The Student Room Group

Alopecia Areata/Universalis

Has anyone on her suffered from any form of alopecia? I'd be interested in knowing how you/if you have managed to cope with it and what you do to cope with it.

My hair started falling out in September 2013, I finished work and felt through my hair and found a bald patch... over time it ended up starting to fall out all over my head and decided to shave what was left (which wasn't much) off and, well be bald.... That was in October/November and i'm still bald! I'm feel fine about it, i try not to think about it but I don't get depressed over it, but it does get me down but i don't like to make a fuss over it.

However, recently I've noticed that other parts of my body have been loosing hair, specifically my arms, legs and eye lashes.... and somewhere else (which i won't mention), it is starting to annoy me, i just want to be happy for once and it just won't ever happen!!!

Has anyone on her been in, or is in a similar situation as me, I think it's good to talk about things because it is bad to bottle things up over time
Reply 1
Original post by Norrisollie
Has anyone on her suffered from any form of alopecia? I'd be interested in knowing how you/if you have managed to cope with it and what you do to cope with it.

My hair started falling out in September 2013, I finished work and felt through my hair and found a bald patch... over time it ended up starting to fall out all over my head and decided to shave what was left (which wasn't much) off and, well be bald.... That was in October/November and i'm still bald! I'm feel fine about it, i try not to think about it but I don't get depressed over it, but it does get me down but i don't like to make a fuss over it.

However, recently I've noticed that other parts of my body have been loosing hair, specifically my arms, legs and eye lashes.... and somewhere else (which i won't mention), it is starting to annoy me, i just want to be happy for once and it just won't ever happen!!!

Has anyone on her been in, or is in a similar situation as me, I think it's good to talk about things because it is bad to bottle things up over time

My uncle has alopecia. He's lost all of his hair over his entire body. He seems to be okay with it though he found it difficult to start with where people didn't recognise him.
The most annoying thing I think he finds is his eyelashes being gone and him getting loads more dirt in his eyes.

On the bright side, you won't have to shave. :redface:

Have you thought about getting yourself a wig or something? Your doctor may be able to talk through cosmetic things like that which may help you feel better about it.

I'm afraid I can't offer much moral support since I don't understand it fully, but i'm glad you're trying not to let it get you down. It must be very difficult to come to terms with. I'm sorry you have to. You might be able to find a group of other sufferers somewhere online. Hopefully it would help knowing you're not the only one and being able to vent with others who understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Surprised people even know about this. It's very hard for people to live with those conditions. Surprisingly how losing hair can make your life hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest