The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who actually likes the Royal Family?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamsmithqm
It seems to me (and I might be generalising) but it's usually British people who are against the monarchy for some reason and Non-British people are usually the ones who regard them to be an integral part of the history of the country.

All I hear is "they take our taxes" etc. but they earn the UK far more in tourism and generate more income than they actually take in.

I for one am happy about having a monarchy.

You're not the only one at all, a large majority of the British public do not support abolishing the monarchy. Republicans are the minority.
Reply 21
I rather dig Charles. He's past the age of retirement and hasn't even started his 'real' job yet, but in the meantime he's made a great job of turning the produce from the Duchy of Cornwall into a national brand. He's not remotely cool but he does seem to care and he is true to himself. I like that.
Original post by adamsmithqm
Am I the only one who actually likes the Royal Family?

What do you mean you like them? Do you know them personally?
I do not entirely object to them personally. What I object to is what they represent. They are a very public and continuing reminder that all the great power and wealth in this country is inherited to one extent or another. There is a large nomenklatura of wealthy, well educated, stress free, folk, who glide into top schools, top unis, the city, parliament, quangos, the lords. And all those people generally pretty much suck. All of them are sitting on wealth which was stolen originally from the people.
They exist merely to make us forget our own problems, creating an idealised lifestyle beyond normal life.

Original post by RFowler
You're not the only one at all, a large majority of the British public do not support abolishing the monarchy. Republicans are the minority.

That is potentially true, but that isn't to say that supporters of the status quo are in the majority. Its more generally a mass apathy towards them and an indifference to public policy that concerns them.
(edited 10 years ago)
i quite like the royal family
Original post by MostUncivilised
What do you mean you like them? Do you know them personally?

As in I don't mind having a monarchy and I can see no major downsides to having one and mainly positives.
Reply 27
I like the Queen, she's a rebel deep down I recon. Charles is alright too.

Quick Reply

Latest