The Student Room Group

Fifth Year Choices

At the moment my school is beginning the choice process for fifth year and I am looking for advice on mine. At the moment I am sitting all my subjects at National 5 level and all my teachers say I have the potential to go on and do highers.

I would like to take:

Higher Maths

Higher English

Higher Physics

Higher Computing

Crash Higher History

I am looking for advice on how hard is it to do 5 highers?
How hard is it to crash higher history?
What would my options be in sixth year?

At the moment I don't know what I want to do after school but I am thinking about going to university. Also I currently don't know what subjects will do the new highers and what ones will do the old as it is up to the individual department. Thanks :smile:
I think maths and physics are the same as the old highers. If new highers is the same as the old ones, you will need to up your game slightly in 5th year. The jump will only be as hard as you make it - so put in the work!
My friend is crashing History (he is a bit of an idiot) and is doing pretty well with it, so Id imagine you will be fine. Im crashing Higher Biology and barely even needed to learn anything new from the previous qualification!
Well in 6th year you could look at Adv Highers, do more Highers or leave for Uni.
Id advise you to look at uni websites and see what courses take your fancy. Dont pick subjects then find out that you need other ones to do the course that you want to do.
Reply 2
5 Highers is difficult but the extent of the difficult depends on your natural ability at the subject but more importantly how hard you are willing to work to achieve good grades.

How difficult you find history will depend on your essay writing ability. Due to you planning on doing English I can imagine you are good at it and I assume you are doing another social subject? Many people do history having done other social subjects due to a lot of the skills being transferable.

Your options for 6th year depends very much on what you want to do when you leave. Provided you do well you could take some of those subjects to advance higher level, take up highers in subjects you dropped after fourth year, take up completely new subjects or hopefully it won't come to this but, resit some of the courses.

Overall you have a good selection of courses which won't limit down your choices too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending