The Student Room Group

I'm 18st, on a mission to lose 6 stone by end of july!

Hi guys, I'm a 20 year old male and I weigh 18st, I'm on a mission to lose 6 stone by the end of july.

I have decided to take 6 months off my complicated self-employed work to concentrate on my studies and just chill for a bit.

There's also this girl in my college class, which I really like, she's really cute and even though I hardly speak to her, I dropped her home the other day and i felt like we were like couples! :colondollar: I like her a lot, want to ask her out now but even if she said yes, I lack confidence that the relationship wouldn't work. She says she might not come back the 2nd year, we finish in june so need to start now and make a move before she possibly goes!

Life is too short, I'm 21 by the end of the year, never had a gf, and I just want to venture out more, but my lack of confidence issue is holding me back big time.

Going to start the gym tomorrow, half 5 hopefully I will stick with it and change my life for the better! Will also have to change my diet completely which I am going to do also.

Wish me luck! Will update thread regularly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chubsterz
Hi guys, I'm a 20 year old male and I weigh 18st, I'm on a mission to lose 6 stone by the end of july.

I have decided to take 6 months off my complicated self-employed work to concentrate on my studies and just chill for a bit.

There's also this girl in my college class, which I really like, she's really cute and even though I hardly speak to her, I dropped her home the other day and i felt like we were like couples! :colondollar: I like her a lot, want to ask her out now but even if she said yes, I lack confidence that the relationship wouldn't work. She says she might not come back the 2nd year, we finish in june so need to start now and make a move before she possibly goes!

Life is too short, I'm 21 by the end of the year, never had a gf, and I just want to venture out more, but my lack of confidence issue is holding me back big time.

Going to start the gym tomorrow, half 5 hopefully I will stick with it and change my life for the better! Will also have to change my diet completely which I am going to do also.

Wish me luck! Will update thread regularly.

How tall are you?

I'm in a similar place to you weight-wise. 6 stone in 6 months is an awful lot though and I'm not sure you'll be able to do that healthily. 2-3 stone might be more realistic. Unless you're really short then 12 stone could be an unattainable target regardless of time!

You need to also be careful making such radical changes, if you suddenly overhaul your diet and exercise then you are likely to fall off the wagon on one or the other (or both). You need to make a few smaller changes a week and let them stick before making more. I know because I'm going through the exact same process right now!

My exercise is going well but I am still finding and working on recipes to make healthy eating more appealing. I have already exhausted my list of healthy food that I enjoy within two months so am constantly looking out for new things.
Reply 2
Motivation is great, but PLEASE be realistic. Doing this is near impossible and if you do, it won't be healthy!

6 stone by July is 38kg in 5 months/21 weeks. That's approximately a 15000 calorie deficit a week, unless you want to lose all your muscle. I would advise to take a year to reach your goal and focus on being healthy and losing weight at a healthy rate, while training and feeling good without screwing up your hormones which take so much longer to repair.

Just take things slower. Start strength training 3x a week, walk an hour a day, on incline ideally, and eat primarily vegetables, meat, a bit of fruit and eggs.

AM - bowl full of mixed fruit
Gym and/or long walk
lunch - meat/fish, plenty of veg
afternoon - boiled eggs
dinner - meat/fish, plenty of veg

Follow a strength training programme that isn't ridiculously high in volume as you won't have the glycogen stores to do all of it. I can help you here or you can find tons of programmes online. Choose lower volume.

You will still be at a large calorie deficit which if you have lots of weight to lose, is OK. 1kg a week is a good goal. Do that till July and you are past half way there and you can ask her out... tell her you've been losing weight for her etc. Then, slow it down a little more and you'll be there by Christmas. Keep in contact with her.

38kg in 5 months is just silly dude! Keep the motivation and follow a realistic plan like above. Life will be hell trying to lose that much and you will end up unhealthy and/or fail.

Hope that helps.
Good luck :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not healthy or realistic.
Dont ask her out, tell her your taking her out to (wherever you want,) saying itd be good to get to know her. If she says no who cares, its a stepping stone to building confidence coinciding with the ego you'll get building a better physique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I lost 8 stone in 8 months last year with the help of a personal trainer by eating well and exercising regularly. I did it all completely healthily as I lost 25% of pure body fat. I'm testament that it can be done so keep at it
Reply 5
I'm very sorry but this is unrequited love. Even if you lost the weight she would say no.

I can tell by your typing style that you are a typical nice guy, and you probably have a sub-5 face to match.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest