The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have to do it for AS/A2 anyway, so it dosen't matter whether it is of any value. I think there are advantages and disadvantages

Advantages
1. You can earn yourself another A-Level in a relatively short period of time compared to other subjects
2. It incorporates different areas from a wide range of diciplines, so it is useful to know about world events and current affairs anyway - not just for the exam
3. It helps to develop essay writing skills and perhaps a good grade indicates that you have a wide awareness of world issues - not sure if this is valid though because they don't always tend to pick events that have been on the news.
4. It can sometimes be used as a barganing tool if you midly miss a university offer.
5. It has been suggested that it provides a reliable indicator as to overall University performance - not sure I agree with this! Develops essay writing skills as well though.

Disadvantages
1. Some of the higher level unviersities don't accept the subject
2. You might have to attend lessons - time which some would consider better spent on othe subjects to improve performance
3. You have to sit the exams or in some cases write a piece of coursework
4. Not everyone is interested in all of the areas that it covers and some people might find parts of it more difficult than others, so you could be at a disadvantage
5. If it was regarded as being of the same value as other courses, then it would be accepted as a 'traditional' A-Level subject.
I do think it's a good subject to have.
1) it shows you can relate back to subjects at GCSE and that you don't just learn the work for exams, but actually remember it
2) shows you have a good overall knowledge. universities want well-rounded students
3) i've got loughborough as my first choice and my A in general studies A level is accepted as part of my loughborough. loughborough this year is 6th in the university league tables (showing good universities do accept it)
Reply 42
Much as I think general studies is a load of crap, certainly not worth an A-level, it has to be more intellectually stimulating than watching Friends or eating ice-cream. So if you arent busy it might be a time filler.
Reply 43
allymcb2
Much as I think general studies is a load of crap, certainly not worth an A-level, it has to be more intellectually stimulating than watching Friends or eating ice-cream. So if you arent busy it might be a time filler.

At least you have the demanding task of choosing what flavour to have when guzzling ice-cream :p:. GS is not even worth that 3 hours of exam time in the Summer.
allymcb2
Southampton is one of the arguments for reducing the number of uk unis. It is worse than pretty crap. I dont care if I annoy you and I shant shut up.

How can one of the universities which stays in the top 30 in all of the league tables I have seen be worse than pretty crap? And how can it be an argument for reducing the number of uk unis? There are some universities which spring to mind (Southampton Solent, for example, who regularly fake degree results or bump them up to 2.1s) which I would have understood as being one of those arguments, but Southampton is a decent university. And even the worst universities in the UK- why should they be reduced? Surely everyone should have the chance to study and gain a degree? If the number of universities in the UK were reduced, say to only include the ones that you listed, many people would not have the chance nor the grades to gain a degree. That's pretty selfish and unnecessary. Nobody is asking you to apply to Southampton anyway.

You're going to Oxford or Cambridge right? I think, ultimately, what one gets out of university is partly defined by the people they shared the experience with. All I'm saying is that thank God not everyone at Cambridge is as arrogant or as naive as you or I would have turned down the offer and accepted Southampton in a heart beat. Sure, it lacks the prestige Cambridge has but I don't think I could stand being around elitist snobs 24/7.
Even though everybody complains about GS and how rubbish it is, there are some universities (ok, not some of the best universities, although I was surprised to find Manchester and Birmingham do) that accept it, and to me that's all that matters. Heck, it's a grade, use it, for all you know it could make the difference on results day whether a university accepts or rejects you.
Reply 46
Everyone would still have a chance to get a degree. They would just need to get higher grades...

Under the current system 40% of people dont even have a-levels, so still not everyone has the chance to go to university. For a good proportion of people university is a waste of time. It would benefit them more to make GCSEs and A-levels hard enough to actually count for something other than entry to education.

And what exactly is naive about my statement? Disdainful and snobbish I could accept.
Not everyone achieves 4 A grades at Alevel, yet work damn hard to get the best they can. Everyone should be allowed a chance to get a degree, whether it be from Oxford, or TVU.
I'm pretty much in the middle on this. In some ways, I agree with allmcb2, but in others, I agree with Jigglypuff and Kittennffc. I don't think unis like Southampton should close down because it's actually pretty good and the entry requirements seem reasonable. But I do think the minimum grades any uni should accept should be CCC in 3 full A-levels. Everyone has the right to an education up to GCSEs, but only those who get Cs have the right to do A-levels because they're the ones capable of doing well. Similarly, only those who get Cs at A-level should have the right to do a degree because anyone with lower grades than that is unlikely to cope. This would enable those who are quite frankly wasting their time at university to pursue something more suitable like an apprenticeship and would also stop degrees being devalued.
Reply 49
Protruding Ahead
Does General Studies carry any worth?

Intrinsically? No.

Otherwise? No.
Reply 50
henryt
At least you have the demanding task of choosing what flavour to have when guzzling ice-cream :p:. GS is not even worth that 3 hours of exam time in the Summer.

.....and just how much ice cream!:p:
Reply 51
No. Well, some unis accept it, but it's disregarded by many unis. It's a pretty random exam, shown by how our school made us do the exams, yet didn't give us any lessons or even explain what was going to be involved in the exam (though they did show us a past paper on 2 of the 6(?) modules throughout the 2 years). I thought the language section was pretty much all guesswork to people who hadn't done languages since GCSE, especially as that was contained in the A2 paper, not even the AS! Same could be said of a few of the other modules actually...

When I had my 'interview' at bath, the guy checked I knew general studies wasn't accepted, before asking "Then why are you even taking it then?". Rather amused me at the time, since most of our school had been asking our teachers that too.
Reply 52
I was lead to believe that virtually no Universities accept General Studies and that it was pretty pointless. At my sixth form we have the choice of that, CSLA, Young Enterprise or Work Experience.

A friend who attends a different college is taking the exam without any lessons. The college are running an experiment to find out if it is possible to get a good grade without taking any lessons, the results will be known when we get our AS results a week tomorrow.
Reply 53
sheffield accepts GS, and it's a really good uni, as (probably) do many others. Also, whilst it's not included in offers, it is taken into account. I also think it's a pretty good measure of how well someone can give an argument about any issue, not only one that they've covered in school
Reply 54
Asriel
At my sixth form we have the choice of that, CSLA, Young Enterprise or Work Experience.

wow
Reply 55
haha we do GS, and CSLA , and YOung Enterprise and we can do our own Work Ex in our own time if we want to lol.
Reply 56
places that accept that i know of:

Sheff
Leeds
Aber
Swansea
Keele
Leicester
Lancaster
Bham (for some courses)

yeh those r the first i can think of but those are the ones that first srpund to mind in terms of including it in ure offer as well.
The teachers at my sixth form college said that General Studies was a good indicator of potential to universities and employers, as you're being tested on subjects that you haven't chosen or dedicated revision time to (well, a bit of revision time, but not a lot). Personally, I took it (along with my other four full A-levels), just because I thought "Why not?" The usefulness of it might not be immediately obvious, but in the future, if you're applying for a university course or job and you're competing against a very similar candidate, your GS A-level may just make the difference.
i used to generally study all the time.

to be honest...it's a bit of a joke subject.

Schools should stop offering it.
Reply 59
random_bloke
i used to generally study all the time.

to be honest...it's a bit of a joke subject.

Schools should stop offering it.

its not like its a real burden and while there are still unis accepting it, theres no real rpoblem with schools doin it. i know that bcoz 4 of my 6 unis accept GS i will actually care about the subec tthis yr lol, coz i can use it (if i ge tan A) as one of my A's lol

Latest

Trending

Trending