I weigh 10st 3lbs (65 kg).

Also, BMI becomes unreliable when people have a high portion of muscle accounting towards their weight. If the OP is not particularly sporting or active, there is nothing to suggest she has muscles which will skew BMI enough to be unreliable.
Original post by Choppie
If she is overweight, there is no point ignoring it, else it could become even worse.

I didn't say she should ignore it, just pointing out a fact.
Original post by wrote

Yes you are overweight, very over weight. May i ask how many times a day do you eat?
Reply 11
Original post by Choppie
People aren't "big boned" to that extent. If she is overweight, there is no point ignoring it, else it could become even worse.

To put it into perspective, I am a 5'10" (177.8 cm) male, with a 31 inch (78.7 cm) waist, and I weigh 10st 3lbs (65 kg).

Also, BMI becomes unreliable when people have a high portion of muscle accounting towards their weight. If the OP is not particularly sporting or active, there is nothing to suggest she has muscles which will skew BMI enough to be unreliable.

I wouldn't say I'm big boned at all. I do have a high portion of muscle and am involved in a lot of sporting activity.
I don't bother with BMI I know it's untrustworthy - but I do think I will follow a diet plan because my diet is terrible. I don't eat too much but when I do it's just junk food :eek:
Reply 12
Just upload a pic next time, much easier, we can't be asked to work with stats!
Original post by wrote

I don't bother with BMI I know it's untrustworthy - but I do think I will follow a diet plan because my diet is terrible. I don't eat too much but when I do it's just junk food :eek:

You really need to lay off the junk food, that's probably what's causing your present predicament. It's also often filled with unhelpful chemicals and suchlike.
I didn't think I was too overweight, but judging by this thread I am :frown: (I have similar stats to the OP)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Odd socks
I didn't think I was too overweight, but judging by this thread I am :frown: (I have similar stats to the OP)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you were comfortable with your weight before reading this post, please don't feel discouraged. Everybody's body composition is different and it may be the case that you're big boned and/or have a high portion of muscle (read the above posts) :redface:
Original post by wrote
If you were comfortable with your weight before reading this post, please don't feel discouraged. Everybody's body composition is different and it may be the case that you're big boned and/or have a high portion of muscle (read the above posts) :redface:

Well no, I've never been comfortable with my weight, it's always been something I've struggled with :redface: I'm not big boned or muscly :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Choppie

I'm 5'10", with a 30-inch waist and weigh 11st 6lbs. I presume that you lead a sedentary lifestyle, or else I've somehow spent six months in the same suspension tank as Wolverine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by wrote

Based just on the 27 waist i'd say you're a very good figure. You're a healthy weight and a decent size. I'm shocked by anyone calling you fat if you're a size 8 and 10.
Sounds like it's in your head more than anything.

Remember your weight and figure will still be shifting around your age too so it's normal for you to be a bit of an odd weight or size compared to your height.

I wouuld say you have nothing to worry about. Making a very broad assumption i'd guess your insecure from when you were younger (and possibly a bit heavier). Since you've mentioned an ED i'd guess you're normally quite preocupied by your weight. Me saying anything to the contrary probably won't help all that much in that case. Try challenging the ED/ preocupation on weight with therapy or something? To me it sounds like that's your real issue.

Try to ignore what people may say negative about you. And focus on what feels good to you and what's healthy. :h:ugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pfft, forget the thread. Firstly, people are always v harsh to each other about weight on internet forums. Secondly, people look very different with the same stats. In fact, people are different full stop. Some are naturally skinny, some are naturally chubby, and there is lots of in between. If you are eating a good balance of different foods, leading a reasonably active lifestyle and maintaining roughly the same weight/size whilst doing so, you're fine. If however you only weigh X kg if you eat like 1200 calories a day / if you've recently gained 10kg because you've been eating lots and lots of chocolate or something, then yeah, maybe something's not right

Quick Reply

Latest