The Student Room Group

IMAT 29th April 2014 - Medicine in Italy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dj-in-da-house
Hey no problem! Like i said i havent seen any italian unis asking for specific subjects with set grades..but its mostly A-C and 6 passes for gcse inc maths and english! :smile: I've only been looking at university of milan and pavia mainly because how cheap the annual fees are compared to other european unis :smile:
I'm not doing the imat this year because i only started researching about this couple of weeks ago so i dont think i have enough time to prepare for it as well as my A2 exams! :frown:

Yeah I had emailed the unis and just got a reply and they don't really seem that bothered tbh because all they said was that its important to have the a-levels so that's good news :biggrin: and im looking at the same two unis and thinking of putting Pavia as first and Milan as second so yeah and its still a month left and I am mostly revising for the first bit of the Imat because the second part is just relevant to a-levels and I'm not up for a gap year so thought I might aswell do it this year tbh because there is not much to lose if you think about it so you could take it too if you wanted?! what are you going to be doing yourself as in are you going to take a gap year or start a different course then apply? xxx
Reply 41
Original post by Brightregions
Firstly, the quality of life;

-This depends on which city you go to with Milan and Rome being the biggest cities in Italy. More expensive than the other cities but that's to be expected with big and congested towns.
-Bureaucracy is a headache everywhere.
-Italy, although in the heart of Europe, isn't so european. Don't always expect nice customer services and politeness.
-As you know corruption here is of ancient roots so it halted much of this country's progress so every now and then you'll remember that when you see bad infrastructure here and there, homeless people, and thugs that are out there to take your pocket money.
-Food quality will increase, that's for sure. Pizze, ice cream, and coffee.
-Rents are cheap but in Roma and Milano, if you were to rent a room in shared apartment then you're looking between 400 and 500 Euros. In naples, it's like 300-400 Euros and can be cheaper depending on the quality of the place you're looking for.
-Nightlife isn't bad at all, all the big cities in Italy are quite vibrant in culture and nightlife. That shouldn't be your sole aim however.

Secondly, the quality of education;

-The courses that have fewer students will surely guarantee a good professor to student interactions but the personal elements are also to be accounted for as some professors will go the extra mile to deliver their materials, others won't. I must say my impression now is far better than what I've heard. In fact, we get an excellent treatment compared to our Italian counterparts.
-I'm a graduate of a London uni and TBH with you, lectures are the same wherever you go to study medicine, what matters is what you do in your own time.
-Perhaps, one of the things that irritates me here is that they don't look at the practical side of learning things but rather focus on the old methodology of "book memorisation".
-You only get to do real practical work in the hospital from year III onwards.

-Although we lack a library, there's a big one in the town centre (five minutes from campus) for students from all the universities in town, which isn't bad.

-Some professors in Year I, dealing with basic sciences had a very bad accent or bad English altogether. This year, however, there's a great reflection with professors who are grads from Cambridge, Oxford, and UCL.

I suggest you read around more regarding each uni specifically as I can't be speaking for all unis especially in the case of Milano and Paiva as I have no idea how their system runs. All the points mentioned above are specific to my uni.

I could write a book about the quality of both life and uni here but I guess you should fly here(City X) in the summer to see it for yourself.

The problem you mentioned of person X or person Y.
Assuming that
X ---> Pavia first choice
X----> Milan second choice
IMAT score of 50

Y--->Milan first choice
scores 49 on the test

As you know now, all of the unis will give there offers simultaneously with the list of all applicants published and it's arranged by their average score;

e.g
Name Choices Score Decision
George C Roma, Milano, Pavia 90 Accepted Roma
Fredrik A Pavia, Milano, Naples 89 Rejected offer
Michael L Pavia, Roma, Bari 87 Accepted Pavia
Ali M Milano, Naples, Roma 85 Accepted Milan

You see, the offers will be released once the guys at the top take their offers and accept them. Once they fill in their allocated spaces, you'll automatically be put on the waiting list for choice 2, then 3, then 4...etc

In the cases where the offer is rejected by the student or they did't accept it within three days, it will automatically be labelled as rejected and his offer will be transferred to the following candidate with the same first choice.

If you are waiting for the students ahead of you to accept their offers while you pray they don't, the que of your second choice uni might reach you and you get the offer while waiting, at that time you can reject it and wait for your first choice or accept it.

The scores will be updated weekly and every week late or offer rejectors will be eliminated from the process.

It's long and strenuous and in my opinion "retarded" as it leaves you on your toes not knowing what to do next and when to book your flight for to go and register.

However, this is all from last year and I'm not sure how it will work this year but I'm assuming that many changes will take place. The results are meant to be published early this year so maybe they're planning to give you guys more time to come down after you accept your offer online.

This kind of ended up being a long article but I hope it helps.

Kind regards,

brightregions

Hi sorry I'm doing the IMAT this year as well and I lived in Italy for a very long period of time. Do you know how or where do we find about the ranking?
Original post by dlord
Hi sorry I'm doing the IMAT this year as well and I lived in Italy for a very long period of time. Do you know how or where do we find about the ranking?

Hi,

Are you asking about the global ranking of Italian universities or the Italian ranking of their universities?
Reply 43
Hi,

Are you asking about the global ranking of Italian universities or the Italian ranking of their universities?

I don't know, what's the difference? Anyway I'm talking about the ranking that italian universities will use for the application process
Reply 44
That depends on the university and how lenient it is. In Naples, they allowed me sufficient time after enrolment to get my papers done but I suggest you ask the uni of your interest anyway as they all have different approaches to the enrolment process as it's done internally using with their own guidelines.

Financially, it would cost around 120£ to get it all completed excluding the cost of postal services. If you find a reasonable priced notary public and have your documents notarised as a bundle and apostilled as one document, then you can get it all done for about the price I mentioned, which isn't that bad.

Just had my certificates back from the NP appositilled and notarised, when should I send them to the consulate?
Original post by Rhys Chuk
Just had my certificates back from the NP appositilled and notarised, when should I send them to the consulate?

That's great! The consulate takes from 2 weeks to a month to finish it but you still have plenty of time so whenever you feel you should go ahead with it.

Print out the form from the consulate's website and send it off.

You'll be done nice and early. Just have it at hand for the moment when its needed.

Regards
Original post by defqonn
Hi Brightregions,

I would just like to check with you if the degree awarded at the end of the 6-year Medicine program entirely taught in English at La Sapienza is "Laurea in Medicinae Chirurgia" or "Doctor of Medicine & Surgery" or "MUDr" - "Medicinae Universae Doctor" (M.D.) - Doctor of General Medicine?

Looking forward to your response and thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
defqonn

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I must have missed your input.

In Italy, the title of "Dottore in Medicina e Chirurgia" (literally "Doctor in Medicine and Surgery") is awarded after completion of a Master's course in Medicine and Surgery (lasting six years) in a University. After obtaining this degree, graduates have to pass a state examination (called "abilitazione") through which they acquire the right to work as a medical doctor. All Doctors then must enroll to a specialization school for a specific medical field.

MUDr is the standard qualification you'll get in countries like the Czech Republic I think.

That's according to Wiki anyway.

Kind regards
Original post by dlord
I don't know, what's the difference? Anyway I'm talking about the ranking that italian universities will use for the application process

Hi,

The ranking of accepted students will be published on this website. You'll get your log in details when you do the test.

http://www.accessoprogrammato.miur.it/2014/index.html

The results should be published in June this year.

Kind regards,

Brightregions
Reply 48
Hi,

The ranking of accepted students will be published on this website. You'll get your log in details when you do the test.

http://www.accessoprogrammato.miur.it/2014/index.html

The results should be published in June this year.

Kind regards,

Brightregions

Thank you very much for all the help!
Reply 49

how long did it take you to do all this? cuz ill b getting my a level results in august so i just wnt to know approx. how long itll take me.

thx!
Reply 50
Original post by a-shah
how long did it take you to do all this? cuz ill b getting my a level results in august so i just wnt to know approx. how long itll take me.

thx!

All notarising and appostilling done in less than a week, haven't sent them off to the consulate yet but I assume that will take a few weeks to come back!
Reply 51
All notarising and appostilling done in less than a week, haven't sent them off to the consulate yet but I assume that will take a few weeks to come back!

Ok thx that's great!
Reply 52
Could anybody tell me what all the notarising and apostilling means and where I could get it done in Manchester. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone revising for the imat? I am currently in A2 so the science and maths content should be fine but its the first section that's quite hard to revise. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Januu Dolly
How is everyone revising for the imat? I am currently in A2 so the science and maths content should be fine but its the first section that's quite hard to revise. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Samez. I'm in A2 aswell, I've bought the imat book from Amazon along with the BMAT. The imat book is helpful as it has lots of Qs on conclusions and assumptions e.t.c and problem solving, and the BMAT book helps with the problem solving. Both books have stuff on bio chem maths and physics.
Wat unis did u apply for?
Reply 55
What universities are you all looking at? The deadline is tomorrow so I am hoping to get apply for the imat today!

This is the biggest decision I have made- not knowing if I should apply or not!
Original post by a-shah
Samez. I'm in A2 aswell, I've bought the imat book from Amazon along with the BMAT. The imat book is helpful as it has lots of Qs on conclusions and assumptions e.t.c and problem solving, and the BMAT book helps with the problem solving. Both books have stuff on bio chem maths and physics.
Wat unis did u apply for?

That's a good idea! I may go invest in them :smile: I applied for Milan, Pavia and Sapienzia... What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by Januu Dolly
That's a good idea! I may go invest in them :smile: I applied for Milan, Pavia and Sapienzia... What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My first choice is Pavia, then milan, napoli, sapienza
Reply 58
Original post by ZW17
What universities are you all looking at? The deadline is tomorrow so I am hoping to get apply for the imat today!

This is the biggest decision I have made- not knowing if I should apply or not!

Hve u already applied for uni here in England?
Reply 59
Looking at the past papers , what Dyou all think of this imat test?
Its a bit confusing cuz some Qs are pretty easy and some are the complete opposite of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending