The Student Room Group

The education system: what would you do to change it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The education system is not the root of the problem, it is the culture in Britain. The reason countries like Finland and China are so successful in the education of their youth is the culture there is different. There is more respect for schools and achievement in those countries and this is created by the way the majority of parents have raised their kids. The only way the UK will significantly improve its education of its youth is through better parenting which doesn't rely so much on teachers doing ALL of the teaching and a society which respects schools.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
I would allow more of a space to breathe. I've found myself very crammed into this perfectly manufactured generic box all the way through school and it's frankly stifling. However, the things I would change would probably be impractical for most students, since my #1 problem is that I'm a very independent learner and I perform much better (and quicker) through being given books rather than being formally taught. Not that I'm advising a "SCRAP ALL TEACHERS!" scheme but I just personally wish my days were split into 50% class learning and at least 50% personal learning. It would be nice to cater to specific needs. Like I said, this is obviously not practical with thousands of rowdy children all in one environment. :tongue: I'll definitely prefer university once I go (one and a half years and counting!)

Also, I wish PE was an optional choice. I've not done it in over a year now but it literally had no benefit at all for me. I'm not obese but I reckon this is also the case heightened for obese kids (the ones compulsory PE is seen to "help"). The only thing PE provided me with was an excruciating dose of embarrassment, downright humiliation twice a week, and a resolve to never do sports outside of school because of my developed hatred for it. I don't think discouraging PE is a good idea but the way it is done now is wrong for everyone except those annoyingly sporty and competitive people. It should not feel like torture and should be at the very least similar to other subjects where targets are extremely diverse across abilities rather than these weirdly elitist PE teachers expecting everyone to be as good as the best.

The ideas I'm providing here are all just my own mayfly daydreams, ah! Another thing--I think GCSEs should be done a year or two earlier and there should be a transition step between them and GCEs. The jump is ridiculous.

You know what else is ridiculous? PEER ASSESSING. Please scrap this requirement, o' almighty Ofsted. I'm done; I'm done with this ideas-turned-rant. :biggrin:
In my ideal world:

Being smart would be cool, everyone would actually try!! (in my dreams ikr)

More grammar schools.

PE only required till the end of year 9.

Easier to sit GCSE's not offered by your school in a self study program of some sort.

Teachers stop acting like your parents.

Students who misbehave are actually dealt with rather than being given endless opportunities - make it easier to be expelled from state school.

Push all students to do better not just those on the C boundary.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'd say Languages are one of the hardest a levels but they're easy tbh!

Lol how does that make sense they're the hardest a level but easy?
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Lol how does that make sense they're the hardest a level but easy?

All A levels are easy :lol:

History the hardest I think.
Reply 25
Original post by elephant999
No, this is terrible. This focus on only traditional subjects and culture of top grades being the only important thing fails the majority of the populace who cannot reach such levels. We need a system which caters for everyone. That's why removing resits (which do nothing but fail students, as students are not perfect beings unable to make mistakes. One mistake should not penalise there entire academic career) and creating a greater focus on grammar schools will just result in a disillusioned 80-90% of students, furthering the anti-education culture we have today.

In no way do i limit choice to traditional subjects, beyond the A level and English Bac you can still do what you want. The majority of the student population are capable of achieving a C, 68% did so in 2013. With regards to resits, it is the culture you wish to keep which allowed people like me (fully capable of achieving higher grades) to coast, because their was no negative consequence to not doing so. It will allow teachers to better focus their efforts on the best and brightest and problem children rather than holding people back.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Do you know how hard a language is at a level? I do Spanish currently at A2 and if you get lower than B you'll find it very difficult

That's my point. We know that employers don't believe Maths and English are to a sufficient standard and we know that we also have a shortage of people skilled in the Sciences and Foreign languages. Requiring the student to choose one addresses at least one of these points.

The fact that it is hard is a good thing, it indicates quality.
Reply 27
Original post by helwolf

Also, I wish PE was an optional choice. I've not done it in over a year now but it literally had no benefit at all for me. I'm not obese but I reckon this is also the case heightened for obese kids (the ones compulsory PE is seen to "help"). The only thing PE provided me with was an excruciating dose of embarrassment, downright humiliation twice a week, and a resolve to never do sports outside of school because of my developed hatred for it. I don't think discouraging PE is a good idea but the way it is done now is wrong for everyone except those annoyingly sporty and competitive people. It should not feel like torture and should be at the very least similar to other subjects where targets are extremely diverse across abilities rather than these weirdly elitist PE teachers expecting everyone to be as good as the best.

I can perfectly understand this. I do sport outside of school, but found PE to be the most humiliating and worthless subject. Of course, every school is different. I spent my 4th year PE playing frisbee every period (not even ultimate), then in S5 I didn't attend it once by taking up an Int 1 in Mandarin during PE and my one study period! Wo ai zhong wen <3
Original post by helwolf
I would allow more of a space to breathe. I've found myself very crammed into this perfectly manufactured generic box all the way through school and it's frankly stifling. However, the things I would change would probably be impractical for most students, since my #1 problem is that I'm a very independent learner and I perform much better (and quicker) through being given books rather than being formally taught. Not that I'm advising a "SCRAP ALL TEACHERS!" scheme but I just personally wish my days were split into 50% class learning and at least 50% personal learning. It would be nice to cater to specific needs. Like I said, this is obviously not practical with thousands of rowdy children all in one environment. :tongue: I'll definitely prefer university once I go (one and a half years and counting!)

The ideas I'm providing here are all just my own mayfly daydreams, ah! Another thing--I think GCSEs should be done a year or two earlier and there should be a transition step between them and GCEs. The jump is ridiculous.

You know what else is ridiculous? PEER ASSESSING. Please scrap this requirement, o' almighty Ofsted. I'm done; I'm done with this ideas-turned-rant. :biggrin:

PE isn't just for the obese, you can be thin and unhealthy- you can still have heart problems e.c.t I was terrible at sports- can't always hit the ball playing rounders and I'm terribly slow at running but I still put up with it and never let it embarrass me even when I was so far behind the rest of the class were waiting for me.
Make people want to learn, not have to. I have no idea how that can be achieved.

Oh, and scrap that stupid multicoloured parachute thingy they brought out in PE. What a **** lesson it was when that thing came out.
Original post by Hippysnake
Children to be removed from their parents at age of 4 (until 18) and sent to boarding schools around the country. They would sit daily tests in the major subject areas (Science, Math and English) and they'd be awarded three grades a day. These grades are converted into points.
A=5
B=3
C=1
D= 0

The points are accumulated starting on a Monday and expire on a Sunday. They are exchanged for basic necessities.
Hot breakfast/dinner = 3 points.
Bed for a night = 3 points.
Lunch = 2 points.
Loo visit = 1 point per visit outside of class. 5 for a weekly pass.
15 minute break* = 1 point
Medical Attention = 6 points
Urgent Medical Attention = 0 points, but will cost 1 point per day thereafter for next 30 days.
Phone call = 1 point per 5 minutes.
*up to a max of one hour per day. Can play chess, read classic literature or watch the news.

Penalties-
Not observing mandatory prep work in library between 7pm to 9pm = -3 points.
Lights not out by 9.30pm = -3 points.
Late to lesson = -3 points.
Homework not done well = -1 or -2 points.
Homework not done at all = -3 points.
Not observing Saturday morning prep work = -5 points.
Crying = -1 point per minute of crying
Complaining = -5 points
Caught with alcohol or cigarettes = -10 points
Talking to member of opposite sex = -15 points

What the hell is Michael Gove doing on TSR?
Step #1: Deport Michael Gove
Original post by contradicta
In my ideal world:

Being smart would be cool, everyone would actually try!! (in my dreams ikr)

More grammar schools.

PE only required till the end of year 9.

Easier to sit GCSE's not offered by your school in a self study program of some sort.

Teachers stop acting like your parents.

Students who misbehave are actually dealt with rather than being given endless opportunities - make it easier to be expelled from state school.

Push all students to do better not just those on the C boundary.

+1 (if I could), the first one: 'Being smart would be cool' i'd actually sort of disagree with on the grounds I wouldn't want us to become China which places way too much emphasis on intelligence and it therefore becomes detrimental to health. I'd say we simply need to ensure that people who want to learn do, and those who don't do not.
If somebody is not showing enough interest in education to get a good set of GCSE's at age 16, I would let them defer and go into the workplace, and then have the opportunity to sit their GCSE's once they have been in the real world of minimum wage work and realised the value of education and qualifications.

16 is simply not the right age to take life-defining qualifications for some people. There are so many people in their twenties I know who did poorly in their GCSE's and who would now seize the opportunity if they were able to sit them now because they now have the motivation to do well.
Original post by helwolf

The first paragraph is what happens at Sudbury Valley schools, which are quite popular in the US and on the continent. There are only two schools like that in the UK though!

Actually, I think 100% is personal learning and the teachers are just there to help the kids pursue what they are interested in, when they are asked for. Grades in these places are higher than average too, which is interesting.
Reply 35
Original post by Hippysnake
Children to be removed from their parents at age of 4 (until 18) and sent to boarding schools around the country. They would sit daily tests in the major subject areas (Science, Math and English) and they'd be awarded three grades a day. These grades are converted into points.
A=5
B=3
C=1
D= 0

The points are accumulated starting on a Monday and expire on a Sunday. They are exchanged for basic necessities.
Hot breakfast/dinner = 3 points.
Bed for a night = 3 points.
Lunch = 2 points.
Loo visit = 1 point per visit outside of class. 5 for a weekly pass.
15 minute break* = 1 point
Medical Attention = 6 points
Urgent Medical Attention = 0 points, but will cost 1 point per day thereafter for next 30 days.
Phone call = 1 point per 5 minutes.
*up to a max of one hour per day. Can play chess, read classic literature or watch the news.

Penalties-
Not observing mandatory prep work in library between 7pm to 9pm = -3 points.
Lights not out by 9.30pm = -3 points.
Late to lesson = -3 points.
Homework not done well = -1 or -2 points.
Homework not done at all = -3 points.
Not observing Saturday morning prep work = -5 points.
Crying = -1 point per minute of crying
Complaining = -5 points
Caught with alcohol or cigarettes = -10 points
Talking to member of opposite sex = -15 points

The funny thing is: That's not a bad idea. The current "education system" I feel is really lacking in a drive to learn. In the uk, you'll find very few pupils who actually care about their grades. A system like this would certainly change that :smile:
Reply 36
the root of the problem with the system in the UK is that it caters mainly for average people, and doesn't push the best. This country does great in helping the less academically able people, but, in doing so, it has disadvantaged the best students. I think the focus should be way more on the core principles of a subject, and, for the sciences, the syllabuses should be much more rigorous. Physics in particular should be far more maths based, and maths itself should be more centred around proof and problem solving. the problem is that the subjects have just been watered down so much to help the weaker students, the best in this country are failing to compete with the best in other countries, who are at a much higher level. the subjects should be made more difficult. I also think that many people have forgotten the purpose of school; it's simply to gain an education, and a grade is proof of a certain achievement. However, these days, it seems to be that people think that grades are the purpose of education, and, as a result, exam boards are forced to make their exams easier to improve grades, which defeats the whole purpose of education.
Shoot Michael Gove.
I'd abolish KS1 SATs. I don't think it's right to strain kids at that age.

I'd also make it compulsory for everyone in secondary school to have an hour of grammar a week.

MFL would no longer be compulsory at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
A radical idea, in my opinion, would be to simply remove grades from GCSE's and A levels, and replace them with point rankings, possibly from 0-10, or 0-100. While it may be confusing to begin with, it would stop the problems with appeals and grade boundaries. Also, with a larger range of possible scores, it's easier to compare results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending