The Student Room Group

Constant feeling of dread and hopelessness

I am in my mid teens now and it started a couple of years ago when I went to a place where a tsunami had taken place. I got all jittery, couldn't sleep, I even woke up and thought the closed curtains were a wave coming at us. Then I cam back here and while I was relieved I got sad and depressed. It finished after about a month. Then, we started learning about supervolcanoes and I was constantly nervous all over again, I had to sleep in my parents room and cuddle up to my mum for about 2 or 3 months. I had therapy twice but it didn't last very long and I wouldn't say anything useful to the people listening. It came back again a couple of weeks ago. Now, it's not only at night but all the time I feel worried. The wind outside seems to get worse every year and I think that's because it is actually getting worse. The constant rain worries me. I feel like something could happen like a tidal wave (I live 30 mins from the sea) or a the Yellowstone volcano will erupt or global warming will slowly kill us all. I will hyperventilate and have panic attacks frequently. I cant sleep either and constantly wake up. I basically have a feeling of impending doom or hopelessness all the time. My father is a GP and he said depression and anxiety attacks are common in high achievers and wants to know what he can do to help me but I cant find the words to say I am now worried this will affect how I do in my gcses too.
Reply 1
Your father is correct in saying depression and anxiety, but ideally you need to get to the root of the issue. I believe that it could be that you have witnessed something and it is playing on your mind. From what you have said I would say that you may be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) which is causing the anxieties and low mood. However, it would be advisable to go and see a mental health professional, as GP's although they are highly trained, they often have very brief knowledge within mental health.
However, something you have to remember is that we all become anxious during our GCSE's as it is such a big event in your life.
But seek a mental health professionals life. Don't lose hope :smile: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest