The Student Room Group

Do I need fake friends in life?

So basically as it says in the title. My friends disrespect me and don't really stay by my side in life. They show jealousy at me because they failed their A-levels while I got into LSE. They do call me to go out with them and take me as their friend but this is typical of (some) rich people who usually don't really put much faith into friendship. Friendship for them is going to expensive clubs after getting high in their fancy apartment. I feel like if I leave them I'll accomplish much more in life. I don't want to be materialistic person although my family is quite well off. Thats why I applied to do history.
They are ignorant boys who know nothing except for Rolex, AUDI R8, Tyga and Drake (and the only music that I CAN listen to is Rock n Roll and Classical). They didn't know that conservatives gained the majority in the last election and weren't aware of the occurrence of World War One!! It's really weird for me how they don't have any response to current affairs. They talk the same **** over and over again. I can now foretell what they are going to say before they finish sentence. I feel like a fish out of water when I hang out with them. Its fine whatever they enjoy but they don't share the same interest with me and I sometimes feel like I have nothing to talk about with them.
So what do I do?
a) Leave them and be a loner (almost) or
b) hang out with them just for now with the hope that things will get better when I go to LSE(I hope the social life is not as bad as everyone says, it's a political atmosphere at least)?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Continue hanging out with them but keep it to a minimal and eventually cut it down.

Gradually, you'll move on.
No you don't! Its better to be a loner than to hang out with fake 'friends' if you can even call them that..

You'll meet loads of new people as you grow up and go to new places. Life is too short to be with people that make you unhappy :smile:
Reply 3
Any relationship you have should be pleasing not burdensome. if they don't respect you don't take them on.
Reply 4
Also, I read your OP, well they are who they are. Many people don't give a **** about politics, and if they like Rolexs so be it. it's not so much they're bad people, but you and they are different people.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
So basically as it says in the title. My friends disrespect me and don't really stay by my side in life. They show jealousy at me because they failed their A-levels while I got into LSE. They do call me to go out with them and take me as their friend but this is typical of (some) rich people who usually don't really put much faith into friendship. Friendship for them is going to expensive clubs after getting high in their fancy apartment. I feel like if I leave them I'll accomplish much more in life. I don't want to be materialistic person although my family is quite well off. Thats why I applied to do history.
They are ignorant boys who know nothing except for Rolex, AUDI R8, Tyga and Drake (and the only music that I CAN listen to is Rock n Roll and Classical). They didn't know that conservatives gained the majority in the last election and weren't aware of the occurrence of World War One!! It's really weird for me how they don't have any response to current affairs. They talk the same s**t over and over again. I can now foretell what they are going to say before they finish sentence. I feel like a fish out of water when I hang out with them. Its fine whatever they enjoy but they don't share the same interest with me and I sometimes feel like I have nothing to talk about with them.
So what do I do?
a) Leave them and be a loner (almost) or
b) hang out with them just for now with the hope that things will get better when I go to LSE(I hope the social life is not as bad as everyone says, it's a political atmosphere at least)?

Ironic.
Reply 6
What are you getting out of friendship with them, truly? If you say 'company' then that is void - this is not good, positive company, which should be the only company you get. Unless you think that being without friends for a little while (and that's assuming cutting these guys out will leave you totally friendless) will harm you mentally, I say cut them out. They sound like idiots whilst you sound like a potentially nice man, after the slight narcissism is looked past.
Do you have any hobbies or other societies you could become a part of before university to keep you busy?
(edited 10 years ago)
Woah it's mr johnny big *******s right here
Reply 8
Original post by inniz
Also, I read your OP, well they are who they are. Many people don't give a **** about politics, and if they like Rolexs so be it. it's not so much they're bad people, but you and they are different people.

I did acknowledge that in the post. The issue is whether I should leave them or not.
I mean at least I get to spend some time with them and not get bored in my room. maybe there is something wrong with me that makes people not respect me as much. But they different than me and thats another issue.
Reply 9
Original post by omfgblackpeople
Woah it's mr johnny big *******s right here

sorry I didn't understand your point here:confused:
Reply 10
Original post by awe
What are you getting out of friendship with them, truly? If you say 'company' then that is void - this is not good, positive company, which should be the only company you get. Unless you think that being without friends for a little while (and that's assuming cutting these guys out will leave you totally friendless) will harm you mentally, I say cut them out. They sound like idiots whilst you sound like a potentially nice man, after the slight narcissism is looked past.
Do you have any hobbies or other societies you could become a part of before university to keep you busy?

Not from my school. Its a very small private college with only 100 or so A-level students. Everyone is pretty much the same.
Difficult to say. I had fake friends for the latter years of secondary school. Then I quit the group and suddenly I was on my own, had nobody to go to assembly with, no one to ask about the homeworks, no one to chat to. It sucked. Overall, I think I preferred the fake friends situation because, even though it wasn't very enjoyable, it was better than being completely ostracised from the rest of your year.
you don't need them
Reply 13
Original post by Maid Marian
Difficult to say. I had fake friends for the latter years of secondary school. Then I quit the group and suddenly I was on my own, had nobody to go to assembly with, no one to ask about the homeworks, no one to chat to. It sucked. Overall, I think I preferred the fake friends situation because, even though it wasn't very enjoyable, it was better than being completely ostracised from the rest of your year.

thank you for your contribution :smile:. Did you find real friends after secondary school? I am beginning to feel it'll always be like this.:frown:
Hang with them but try and make new friends aswell.
Original post by Anonymous
thank you for your contribution :smile:. Did you find real friends after secondary school? I am beginning to feel it'll always be like this.:frown:

Ah, not really. At least, not yet. But things are better in that I'm exposed to different people now, so at least I don't have to suffer the humiliation of being the one who everyone knew had no friends, anymore!
Reply 16
Original post by Amandablanks
Hang with them but try and make new friends aswell.

This.

Don't cut them off instantly without a new group of friends to hang out with. Company is company and even if it's **** you won't go completely insane. There's no reason to put much, or even barely any effort into them, remember this is about you and you only need to see them as much as necessary. Spend the rest of your time trying to find or form a new social circle.

Original post by Secretnerd123
No you don't! Its better to be a loner than to hang out with fake 'friends' if you can even call them that..

It really isn't, have you ever actually been in this situation? No offense meant at all but this is the kind of response I'd expect from someone who has usually had a steady group of friends.
Reply 17
You make them sound like they are rich. Are they?
If they are then they are VERY money obsessed and will only truly be friends with other money obsessed people.
Hang out/ talk to them but gradually lose communication. You will find truer friends in the meantime or find hobbies, sports club etc to find people like you / same interests.
I would rather be alone than hang out with someone pretending to be friends with you.
It is definitely better to have at least 1 good friend than 10 fake friends. I know as I had this problem recently my so called group of friends went out a few times without me. However one of my friends who I did not know that well at the time told me and now were are quite close and do not speak to the bitches anymore. The best choice I ever made. You will make good friends you just need 2 ditch that group. I thought about letting it slide but it's just not possible you will always be thinking in the back of your mind that they don't really want you as a friend.

As manowar would say f*** the world or in the case these "friends"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending