The Student Room Group

OMFS/Max-Fax training route (BDS/DDS first)?

Hello, I'm currently in the middle of my DDS degree and have a couple of questions concerning the OMFS training pathway. I'm aware of the general route required to qualify as an OMFS, however I'm still rather confused about the 'interim period' between finishing the first degree and beginning the second MD degree. One/two year(s) would be used in foundation training to obtain a license and register with the BDA, but could that be done in a hospital setting or would it have to be in general practice purely? Is there any way of keeping your dental skills up to par whilst studying medicine full-time for 4 years? And if anyone is actually in the midst of their training, I would hugely appreciate if you could enlighten me about the whole process, because it's completely eluding me!
Many thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi,

You said you're doing a DDS degree, where are you training?

To get into OMFS training you need to have a registrable qualification with the GDC. If your dental degree is from outside the EU, this means you'd have to sit the ORE (overseas registration exam) which from what I hear is a really long, expensive, time consuming process. Otherwise, you'd generally do your vocational training (aka DF1/foundation year 1) in general dental practice to get full GDC registration, and then get a some experience in OMFS/oral surgery to get as much training as you want in a hospital setting. Some people just do 1 year, others do more. It's a good idea to do some networking and audit/research projects during this time as to get into Medicine as a second degree they emphasise that you have to be committed.

While studying for medicine as a second degree almost everyone does some on-call OMFS work on evenings/weekends to help fund things and to keep their skills up. It's also common to do shifts in general practice or emergency dental services.

Right now the OMFS training pathway is changing slightly - you have to do 2 years of foundation medical training anyway, then the standard route was to do 2 years of core surgical training before starting OMFS Specialty training at ST3. Now they've introduced 'run-through' posts which encompass core surgical training and start at ST1.

Hope this helps a bit! I'm in the process of applying for my 2nd degree so I'm not exactly on the training pathway yet but getting there!
Reply 2
Hello, I apologise that I didn't thank you for your reply over a year ago... but I will thank you now! It brought some light to everything.
All the best and good luck with your training!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending