The Student Room Group

The generic 'Am I good enough?' post. Please help!

Hi.

I'm currently in College and I'd like to study Medicine at University. My GCSE grades are 1 A*, 7 A's and 2 B's. I realise these results aren't the best for Medicine and my AS predictions are CCBB (even though I got straight A's in the mocks we done).

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to whether I'd still stand a chance at applying to a University (not a top 3 or even 5 Uni) to study Medicine. I see other peoples grades on here and wonder if there's actually any point considering the level of competition.

Obviously this is from an academic stand point and isn't a holistic view at all, obviously work experience is equally important but a rough guideline would be nice so I can decide whether or not I should try and go for work experience which is medical-related or not.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Sigma Bond
Hi.

I'm currently in College and I'd like to study Medicine at University. My GCSE grades are 1 A*, 7 A's and 2 B's. I realise these results aren't the best for Medicine and my AS predictions are CCBB (even though I got straight A's in the mocks we done).

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to whether I'd still stand a chance at applying to a University (not a top 3 or even 5 Uni) to study Medicine. I see other peoples grades on here and wonder if there's actually any point considering the level of competition.

Obviously this is from an academic stand point and isn't a holistic view at all, obviously work experience is equally important but a rough guideline would be nice so I can decide whether or not I should try and go for work experience which is medical-related or not.

Thank you.

1) don't worry about league tables for medicine too much its all about course tbh
2) they're not going to be top gcses but A's at AS will cover for this at many unis, it's all about doing the research and applying tactically. Just look really carefully at which unis put less emphasis on gcses and more emphasis on your stronger qualities perhaps as grades or work experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about whether the uni you apply to is top 3/5- they're all competitive!

It does however depend on the university- some of them rate A levels really highly, and that's pretty much the only thing they consider outside of personal statement/interview, but some of them (Nottingham especially) rate GCSE's really highly. The standard offer is going to be AAA-so if you think you can get that, go for it, but apply tactically if you think your predicted grades (A level) will be a disadvantage. Some universities weight applications highly on their scores in medical admissions tests (UKCAT, BMAT etc) so think about how likely you are to do well in those as well.

I wouldn't worry about AS predictions unless you think you're likely to get those grades- if you do really well in your AS's, the uni will see that. Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you!
Original post by Sigma Bond
Hi.

Thank you.

Have exactly the same GCSE grades and I'm final year at UCL medical school.

Get on with the rest of your application!
Reply 5
Original post by DoctorInTraining

That's great to hear!
Reply 6

Also worth considering that gcse results have as a whole got higher since then supposedly as have the number of medical applicants so this has a limited amount of comfort!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma201295
Also worth considering that gcse results have as a whole got higher since then supposedly as have the number of medical applicants so this has a limited amount of comfort!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two things...

1. That attitude is not helpful to the OP - determination is key and plus OP can't change their grades now as many units do look for "first attempt" grades

2. I know someone accepted this academic cycle to Bristol with 3As, 5Bs and 2Cs for medicine - so whilst standards have improved, it is by no means impossible.
Reply 8
Two things...

1. That attitude is not helpful to the OP - determination is key and plus OP can't change their grades now as many units do look for "first attempt" grades

2. I know someone accepted this academic cycle to Bristol with 3As, 5Bs and 2Cs for medicine - so whilst standards have improved, it is by no means impossible.

I was simply saying that personal anecdote from 5 years ago isnt grounds to think youre okay if you look at what I've said on this post I made it very clear it's not impossible regardless of things such as gcse you just have to carefully and tactically apply to medical schools. But thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending