The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't want Gary Neville anywhere near the decision making process for a manager of now or the future for that matter. This is in reaction to him saying we should keep it British. Some of the nonsense he was coming out with on MNF last night is the very reason this club is in the position it's in - sentiment. Whether it's refusing to pay over the odds for players, changing manager so as to keep it "British" or replacing players (not replacing Ronaldo and CM), Utd in recent years are letting romanticism and tradition run the club rather than rational thought. We have to adapt to the modern game, and stop this nonsense about the "United Way". It's quite frankly arrogant and will eventually ruin this club.

Giggs should not be the next manager of Utd. People comparing Giggs to Simeone and Pep. It's not the same. The latter two both had experience managing teams, albeit smaller ones (Pep with the Barca B team). We should have a guy that comes in for the short term, attracts players and leaves the club so a younger manager i.e a Giggs with experience can take over the reins. Romanticism got a slap in the face with Moyes as far as I'm concerned.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
i wouldn't bother with the WC for shaw.
we say what happened with walcott - everybody hyped him up, he went to the WC and didn't play a minute.

Theo Walcott was a 16 year old boy still doing his GCSE's, who had played about 5 games of competitive football in the second tier. Luke Shaw has played virtually two full seasons in the Premier League, is already one of the best LB's in the division and has just been named in the PFA Team of the Year.

Why on earth are you comparing the two?
Original post by jam277
x

You're probable right in that respect, however this season, all I think is why are we building around Rooney?

He has had a few amazing moments like against west ham, but he has been far from impressive in general.
If he doesn't fit a formation that matches the other 10 players well, just have the guts to drop him until he can adapt.

Let's face it, getting out of group stages would be a good result - we aren't exactly gonna go too far
We don't have a good enough manager and we don't have a good enough team chemistry

Maybe more Liverpool players will help the chemistry though (Sturridge/Gerrard/sterling/Johnson/henderson)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Theo Walcott was a 16 year old boy still doing his GCSE's, who had played about 5 games of competitive football in the second tier. Luke Shaw has played virtually two full seasons in the Premier League, is already one of the best LB's in the division and has just been named in the PFA Team of the Year.

I'm not comparing their experience and obviously clear quality difference.
I'm comparing the circumstances - young kid gets vast media attention, maybe picked for world cup

I haven't seen enough of him on a consistent, high level to be confident of putting such relative inexperience in an England World Cup XI, as opposed to baines or cole

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shaw - in PFA team of the year, generally considered to have been one of the star players in the league this season.

OR

Cole - barely got in to the Chelsea team despite his main competition being a Right Back.

apparently this is a tough decision for some England fans, and they wonder why we never win anything :rolleyes:
Original post by sr90

If talking the time of the WC, Walcott is four years younger than me, so 17 and did his GCSEs in 2005 (I did mine in 2001). He had twenty odd Championship apps for Southamtpon. Still a year younger than Shaw, though, and certainly less experienced in terms of PL apps so the point still largely stands.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9886
Jan Aage Fjortoft @JanAageFjortoft 2 mins
Dutch insider: Main- targets for van Gaal: Kevin Strootman, Roma and Tony Kroos, Bayern Munich.#MUFC
Strootman and Kroos would be an immense pairing in midfield :coma:
This guy knows who he already wants to sign. Good. Honestly hope Van Gaal's at the helm come the new season.
Original post by cost
Jan Aage Fjortoft @JanAageFjortoft 2 mins
Dutch insider: Main- targets for van Gaal: Kevin Strootman, Roma and Tony Kroos, Bayern Munich.#MUFC

Slightly excited except we have no chance in signing both Strootman and Kroos. Well maybe the former is a 60% chance but Roma will make us pay a **** load of money

Original post by SciFiRory
Strootman and Kroos would be an immense pairing in midfield :coma:

:coma: :coma: :coma: :coma:

Original post by Over2you
This guy knows who he already wants to sign. Good. Honestly hope Van Gaal's at the helm come the new season.

I really think its a done deal, I mean every newspaper is saying it. Great manager and just the type to give a kick up the backsides of the players who have let us down. Hopefully Giggs learns off him and becomes manager after 3/4 seasons then we look ahead to another 20 years of dominance :coma:
(edited 9 years ago)
On sr90's orders...

Spoiler

Wth. Strootman is just coming back from major surgery. Just what we need.
Sorry if this has already been discussed (didn't read too far back) but what are the chances of Klopp getting the job do you think? I know he said he's committed to Dortmund but I sort of read it as a "come and get me" sort of statement. I wanted Klopp to get the job the moment Fergie stepped down, he just seems like the perfect man for the job, although all signs seem to be pointing to Van Gaal atm
Seeing as you've all hopped over to the new thread early, I don't see the harm in closing this one slightly earlier. Any quotes or discussions, feel free to take over to the new threads obvs.

Link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2662758

:manutd:

Latest