The Student Room Group

Should I be extremely worried (very low marks)

Okay so I'm currently studying first year at a uni where the first year counts for 10%

Now all my other modules I seem to be on a 2:1 or high 2:2

However this one module which is maths based, I took 2 tests before january and they accumulate to a worth of 30% on the overall module

my average for the 30% was 38.5...

I can't understand how I did so bad but the fact is I did and it's really put me down.

I'm scared I'm not gonna be able to average a 2:1 overall for the year, I'll need to get like 75 in my final exam to get a 2:1 for this module so that's out the question

but I'm more worried about averaging a 2:1 overall, am I over thinking this or should I be ready to retake a year?
Original post by Itssodamnbig
Okay so I'm currently studying first year at a uni where the first year counts for 10%

However this one module which is maths based, I took 2 tests before january and they accumulate to a worth of 30% on the overall module

I can't understand how I did so bad but the fact is I did and it's really put me down.

I'm scared I'm not gonna be able to average a 2:1 overall for the year, I'll need to get like 75 in my final exam to get a 2:1 for this module so that's out the question

but I'm more worried about averaging a 2:1 overall, am I over thinking this or should I be ready to retake a year?

Have you talked to your lecturer? They will help you understand where you have gone wrong and where you need to succeed.
Definitely talk to the lecturer about it and if you haven't already get feedback from the tests.
You can still pull up the grade with the remaining 70% of the module but to do that you need to know where you've been going wrong.
You don't need a 2.1 in every module to get a 2.1 overall, in my first year I got 48% and 49% in two of my modules and still got a mid 2.1 for the year, it depends how strong your other modules are.

If it is just this module you have a problem with I don't think you should resit the year, I'm not sure they'd let you anyway if you pass. Will you need to do a similiar module next year?

Honestly it isn't too bad, if you think about it if your first year is worth 10% then each module is likely worth less then 2% of your degree. Sure, ideally you want a 2.1 in first year and it'll help if you want a summer placement next year but it certainly isn't going to ruin your degree if you don't manage it :smile:
Original post by Itssodamnbig

It's very unlikely you will be able to retake the year to improve your module grade, assuming you don't fail it. If you get a good 2.1 in your other modules, then a 2.2. in this one shouldn't drag your marks down too much. At university, you're only allowed to retake failed modules- you can't retake to improve your grade.

However, if you failed the first part of the examination, it's possible you don't really understand the content of the module. Have you spoke to the module leader about what went wrong? Do you know what you need to do to improve?

Is this skill/area something you'll need later on in your degree? I'm guessing this is a stats module on a science type course? If you're struggling with the stats now, it could cause you problems later on- as you will need to apply these statistics to complete assignments in later years and during your dissertation.
Reply 4
only 10% just do better enxt ytr

Quick Reply

Latest