The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kartace
Ummm...yeah sounds good i guess?

How much dental shadowing?
What did you learn from it?
Why the anaesthetics dept?

The grades look decent - the UKCAT is important obviously.

I'm not sure what else to say about it really? Maybe get some more dental shadowing organised, have you actually done any yet? If not then you could be in a bit of trouble.

Did my ukcat today. Got an average of 575 which isnt great at all so I'm considering Biochemistry courses that dont require Biology at A2. Opting for dentistry after that hopefully. Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Noel_long
Hey, thanks for creating this thread! I am hopefully going to be applying for Dentistry this year, my stats are as followed:

GCSES- 11A*s
AS- 4 As
A2 Predictions- A*A*A
UKCAT- 650 (not amazing, but not terrible)
As for work experience, I have completed 3 weeks in 2 different GDPS, several days at an Orthodontist, and two days in a Maxillofacial ward.

From your judgement, do you think I have a reasonable chance of getting an interview at QM? Understandably it depends on the cohort, but if you could offer any advice/opinions, that would be great.

I really don't want this thread to turn into a "will i? won't i? get in to dentistry" thread, but i'll give you the facts as i see them:

You have grades that meet the requirements and you have completed the required amount of work experience. Without looking at your personal statement that should reflect upon your work experience and give a deeper insight to your motivations and knowledge or interviewing you i really can't say that you have any more of a chance than anyone else who meets the entry requirements. You definitely have a much better chance than someone who doesn't meet the requirements.

The UKCAT is...as you say, decent. I think your GCSEs may bolster your UKCAT score with other university applications slightly but Barts don't really care about GCSEs from my experience as an interview panelist. There is usually a UKCAT cutoff score that changes each year depending upon the scores of the applicants. Usually the lowest is around 600-630 i am told.

The best advice i can give is devote a lot of thought to you personal statement, try and emphasise the key qualities that i've mentioned in this thread and reflect effectively upon your volunteering and work experience. That is the best thing you can do to give yourself the best possible chance of interview :smile:

Cheers,
Ryan.
Reply 62
Original post by Sunshine98
Did my ukcat today. Got an average of 575 which isnt great at all so I'm considering Biochemistry courses that dont require Biology at A2. Opting for dentistry after that hopefully. Thanks anyway :smile:

Unlucky! Best of luck in your future career but i think you may struggle to find courses that don't require biology for Biochem! :s
Hi thanks for the reply earlier. One last question , how did you get work experience shadowing a doctor did you email go in person etc..

Thanks
Original post by Kartace
Evidence of manual dexterity is desirable but not essential, it 99% of cases they can actually teach you all of the manual skill you need. I would just mention that you work with computers and that you find the process of being creative and working with small part fulfilling and enjoyable.

As for the UKCAT that's unlucky, i understand that you're upset but don't fret toot much. I got into Barts with 632.5 so it's far from impossible :smile:

Also don't get too hung up on Barts/Kings, yes they're two very good unis (the two best in my biased opinion) but there's lots of other universities that are very good and it'll do you good to get out of London. Don't be one of those people who spends their life living in london, living at home whilst in uni and then working in london. There's much more to the UK, go out...find some independence and experience a different bit of culture. These are just my opinions of course...

4 A's at A level is good but it does nothing for your UKCAT score, everyone will have at least 3 A's predicted or higher tbh. It's much more down to your extracurriculars, work experience and how you do in the interview etc.

As for work experience, i've addressed this elsewhere in this thread a few times so scroll through and find that, but briefly...it's much more important to talk about what you learned rather than what you saw. Talk about the qualities a dentist needs to have and the things that surprised or shocked you etc. As for DoE - that should be self-explanatory to a clever applicant, just talk about team leading, working within a team, communication, problem solving ... all of the obvious things really!

And I'm sorry I didn't get to be your tour guide, maybe i can meet you at the post-offer open day next year!

Ryan.

Thanks for the reply! Also do you think dropping Physics and taking 3 A2 Level's (Maths+Chem+Bio) will be fine with the UKCAT average score I got? Also do they look at individual sections as I did well in two sections and bad in the other two but my average was 630. It's good to hear you got 632.5 - I now know that not everyone that gets in got crazy high scores lol. Did you do three A2 levels or 4? What grades?

Also I would just love to get an interview, I think if I could get an interview it would be fine for me since from then I can just practice that and not need to do more exams etc. I am not sure whether to drop Physics still only because my low UKCAT score and maybe needing more UCAS tarrif points then.

Also I don't like these two unis just because they're in London, but because I genuinely think I would love to study there rather than elsewhere.

Thanks for the answers, and I really hope you are my tour guide next haha.

I know you get so many application questions, so here's one that isn't : What societies are you part of if I may know? :biggrin:

Also do you guys have the dinners together that is mentioned quite a lot in the Dent open days for QMUL? And do you guys do a lot of things together? haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kartace
Unlucky! Best of luck in your future career but i think you may struggle to find courses that don't require biology for Biochem! :s

Found quite a few actually! Nearly 7
How do you get over looking a people's mouths?
Reply 67
Original post by *Thedreaming*
How do you get over looking a people's mouths?

Honestly...it really doesn't bother me that much, never has. It's no different to looking at any other diseased part of the body. What i see when i see a filthy mouth is a person in need of my help and my mind immediately springs into action thinking about how i can improve things for them, we all know how debilitating tooth pain can be. You're always wearing a mask and goggles/gloves with lots of other protective equipment too, although having said this some mouths are a little gross, but it's part of the job.

There are also many jobs which are arguably worse - colorectal surgeon, gynecologist, binman, pathologist, sewer working, working a mind numbing unfulfilling job etc... to name but a few.

In short, it's a good job which is fulfilling, mentally stimulating, creative and well paid. I don't see any real issue with it :smile:

Ryan.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Sunshine98
Found quite a few actually! Nearly 7

You learn something new everyday, apparently you don't need biology to study a biological course! :tongue:
Has anyone's breath nearly killed you?

Thanks for your reply btw.
Original post by Kartace
The title says it all, ask me any and all questions you want, related to dentistry, admission, university, life, myself or otherwise. Quote me for response.

What activities/extra-curriculars do you participate in during uni to boost your CV up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
How many hours per day did you have to do during your work experience in the practitioner's/dental lab?
Do any students have part time jobs?

Thanks for answering!
Reply 72
Original post by *Thedreaming*
Has anyone's breath nearly killed you?

Thanks for your reply btw.

A few have come perilously close i must be honest. It's a little sad when you can tell the difference between the smell of plaque, periodontal disease and endondontic infection... :s
What is Barts like? And what is the student population at Barts like?
Reply 74
Original post by Gabriellameow
What activities/extra-curriculars do you participate in during uni to boost your CV up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, so I'm quite lucky in that I've been involved in quite a lot of stuff since starting at Barts.

I enter quite a lot of dental competitions and I've been lucky enough to win a couple. In my first year I had an all expenses paid trip up to glasgow to present at an oral medicine conference and I've won some cash prizes besides that as well. Barts has a clinical research group which i'm a member of too.

I also was the treasurer and subsequently the president of the maxillofacial surgery society at Barts.

I'm a member of the orchestra and choir and perform at all the concerts, I also do a lot of music outside of uni and I've played concerts in cadogan hall, the Royal albert hall, the royal festival hall and the barbican. (music is a big part of my life!!) in first year i was a rower, in the second year i played squash but more recently i've found that my wednesday afternoons are always too busy for sport unfortunately.

I also work in two paid roles - as a student ambassador for QMUL (helping at open days, sitting on interview panels, leading campus tours, going out to schools to give talks etc.) and i work as a PASS student organiser - PASS stands for Peer Assisted Study Support and we essentially support the lower years and mentor them through their lectures. These are both great roles that have given me some vital skills and taught me a lot about working with people.

I volunteer and find this really fulfilling, Barts have a long history of RAG and are very successful at it.

Ryan.
Reply 75
Original post by lolahaze
How many hours per day did you have to do during your work experience in the practitioner's/dental lab?
Do any students have part time jobs?

Thanks for answering!

I did the standard working day when i did my work experience so: 9am - 5pm

I have 2 part time jobs and had 3 at one point last year. It is possible but you have to squeeze it in. Most people don't have part time jobs on average, dentistry is a difficult and time consuming degree.
Original post by Kartace
Hey there, so I'm quite lucky in that I've been involved in quite a lot of stuff since starting at Barts.

I enter quite a lot of dental competitions and I've been lucky enough to win a couple. In my first year I had an all expenses paid trip up to glasgow to present at an oral medicine conference and I've won some cash prizes besides that as well. Barts has a clinical research group which i'm a member of too.

I also was the treasurer and subsequently the president of the maxillofacial surgery society at Barts.

I'm a member of the orchestra and choir and perform at all the concerts, I also do a lot of music outside of uni and I've played concerts in cadogan hall, the Royal albert hall, the royal festival hall and the barbican. (music is a big part of my life!!) in first year i was a rower, in the second year i played squash but more recently i've found that my wednesday afternoons are always too busy for sport unfortunately.

I also work in two paid roles - as a student ambassador for QMUL (helping at open days, sitting on interview panels, leading campus tours, going out to schools to give talks etc.) and i work as a PASS student organiser - PASS stands for Peer Assisted Study Support and we essentially support the lower years and mentor them through their lectures. These are both great roles that have given me some vital skills and taught me a lot about working with people.

I volunteer and find this really fulfilling, Barts have a long history of RAG and are very successful at it.

Ryan.

Could you explain what you do in these dental competitions?
Reply 77
Original post by T.Stroodle
Could you explain what you do in these dental competitions?

It's a bit of a mixed bag really, most are essay competitions with a set topic to write about. Usually a few thousand words.

Some involve a case presentation of a patient and treatment.

Others involve presenting research or abstracts and participating in a viva/poster presentation.

A couple are purely a viva (where a panel asks you questions)

There are loads of them out there if you know where to look :smile:

Ryan.
Reply 78
Original post by tootles44
What is Barts like? And what is the student population at Barts like?

Hey there,

Barts is pretty awesome, I really love studying here and I'd recommend it to anyone. We have a relatively small year group of around 78 students. This is pretty good and I know the names of everyone in our year which is really nice and gives the whole place a family feel. The demographic for most yerars is mainly indian/bengali/pakistani but it's a really eclectic group of people and I love the diversity that we have.

The university itself is amazing, we have a brand new curriculum and a brand new dental hospital which is absolutely state of the art, there's no nicer dental hospital currently in the country and i'm sure of that. The equipment we have is all cutting edge too. The patient population is also very interesting and diverse, you get to see some really special cases, things you're unlikely to see elsewhere, lots of pann related pathology, oral cancer etc. You'll also get great oral surgery experience as there's a large treatment need in the local populus.

The student population is basically all medics and dentists at barts because we're on the Whitechapel campus whereas the other students are all down at mile end. However, it really is up to you whether you choose to mix with them or not. There are plenty of clubs and societies etc.

That's it at a general look, if you have questions about anything specific then feel free to ask :smile:

Ryan.
@Kartace I had horrible teeth before, they were really wonky (one was just below my nose lol), so I wore retainers, normal braces and removal braces. I've had a massive improvement but my tooth is still higher than my left front tooth, and it sticks out so when I smile on one side I look like a donkey (I'm not exaggerating). My dentist just left me saying "done now! wear these braces every night, bye!". She didn't even tell me how long I should wear it, she just stopped treating me abruptly. I'm so angry I have no contact with her anymore. Can my teeth ever be straight properly? The problem is is that there's a tooth right behind/next to my right front tooth, preventing it to push back in, and they removed my right molar so I thought my teeth would shift and go into the gap, leaving space for my front tooth to adjust in its place, is that possible? Please tell me :frown: I really want straight teeth.

Latest