The Student Room Group

Geography at uni compared to A-Level?

Hi, I'm currently in year 13 and have applied to study physical geography next year at uni, however at the moment at college i'm really not enjoying geography.. we do edexcel so its an exam and then unit 4 which is a 70 mark research report written in 1hr 30, and i'm doing the tectonics option. Can anybody give me any information on what geography is like at uni? is it still learning about loads of case studies and 'jumping through hoops' to get the marks? and how much practical work do you get to do?
I don't want to get to uni to find its the pretty much the same as what I'm doing now because if it is I can't imagine i'll enjoy it too much!
thanks!
Reply 1
bump?
Reply 2
I study human geography at Northumbria University, however I know alot of people who do Physical Geography. In first year there is a fair amount of practical things I believe especially geology related. And a few IT mapping practicals.
There also a lot of fieldtrips to do practical work throughout the three years.
It's not so much case studies like GCSE and A-level. There is occasionally to link theory to the real world but not in the same way as a-levels..

After first year you can pick most of your modules to suit what you enjoy in your course too.
Hi, I'm a second year going physical geography and also did edexcel at a level. The modules vary slightly between each uni, however at mine, during first and second year there's been a lot of fieldwork and mapping practicals. However, some modules have exams where you will have to learn the case studies, which I found very similar to a level. There are a number of optional modules though so you do get to study what you are really interested in.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending