The Student Room Group

Placement

Do most psychology students apply for placements, or is it more common to have a degree without?

I have no experience and so i've been rejected to my placements. My friends and lots of people in my class have all been accepted to their first choices, so i'm feeling a little low at the moment.

I'm just hoping that you don't need a placement to have a good career after uni.
Original post by snowystarks
Do most psychology students apply for placements, or is it more common to have a degree without?

I have no experience and so i've been rejected to my placements. My friends and lots of people in my class have all been accepted to their first choices, so i'm feeling a little low at the moment.

I'm just hoping that you don't need a placement to have a good career after uni.

What do you mean by placements? Do you mean applying for a psychology degree with some sort of work experience?
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
What do you mean by placements? Do you mean applying for a psychology degree with some sort of work experience?

An extra year of your degree to take part in work experience basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You do need a degree of experience yes. But only a handful of uni's offer a placement year so obviously it's not essential.

Are you at Cardiff out of interest? If you really would like to have a placement, don't give up, keep looking around.
Original post by snowystarks

You don't need a placement year. The only advantage I can think of is that many universities have good links to psychology-related job placements. Otherwise you can just organise your own "placement" after you graduate.

That being said, it DOES take an extra year of your time away. If you don't know what you want to do when you leave uni it could just be a waste of time if you don't get a good placement. There would be no difference between two applicants if one did a normal degree then spent a year doing some placement rather than a 4 year course where you do the placement in the middle.

Quick Reply

Latest