The Student Room Group

Changing Conditions

I have just recieved an offer (my final one), and it has the same grades as the firm I know I will choose. The university in question has offer criteria AAA-A*AA, and I was given an A*AA offer. If I email them and say I have to reject them because I got the A*AA offer, but I would be interested if they lowered their offer, would there be any possibility they would change it, or is there no chance they would change?

Thanks.
I doubt they would, especially as they'd suspect that you just plan to put them down as an insurance choice.
Bear in mind that the lower offer (AAA) is likely meant for disadvantaged applicants. They gave you that offer because they believe that those are the grades somebody should be able to achieve if they are going to succeed on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CJG21
I have just recieved an offer (my final one), and it has the same grades as the firm I know I will choose. The university in question has offer criteria AAA-A*AA, and I was given an A*AA offer. If I email them and say I have to reject them because I got the A*AA offer, but I would be interested if they lowered their offer, would there be any possibility they would change it, or is there no chance they would change?

Thanks.

No, because the whole reason that they've given you an A*AA offer is to stop you from putting them as an insurance choice. Universities do not want to be your insurance, it's certainly not a desirable position for them to be in so they make offers in a way where they hope that they will make it as a firm.

The typical offers are simply typical offers - they've given you an offer within their margins and as the other poster has said, it's likely that the AAA offers go to people who fit certain admissions criteria that you do not fit. There will be an exact admissions policy written out and the admissions officers will have allocated you the offer of the group that you fell into. They don't have to give you a typical offer if they don't want, they'd have been within their rights to offer you A*A*A* or EEE if they wanted.
I mean, you could send them an email- it wouldn't cause the offer to be withdrawn or anything BUT unless your circumstances have changed the answer will be no.

There's some information about grade ranges as entry requirements on this thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2513010

Basically, unless otherwise specified, the lower offer is probably intended for students with mitigating circumstance of some kind. It may also be intended for applicants who are applying based on A levels taken before the A* was introduced. This means your chances of getting an AAA offer were always quite low to start with.

As has been said, universities aren't that keen on being your insurance choice. A university that's popular enough to be able to ask for A*AA probably isn't struggling to fill its courses, so they won't be that worried about losing one applicant.

Hopefully you've got somewhere else to use as your insurance.
Reply 4
It is worth mentioning that the AAA offer is not just mitigating cirrcumstances in this instance it is a legitimate offer.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

It's worth a try surely. It might not work but you won't lose anything by trying. I tried it with Durham and I'm also trying it with Bristol. Didn't work for Durham :frown: but you won't regret it.
Original post by gmseahorse
It is worth mentioning that the AAA offer is not just mitigating cirrcumstances in this instance it is a legitimate offer.

What do you mean by this?

Where a grade range is given as the standard offer online or in the prospectus, the lower offer is usually only used for applicants from diasdvantaged backgrounds, those with mitigating circumstances, and occasionally applicants that really impress with their other experience.

The only exception to this is grade ranges which specifiy certain subjects- some science subjects will specify lower offers based on the amount of science A-levels candidates do.
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
What do you mean by this?

Where a grade range is given as the standard offer online or in the prospectus, the lower offer is usually only used for applicants from diasdvantaged backgrounds, those with mitigating circumstances, and occasionally applicants that really impress with their other experience.

The only exception to this is grade ranges which specifiy certain subjects- some science subjects will specify lower offers based on the amount of science A-levels candidates do.

I know which course and which university he's applying for. Both offers are given although this year there has been a massive bias towards a*aa last year there was a bias towards aaa.
Original post by gmseahorse
I know which course and which university he's applying for. Both offers are given although this year there has been a massive bias towards a*aa last year there was a bias towards aaa.

I'm assuming you're not in a position to know the situations of all the applicants, though?

It's unfortunate if they've put their entry requirements up a bit this year. However, this suggests that the standard of applicants has been higher this year- so they really won't need to lower their offer for you.

Universities at this sort of level don't generally want to be people's insurances anyway, especially if they have pushed their grades up this year.

Obviously sending an email won't do any harm, but the answer is very very likely to be no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending