The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nomdeplumeX2
Heeey, I applied to do geography at collingwood :smile:

I don't know anyone who's applied to collingwood so it would be interesting to hear from others who have!

Also, how did people pick their colleges? Did people visit a few and then pick one?

I visited during their open day and absolutely fell in love with Mary's. It was the first one I visited, and had everything I wanted! Lots of people must also choose by looking through all the college websites...or by doing the quiz.

Has anyone been allocated yet? The email said we'd find out by March and the weeks are going by fast now... Eeek! Crossing my fingers that I'll get into Mary's!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hello, thread!

On this page: https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/process/ , it says that college allocations will take place during the third week of February!

I'm so nervous/excited/I JUST WANT TO KNOW. You know? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh thank you for sharing this! Only a few more days now. :ahee:
I reckon we will find out in half term so only around a week to go :smile:
what's everyone's 'second choice' college - like if you don't get allocated your chosen one you'd be most happy to get instead? :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by goodmorningworld
what's everyone's 'second choice' college - like if you don't get allocated your chosen one you'd be most happy to get instead? :smile:

My second choice is probably St John's or St Cuthbert's Society, but I believe they should be oversubscribed too.
How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
The 'college quiz' shows that I am suitable for St Chad's, St John's, University (Castle) and Hatfield.
It doesn't really help, since they all look oversubscribed. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by devils
My second choice is probably St John's or St Cuthbert's Society, but I believe they should be oversubscribed too.
How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hatfield though I doubt that would be given randomly :smile: So probably Johns!

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that cuths is less oversubscribed so you might get there (hopefully we will all get first choices though lol)
Reply 88
Hatfield though I doubt that would be given randomly :smile: So probably Johns!

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that cuths is less oversubscribed so you might get there (hopefully we will all get first choices though lol)

Hope we both go to Chad's :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by nomdeplumeX2
Heeey, I applied to do geography at collingwood :smile:

I don't know anyone who's applied to collingwood so it would be interesting to hear from others who have!

Also, how did people pick their colleges? Did people visit a few and then pick one?

I applied to Collingwood. I visited four colleges on the open day - Chad's, Mary's, Aidan's and Collingwood. I thought Chad's was a bit formal for me and the rooms seemed very variable. Mary's used to be a girls college and it still felt a bit a like an old fashioned girls school. I liked Aidan's but I've got a relative who went there and I wanted to go somewhere different. A friend of the family went to Collingwood and loved it and I liked it when I visited.
Reply 90
Hi,

Thank you for all of your effort!
I am looking for mature students having trouble like me, choosing the right college.

I have an unconditional offer for a master programme for Theology.
At first I thought: well, then I should apply for St. John's. But later I thought, mayby too much Christianity in my studies, so it would be a bit of relief to be in a college with a more different atmosphere.
So that's why St. Chad's came in the picture.

Are their any other mature students with the same issue?
Important is for me:
- A more spacious room, since I am used to my own (very quiet) house.
- A small community
- Friendly people to make new friends easily
- Traditional aspects of the college
- Some nature around the college, like trees or a yard etc.
- Not too much noice from undergraduates, as I am older (nearly 40) and I will need my sleep regularly :biggrin:

Should I think: you study theology so just go for St. John's?
Or should I think: avoid too much theology and go for St. Chad's?

Any advise, especially from postgraduate students, is highly appreciated!

Thank you for the pics. I can not wait for you for the pic's of St. John's, because I will have to respond on my offer letter, which I receive Friday. Reading this tread, I get the impressure, I should react fairly soo, thus by the end of tomorrow, I want to sent the email stating that I accept the offer.

All help is much welcome!!

Original post by Reiss64
Hi everyone! :hi:

So as you know, it's February now- and that means Durham are about to make their college allocations! :biggrin: So I thought we could discuss all college related topics- everything from formal dinners to sports teams to Hill vs Bailey :tongue: So where did you apply to? Have you been allocated to a college that WASN'T your preference? :eek: What do you want out of your college experience? etc. etc. etc.

My name's Reiss and I applied to St. Mary's college for psychology! I'm also really looking forward to the overnight open day- should be a great opportunity to experience college life at wherever they allocate me :smile:

So where are you hoping to go???

College Photos!!! :party:

Just so everyone knows, I shall be posting pictures of all the different colleges throughout this thread- scroll down to find them! :biggrin: (They should start from page 2- I will make one post per college :wink:)

For pictures of University College, Hatfield College, St. Mary's College, St. Chad's College, and Trevelyan College; go to page 2 and scroll down: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2583402&page=2

:smile: More pictures will be coming soon! :smile:
Reply 91
ST. JOHN'S COLLEGE PICTURES:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
ST. AIDAN'S COLLEGE PICTURES:

Spoiler

Reply 93
GREY COLLEGE PICTURES:

Spoiler

Reply 94
Original post by devils
How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just checked out the website, and I realise that Cuth is a Bailey without gowned formal dinners...I was so stupid and actually thought all Bailey colleges were traditional :s-smilie:
Cuth is too large for me too, I actually prefer small colleges like Chads.
So my second choice becomes Johns only. I have heard a lot of people talking about Trevs, it is a small college and I am more of an artistic girl anyway. So maybe I'll like it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Helioghost
I feel so old now. :tongue: I joined this forum in 2009 while applying to Durham, where I met three people I'd end up living with for a year; two of whom are still among my closest friends. Started at Trevs in Oct '09, graduated in Jun '13.

In the third picture of Trevs you posted (the 'gardens' [back lawn]), two of the people on the bench were coursemates of mine, and the girl on the far right was my girlfriend from second term through to graduation.

...yeahhh, gotta correct you on a couple of those captions. :colondollar: "The Gardens" = "The back lawn", "A typical bedroom" = "One of the nicer bedrooms", the landings aren't actually hexagonal (you've got to fit 6 bedrooms, a pantry, a toilet, a corridor, and a staircase around them), and the final picture is of the Quad in the centre of college, not the back lawn.

Haha! I'll definitely have to alter those captions now! :lol:

Original post by man2go
Hi,

Thank you for the pics. I can not wait for you for the pic's of St. John's, because I will have to respond on my offer letter, which I receive Friday. Reading this tread, I get the impressure, I should react fairly soo, thus by the end of tomorrow, I want to sent the email stating that I accept the offer.

All help is much welcome!!

Hey! :hi:

I'm glad to hear you like all the pics! So I just thought I'd let you know I have now added some of St. John's :biggrin:

Enjoy! :wink:

Original post by devils
Just checked out the website, and I realise that Cuth is a Bailey without gowned formal dinners...I was so stupid and actually thought all Bailey colleges were traditional :s-smilie:
Cuth is too large for me too, I actually prefer small colleges like Chads.
So my second choice becomes Johns only. I have heard a lot of people talking about Trevs, it is a small college and I am more of an artistic girl anyway. So maybe I'll like it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cuth's is defo the least formal of the Bailey colleges :lol: I think it's got something to do with the fact that they're a 'society', not a 'college'. Also, I think they don't do the same types of formals as a lot of the college is self catered (it has the most unique catering system in Durham :wink:) And also it's based in two locations!

Both Trevs and John's are amazing colleges- you would be really lucky to get allocated there :biggrin: (if you don't get into Chad's that is :wink:) But I assure you, you'll absolutely fall in love with whatever college you go to- you hear that all the time! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Reiss64

I'm glad to hear you like all the pics! So I just thought I'd let you know I have now added some of St. John's :biggrin:

Cuth's is defo the least formal of the Bailey colleges :lol: I think it's got something to do with the fact that they're a 'society', not a 'college'. Also, I think they don't do the same types of formals as a lot of the college is self catered (it has the most unique catering system in Durham :wink:) And also it's based in two locations!

Both Trevs and John's are amazing colleges- you would be really lucky to get allocated there :biggrin: (if you don't get into Chad's that is :wink:) But I assure you, you'll absolutely fall in love with whatever college you go to- you hear that all the time! :smile:

Thanks for the info :smile:
I will be satisfied if I get allocated to one of these three colleges :colondollar:
But of course I love Chad's the most :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Reiss64

What exactly is the difference between a college and a society? And thank you so much for the pictures. Really helpful! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JosephT
I applied to Collingwood. I visited four colleges on the open day - Chad's, Mary's, Aidan's and Collingwood. I thought Chad's was a bit formal for me and the rooms seemed very variable. Mary's used to be a girls college and it still felt a bit a like an old fashioned girls school. I liked Aidan's but I've got a relative who went there and I wanted to go somewhere different. A friend of the family went to Collingwood and loved it and I liked it when I visited.

Nice :smile: what is it you're studying? I wish I'd had time to look around, but applying to durham was a bit of a last minute thing!

I'm massively bothered as long as I get a medium - large college which is pretty much garuanteed if you get re-allocated I imagine?
Reply 99
Hi all,

I have an unconditional offer for a master ma/msc programme for Spirituality, Theology and Health. Starting in October 2014.

I am looking for mature students who are having trouble like me, choosing the right college to live and work in.
As I live in Holland, I can not come and visit the colleges.
My choice of college is set by tomorrow, for as from Monday on I understood the selection date wil start.

At first I thought: well, then I should apply for St. John's. But later I thought, mayby there is too much Christianity in my studies already, so it would be a bit of relief to be in a college with a more different atmosphere.
So that's why St. Chad's came in the picture.

Are their any other mature students with the same issue?
The issue is: I will have to choose by tomorrow wether I would like to live in St. John's or St. Chad's.

Important is for me:
- A more spacious room, since I am used to my own (small but very quiet) house.
- A small community
- Friendly people to make new friends easily
- Traditional aspects of the college
- Some nature around the college, like trees or a yard etc.
- Not too much noice from undergraduates, as I am older (nearly 40) and I will need my sleep regularly

Should I think: you study theology so just go for St. John's?
Or should I think: avoid too much theology and go for St. Chad's?

Any advise, especially from postgraduate (mature) students, is highly appreciated!

If anyonce could show me a pic of a more spacious Postgraduate room in St. John's college or St. Chad's would be very helpfull to me!
I have already seen some pics in general, but a specific picture of a postgraduate room would be nice.

All help is much welcome!! Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending