The Student Room Group

London Academy of Excellence

Can any current students tell me more about LAE? The teachers, the builing etx will be much appreciated and can you tell me about the assessment day ? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In my opinion it's a very independent in the sense that you're expected to do a lot of work yourself l. You're not spoon fed but it's supportive in the sense that there are regular checks to make sure you're on track, they will chase up your homework or 'prep' as well call it. They will be checking you're progressing adequately and you're revising and completing any outside learning that you're supposed to. I think across the school departments you get a different experience but mostly the teachers are very very good and mostly experienced. I have yet to come across a bad teacher, there are obviously some teachers that have their problems but none that are outright bad. You won't find major disruptions in your classes that'll hinder your learning. The buildings quite small and you'll find that unless it's a lab, the classrooms are rarely locked so during break you can hang out in there. We have a lunch hall but that tends to get packed so most people just hang out in the classrooms. It's very safe, people leave their things about and I haven't heard of theft so far. In fact my friend left her phone in the toilet the other day and went back 30 minutes later to it still there. The assessment day is very relaxed and an opportunity to find out more about LAE. The assessment itself doesn't have a LARGE impact on your application but it has some, overall don't be too worried about it it's kinda like a verbal reasoning test. The interview is very relaxed as well teachers give you helpful prompts and generally just ask you about yourself it's not daunting whatsoever.
Hope this was helpful
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm so nervous about the assessment day. I'll probably say or do something stupid and embarrass myself. Oh god.
Reply 3
Haha this was my exact feeling. The sixth formers are LOVELY I promise. When I had mine I felt immediately at ease. Plus I'll probably be there as I think we'll get a chance to volunteer to help out :smile:)) everyone will be feeling the same, chances are you won't embarrass yourself, don't worry too much.
Reply 4
I got my assessment day tomorrow, Only worried about the interview and that's it. By the way for the dragon's den activity do we present in front of everyone? I heard you do your presentation in front of the headmaster. Thanks
[Qhaven't ab;46660072]I got my assessment day tomorrow, Only worried about the interview and that's it. By the way for the dragon's den activity do we present in front of everyone? I heard you do your presentation in front of the headmaster. Thanks

I have my assessment day tommorw too at 9. My friends done theirs last week but you do the dragons den activity in front of year 13 students.

I haven't got a photocopy of my report or forecast grades, just the original copies and I don't know what to do. Oh my god, I'm stressing out.
Reply 6
Original post by NumberSevennn
[Qhaven't ab;46660072]I got my assessment day tomorrow, Only worried about the interview and that's it. By the way for the dragon's den activity do we present in front of everyone? I heard you do your presentation in front of the headmaster. Thanks

I have my assessment day tommorw too at 9. My friends done theirs last week but you do the dragons den activity in front of year 13 students.

I haven't got a photocopy of my report or forecast grades, just the original copies and I don't know what to do. Oh my god, I'm stressing out.

I had my assessment day today and it was good. The interview was not THAT stressing, the only hard question was about the school's motto ''what to do when you don't know what to do''. The dragon's den thing was the easier part, you create your own group of 9 and we had to create an educational game for primary school children and then present infront of a panel consisting of 4 sixth formers and 1 teacher (the other groups in the back). Our group (Eton) was the best !

Now I just wait for their reply to see whether I get a conditional offer or not. :rolleyes:
Original post by Altab

I had my assessment day today and it was good. The interview was not THAT stressing, the only hard question was about the school's motto ''what to do when you don't know what to do''. The dragon's den thing was the easier part, you create your own group of 9 and we had to create an educational game for primary school children and then present infront of a panel consisting of 4 sixth formers and 1 teacher (the other groups in the back). Our group (Eton) was the best !

Now I just wait for their reply to see whether I get a conditional offer or not. :rolleyes:

Did you do yours at nine too? Oh my god. Our group was ****. Some guy said we were gonna use cheap labour and decided to price our product £39.99. Oh well. It was fun. I'm just not so sure about if I would accept their offer or not if they gave me one.
Do you guys mind if I join now? xD Today's assessment wasn't that bad tbh although now it is going to be one of the longest months ever . I was in the Brighton group by the way ^^ and the idea wasn't bad but the guy just ruined it while presenting it LOL Were you guys doing your Dragon's Den after the interview in the 14.00 to 16.00 Session? :smile:
Reply 9
I had my session at 11 - 1,
Oh well. LAE isn't really part of my top 3 choices. I guess its different for everyone. For me, although I get A's and A*'s I just felt really uncomfortable there.
Reply 11
Original post by NumberSevennn
Oh well. LAE isn't really part of my top 3 choices. I guess its different for everyone. For me, although I get A's and A*'s I just felt really uncomfortable there.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I was just wondering why though? Don't worry I'm not going to try convince you otherwise I'm just interested in other people's views Loool
I dunno, I spoke to a lot of people and they shared the same view. Its just uncomfortable being there. I dont wanna sound rude so I wont carry on. But there are also some people who would like to go there, the numbers in my school are just not that big. A lot of people wanna get into Brampton and St Angelas in my school.
Reply 13
I agree LAE isn't for everyone. Actually I nearly left at the beginning of term to go to St Angela's but I'm very glad I didn't because I've come to love LAE. Be as rude as you like if it's honest I don't think anyone will take it personally. If you were looking at those two schools i'd definitely choose Brampton since their AS grades look really promising and according to my friends that go there they're also really supportive, the atmosphere will also be one that you'd be used to since I'm assuming you go to school in Newham. I think St Angela's is a bit more social orientated which is fun but won't help you as much with your studies. Just my opinion though. Good luck with your college applications!
Reply 14
LAE is my first choice, I think its really good and all the students I have spoken to I have always got positive feedback but if I dont geti into LE then my backup is Valentines High School (current school). But I think I have a good chance of getting in because all my target aswell as current grades are A's and A*'s..when do we find out if we got our conditional offers or not?
Reply 15
I think you'll find out around late april/early may. I'm glad you like LAE and with those grades you'll definitely get in :smile:
Anyone got offers yet. I got mine last week, I am so happy.
Reply 17
Well done! I'll see you at the induction day!!
Reply 18
Yeah I got in too !! SO happy, just need to work hard to get the required grades, shouldn't be too difficult thought... Good luck with your exams everyone :smile:
Reply 19
Hi
I'm planning on applying to LAE. I'm currently in year 11. I just wanted to know a little bit more about the school. Can you help me please?
Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest