The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Soas applicants 2014 facebook thread

Not long ago I got accepted into BA Japanese for this year at SOAS

I don't know about you lot, but the prospect of moving away from my family home in Cornwall to Greater London is starting to get pretty daunting! Others must be in the same boat?

I thought we might all post in here if we're planning on going to SOAS this year and could become friends on Facebook :smile:

So, what are you going to be studying? Where are you from? Let's make some friends :3

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I just accepted an offer for Japanese at SOAS too :smile: I've been trying to get onto the course for a few years so I'm really excited to have finally been accepted! Are you starting as a beginner?

I'm a little scared about moving away from home, as homesickness was the reason I dropped out of my previous university (in Fresher's Week! lol) but I've matured a lot since then & London is practically my second home nowadays. Also I only live about an hour away on the train so it's not far to go if I do need to pop home!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by electroviolet
Hey, I just accepted an offer for Japanese at SOAS too :smile: I've been trying to get onto the course for a few years so I'm really excited to have finally been accepted! Are you starting as a beginner?

I'm a little scared about moving away from home, as homesickness was the reason I dropped out of my previous university (in Fresher's Week! lol) but I've matured a lot since then & London is practically my second home nowadays. Also I only live about an hour away on the train so it's not far to go if I do need to pop home!

Hi there! Congratulations on being accepted. I can empathise with feeling homesick, I'm a bit like that. Are you going to move into Halls? I'm a bit worried about money, I don't get a maintenance grant or anything because my parents earn a fair amount, so I'll have to get a job while I'm up there to afford stuff. I really hope I'll be able to study and work at the same time :frown:

I'll start as a beginner, I can speak decent Japanese, I was taught in Australia where I grew up and I am self taught to an extent, but nothing amazing. Howabout you?
Original post by sukotodan
Hi there! Congratulations on being accepted. I can empathise with feeling homesick, I'm a bit like that. Are you going to move into Halls? I'm a bit worried about money, I don't get a maintenance grant or anything because my parents earn a fair amount, so I'll have to get a job while I'm up there to afford stuff. I really hope I'll be able to study and work at the same time :frown:

I'll start as a beginner, I can speak decent Japanese, I was taught in Australia where I grew up and I am self taught to an extent, but nothing amazing. Howabout you?

Thanks, congrats to you too :biggrin: I think everyone will start out homesick, but you have to just ride it out & try to do lots of fun things to counteract it! After a few years of working and travelling (often independently), I feel like I'm going to be much better this time. I also have several friends that live in London :smile:

Yes, I'm hoping to live at Dinwiddy as it's the cheapest so it's the only one I can afford. It's also self-catering with an en-suite, which is a bonus! I should get the grant because me & my mum are on a really low income, but I'm trying to save up a bit each month before September because I worry about money too :s I've heard that the course is pretty intensive so I want to focus all my energy on it (& also I've been working for the last 6 years & it sucks, lol).

I'm going to start as a beginner too :^_^: I've been teaching myself independently but I'd rather start the course right from the beginning with the teachers, if you know what I mean?

I'm Nicola btw :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks, congrats to you too :biggrin: I think everyone will start out homesick, but you have to just ride it out & try to do lots of fun things to counteract it! After a few years of working and travelling (often independently), I feel like I'm going to be much better this time. I also have several friends that live in London :smile:

Yes, I'm hoping to live at Dinwiddy as it's the cheapest so it's the only one I can afford. It's also self-catering with an en-suite, which is a bonus! I should get the grant because me & my mum are on a really low income, but I'm trying to save up a bit each month before September because I worry about money too :s I've heard that the course is pretty intensive so I want to focus all my energy on it (& also I've been working for the last 6 years & it sucks, lol).

I'm going to start as a beginner too :^_^: I've been teaching myself independently but I'd rather start the course right from the beginning with the teachers, if you know what I mean?

I'm Nicola btw :smile:

Yeah I totally understand about starting at the beginning, I especially want to iron out any bad habits or misconceptions I might have with regards to language as I'm sure there are a few hahaha. How old are you now? I'll be 20 when I start as I took 2 years out before starting college. (I'm in my final year now)

I've heard it's very intensive, I got offers from East Anglia and Oxford Brookes too for Japanese, and the courses sound a lot easier in all honesty...the modules are even about anime and pop culture; i do wonder how useful things like that are. SOAS is where I really want to go, I just hope I can keep up with the workload, I'm Dan. Hajimema****e :smile:

Do you have Facebook?
Original post by sukotodan
Yeah I totally understand about starting at the beginning, I especially want to iron out any bad habits or misconceptions I might have with regards to language as I'm sure there are a few hahaha. How old are you now? I'll be 20 when I start as I took 2 years out before starting college. (I'm in my final year now)

I've heard it's very intensive, I got offers from East Anglia and Oxford Brookes too for Japanese, and the courses sound a lot easier in all honesty...the modules are even about anime and pop culture; i do wonder how useful things like that are. SOAS is where I really want to go, I just hope I can keep up with the workload, I'm Dan. Hajimema****e :smile:

Do you have Facebook?

Hajimema****e Dan!

Yes, that's exactly what I mean :smile: I also don't feel confident enough to be in an 'advanced' class!

I'm 25, but I don't feel it at all, haha. I think being older is actually an advantage because you know what you want to achieve and you have more determination.

I got an offer from Oxford Brookes a few years back too, but I chose Manchester instead because the course seemed of a higher quality. The only reason I didn't apply to SOAS then was because I wanted to do a joint BA in French & Japanese. But I honestly think SOAS is the best uni for Japanese - although I enjoy pop culture, I'm not sure I want to focus on it in my studies. I've also visited SOAS a few times & I really like that it's a small uni with a community feel :smile: I'm basically in love with it so much that it's my only UCAS choice, lol.

As long as you have the determination, you'll be fine :smile: if you do get a job, as long as you work really hard on your homework on non-work days, I'm sure you'll be okay!

Yeah, it's facebook.com/electroviolet - I totally look like a poseur in my profile pic, haha :s
lol, I thought you had bleeped out the word but it did it to mine too!
Reply 7
Hajimema****e Dan!

Yes, that's exactly what I mean :smile: I also don't feel confident enough to be in an 'advanced' class!

I'm 25, but I don't feel it at all, haha. I think being older is actually an advantage because you know what you want to achieve and you have more determination.

I got an offer from Oxford Brookes a few years back too, but I chose Manchester instead because the course seemed of a higher quality. The only reason I didn't apply to SOAS then was because I wanted to do a joint BA in French & Japanese. But I honestly think SOAS is the best uni for Japanese - although I enjoy pop culture, I'm not sure I want to focus on it in my studies. I've also visited SOAS a few times & I really like that it's a small uni with a community feel :smile: I'm basically in love with it so much that it's my only UCAS choice, lol.

As long as you have the determination, you'll be fine :smile: if you do get a job, as long as you work really hard on your homework on non-work days, I'm sure you'll be okay!

Yeah, it's facebook.com/electroviolet - I totally look like a poseur in my profile pic, haha :s

Hi!!
I'm accepting my place at SOAS to do Japanese starting 2014! I'ts interesting to hear what you have to say about Manchester as I've also got an offer from them! But i'm not going to accept it as SOAS just seemed the better Uni for Japanese. However, i'm scared about moving to London as I'm moving all the way from a small town just outside Edinburgh, and I feel really your compared to allot of the older applicants that I've been talking to!
It'll be nice to get to know some more people before I go down :smile:
Original post by Yewen
Hi!!
I'm accepting my place at SOAS to do Japanese starting 2014! I'ts interesting to hear what you have to say about Manchester as I've also got an offer from them! But i'm not going to accept it as SOAS just seemed the better Uni for Japanese. However, i'm scared about moving to London as I'm moving all the way from a small town just outside Edinburgh, and I feel really your compared to allot of the older applicants that I've been talking to!
It'll be nice to get to know some more people before I go down :smile:

Hey :smile:

Yeah, I chose Manchester but only went for Fresher's Week & didn't like the accommodation so I left, lol. But I was also young for my age & had anxiety/homesickness issues - the University itself seemed nice.

Have you been to London much? Luckily because I live quite near to it, I visit it often & know my way around. It's also taken me a few years to build up my self-confidence (working with the public has helped a lot) & now I can't wait to live away from home! I think it's really hard for people like me who are shy/self-conscious to move somewhere new - don't worry, you'll settle in after a while :smile:

Are you starting in the elementary Japanese course like me & Dan? Feel free to add me on FB :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Hey :smile:

Yeah, I chose Manchester but only went for Fresher's Week & didn't like the accommodation so I left, lol. But I was also young for my age & had anxiety/homesickness issues - the University itself seemed nice.

Have you been to London much? Luckily because I live quite near to it, I visit it often & know my way around. It's also taken me a few years to build up my self-confidence (working with the public has helped a lot) & now I can't wait to live away from home! I think it's really hard for people like me who are shy/self-conscious to move somewhere new - don't worry, you'll settle in after a while :smile:

Are you starting in the elementary Japanese course like me & Dan? Feel free to add me on FB :smile:

I've only been to London twice in my life! i'm actually just back from a weekend there! I love it, but it's so big and far away! I'm very excited about moving though, it's going to be such an adventure.
Yes I'm starting as a complete beginner, so i'll be on the same course as you :smile:
Original post by Yewen
I've only been to London twice in my life! i'm actually just back from a weekend there! I love it, but it's so big and far away! I'm very excited about moving though, it's going to be such an adventure.
Yes I'm starting as a complete beginner, so i'll be on the same course as you :smile:

At least you've been so you know what to expect :smile: I love it, I can't wait to live there!
Yay, hopefully we'll be in the same group then :biggrin:

Have you guys had the email about the insight day? I tried to register for it but it wouldn't work for me :s
Reply 11
At least you've been so you know what to expect :smile: I love it, I can't wait to live there!
Yay, hopefully we'll be in the same group then :biggrin:

Have you guys had the email about the insight day? I tried to register for it but it wouldn't work for me :s

I can't wait to live there either! We should be, it'll be nice to have some people that I know in the lectures with me!:biggrin:
Original post by Yewen
I can't wait to live there either! We should be, it'll be nice to have some people that I know in the lectures with me!:biggrin:

yes! :nyan:
Applying for an MA in History (with a focus on Middle Eastern and Islamic History). Am I in the right thread?
Original post by The Owl of Minerva
Applying for an MA in History (with a focus on Middle Eastern and Islamic History). Am I in the right thread?

yes, I think this is just a thread for anyone who'll be new at SOAS. Hi :smile:
yes, I think this is just a thread for anyone who'll be new at SOAS. Hi :smile:

Hello electroviolet :smile: I can see from your posts that you are going for Japanese Studies. Sounds super cool. You know I almost committed myself towards going to grad school specializing in Tokugawa Japan. Its an amazing area to be studying!
Hello electroviolet :smile: I can see from your posts that you are going for Japanese Studies. Sounds super cool. You know I almost committed myself towards going to grad school specializing in Tokugawa Japan. Its an amazing area to be studying!

Hey... Minerva? :biggrin: my name's Nicola :h:

Yes, I can't wait to start it! Wow, what is your first degree in? I'm guessing history - I must admit my history knowledge is rubbish, but I'm very interested in the social/cultural aspects of Japan :yep:
Hey... Minerva? :biggrin: my name's Nicola :h:

Yes, I can't wait to start it! Wow, what is your first degree in? I'm guessing history - I must admit my history knowledge is rubbish, but I'm very interested in the social/cultural aspects of Japan :yep:

Yes, it was in history. I am a massive history nerd.

And judging by your interests, SOAS is the ideal place.

London living costs though are crazy. I am looking at a year or two of pot noodles!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello, guys!

Applied for Japanese T210 myself.

I would like to ask, if someone faced the same problem or knows how to solve this, but I got a letter from SOAS asking for confirmation that I'm studying year 1. :| And the problem is, that I haven't entered university yet. Is it some misunderstanding?
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, it was in history. I am a massive history nerd.

And judging by your interests, SOAS is the ideal place.

London living costs though are crazy. I am looking at a year or two of pot noodles!

Ah, coolness.

Yes, we're all going to be so broke! Luckily I'm used to living on noodles, rice, etc :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending