The Student Room Group

Victory for the gay agenda

Over the past 15 years, gay people have seen the most incredible change in circumstances. First civil partnerships and now gay marriage have been enacted, the ban in the armed forces has been abolished, they have had equal rights in parenting and adoption conferred, discrimination in respect of employment, accommodation and provision of services have been outlawed.

Perhaps more remarkably, anyone who works in universities, or the armed forces, or the police or the civil service or large investment banks and law firms, would know that these organisations are serious about stamping out anti-gay discrimination. There has been a genuine change in attitude.

Can victory now be declared? As a gay man, I do not feel discriminated against. I feel like a fully-enfranchised, equal member of society, as a result of the amazing work of gay lobbyists and (more so in the last five years) awesome straight allies. Is it fair to say that there no longer needs to be a "gay agenda"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh dear.
Original post by wrote
Oh dear.

Oh what a coincidence, imagine seeing you here on this thread.

Tell me, do you still feel persecuted, as a straight woman, by gay people and transgenders?
Reply 3
And yet the LGBTIN community has one of the highest rates of depression and suicide.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
And yet the LGBTIN community has one of the highest rates of depression and suicide.

How many of them become suicide bombers?
Reply 5
Original post by MostUncivilised
How many of them become suicide bombers?

1. They wouldn't even have it in them to try.

2. They're upset with the world and want to escape it. Whilst the "suicide bomber" believes they're fighting for a good cause, there's no "sadness or depression" in it.

3. The suicide bomber does it to take down not 1, but many enemies. "Self-sacrifice" is glorified in almost every culture throughout history, even today you'll find it in literature and films.

"Suicide because you're upset" on the other hand, has always been looked down upon, and is considered disgraceful.
(edited 10 years ago)
1. They wouldn't even have the balls to even if they tried.

Right. Like Alexander the Great or Micky Burn, there have never been any queer soldiers.

I suppose the difference being that people like Micky Burn were actually fighting for something worth saving, rather than revolting theocracy and the backward religious obsessions of a particular area of the world.

:blah:

The rest is all blather that I really couldn't care less about.
Over the past 15 years, gay people have seen the most incredible change in circumstances. First civil partnerships and now gay marriage have been enacted, the ban in the armed forces has been abolished, they have had equal rights in parenting and adoption conferred, discrimination in respect of employment, accommodation and provision of services have been outlawed.

Perhaps more remarkably, anyone who works in universities, or the armed forces, or the police or the civil service or large investment banks and law firms, would know that these organisations are serious about stamping out anti-gay discrimination. There has been a genuine change in attitude.

Can victory now be declared? As a gay man, I do not feel discriminated against. I feel like a fully-enfranchised, equal member of society, as a result of the amazing work of gay lobbyists and (more so in the last five years) awesome straight allies. Is it fair to say that there no longer needs to be a "gay agenda"?

Awesome. It's nice when members of a formerly-persecuted group recognise that they have won their battles, rather than metamorphose into privilege-seeking whiners and complainers or downright miserable sods (many feminists for example seem not too impressed that women have equal rights in the UK today, and seem to long for a reason to complain about every tiny little vice that still exists rather than celebrating feminism's victory).

At least, the battle has been won in the UK and a few other countries (USA, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Israel, Brazil, Uruguay etc., i.e. the free world). Gay rights are non-existent in many countries still (e.g. Saudi Arabia, Iran, Mauritania, Pakistan, Egypt, Nigeria etc., i.e. the non-free and partly-free world).
And about time as well!
Reply 9
Oh what a coincidence, imagine seeing you here on this thread.

Tell me, do you still feel persecuted, as a straight woman, by gay people and transgenders?

Miss me?
No, of course I dont. Like I said on my OP, I never had an opinion on the topic myself but was going from what I'd read (mostly by tumblr users and other powerpoints) about these things. Anyhow my intention wasn't to bring my own OP into this.

- No more need for a gay agenda? What about other societies?
Reply 10

While people like our good friend here exist:

...there's still work to do.
1. They wouldn't even have it in them to try.

2. They're upset with the world and want to escape it. Whilst the "suicide bomber" believes they're fighting for a good cause, there's no "sadness or depression" in it.

3. The suicide bomber does it to take down not 1, but many enemies. "Self-sacrifice" is glorified in almost every culture throughout history, even today you'll find it in literature and films.

"Suicide because you're upset" on the other hand, has always been looked down upon, and is considered disgraceful.

Anybody who regards innocent civilians in a shop, bus, train or tower block as legitimate targets, is an enemy of humanity.

Furthermore, suicide bombing is almost always done in order to create theocracy. The word "liberty" is outside the vocabulary of the average jihadi.
Original post by Mad Vlad
While people like our good friend here exist:

...there's still work to do.

This reminds me of the recent Stonewall ad, which I absolutely love.

1546003_10152119156780399_1829921958_n.jpg

Less in-your-face, more in keeping with the spirit of the time.
There is still work to be done, but I think (in the UK, in most good, educated areas) gay people are basically equal. Unfortunately, if you consider it worldwide, gay people are still in a ****ty situation.

Bisexual people still aren't recognised by a lot of people as existing, let alone being a legitimate orientation.

And about half of transgender people attempt suicide.
Reply 14
Hopefully one day it'll be the case were people won't have to 'come out as gay' and people won't just assume that everybody is straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Right. Like Alexander the Great or Micky Burn, there have never been any queer soldiers.

Lmao, maybe in your dreams (couldn't care who micky burn's is).

Feel free to actually post evidence, scholarly consensus etc. to back your claim.

I suppose the difference being that people like Micky Burn were actually fighting for something worth saving, rather than revolting theocracy and the backward religious obsessions of a particular area of the world.

If you say so, might want to fix up on your history.

The rest is all blather that I really couldn't care less about.

:rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Lmao, maybe in your dreams (couldn't care who micky burn's is).

If you hate people like Mickey Burn (or couldn't be bothered to find out who he is), why do you even bother living in Britain?

You'd be far more at-ease in Saudi Arabia; the UK's victory over fascism in World War 2 clearly makes you uncomfortable.
And long may it last.
Reply 18
I am not gay, so can't really comment on the declaration of victory. But maybe.
Reply 19
Also, I am guessing this thread is confined to UK only. Because the case is not the same in many other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending