The Student Room Group

Australian Internship: Visa type?

Hi,

Basically, I want to apply for an internship linked with the University of Melbourne that is run through my university (Birmingham). Part of the application process is creating a budget, which needs to include the cost of a visa.

This is where I'm getting confused.

On the guidance form I was given, it says:

Please note that in this instance, an Occupational Training visa is required, rather than a student visa. It will cost $165 per person to apply (as the museum is already a registered sponsor). It will take at least 2 months for Immigration to process the application and so you must be prepared to start this process as soon as you are advised whether you have been successful. It is quicker if the applicant lodges their visa application online.

However, when I click on the link for it, it says that the Occupational Training visa has been discontinued. I can't work out now what visa I would be looking at.

If it's any help:
-Internship working in a museum
-6 weeks long
-Museum is a registered sponsor (?)
-Coming from the UK as a UK national

If anyone can give me any idea of what it is I need to be looking at, I'll be very grateful! :smile:
'Working' in Australia even if its unpaid requires a work-permit. Australia has recently got very strict about this, mainly to protect Australian 'jobs' being taken by foreigners and employers using obscure 'training' visas to get an overseas worker for nothing.

You need to contact whoever is organises this either at Birmingham or Melbourne and ask what is happening now the visa class has been withdrawn. I suspect that if that visa has been discontinued then its likely the Internship will no longer be running.

If you want work experience in Australia then a Working Holiday visa is a MUCH better idea. You can actually apply for real professional work and get paid for it. http://www.essex.ac.uk/coursefinder/course_details.aspx?course=ba++w494

Quick Reply